PDA

View Full Version : Super Fuels Report

g8legnum
25-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Has anyone seen the report from Which? that apparently berates the so-clled super fuels like Shell V-Power. According to one media report, Which? Car says: 'Fuel companies make bold claims for 'super fuels', but they don't save you money, improve your car's performance, or save the environment.'

Experts at Which? Car tested three of the most popular superfuels - Shell V-Power, Tesco Super Unleaded and BP Ultimate Diesel against standard fuels.

Their report concluded that there was 'little justification for using them'.

It added: 'Superfuels are more expensive at the pumps but advertisers often claim they can optimise a car's economy and increase power.'

Interesting that they used a Ford Focus 1.6 for the test and there was no mention about the needs of todays performance cars, and their need to be running on 99 Octane fuel wherever possible.

Wodjno
25-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Has anyone seen the report from Which? that apparently berates the so-clled super fuels like Shell V-Power. According to one media report, Which? Car says: 'Fuel companies make bold claims for 'super fuels', but they don't save you money, improve your car's performance, or save the environment.'

Experts at Which? Car tested three of the most popular superfuels - Shell V-Power, Tesco Super Unleaded and BP Ultimate Diesel against standard fuels.

Their report concluded that there was 'little justification for using them'.

It added: 'Superfuels are more expensive at the pumps but advertisers often claim they can optimise a car's economy and increase power.'

Interesting that they used a Ford Focus 1.6 for the test and there was no mention about the needs of todays performance cars, and their need to be running on 99 Octane fuel wherever possible.

For cars that were not built for running high octane fuel.. Your correct.. There is not much difference..

But for cars that were built to run on 100 octane fuel, and High Performance cars and cars that are highly modified and running higher bost levels.. Then there is a differene and not only pwer and torque increases, but also the safety of the car by stopping Knock(pinking) that is a major concern with running higher boost /yes

HMG1K
25-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Basically Which? carried out a report that gave it the findings it wanted - and the media coverage it was after.

As you both say if they had used a performance car, or one that demands such high octaine, there would be no 'story'.

Instead Which? picked a popular car that sums up the typical demographic of its readership - age group, socioeconomic backgrounds etc - and ran with it.

What muppet puts high octane fuel in a 1.6 bog-standard Focus - and wastes their money at the same time - thinking they'll achieve the performace of an RS Focus?!

peter thomson
25-09-2008, 02:07 PM
I have a copy of it but it but is more about improving fuel consumption and power in a "normal" car rather than a performance car

g8legnum
25-09-2008, 03:50 PM
.... is more about improving fuel consumption and power in a "normal" car rather than a performance carAnd this can be achieved quite easily through driving practises, and not by using a higher octane fuel. As was said earlier Which? had an end game in producing this report and it was not to show that high octane fuel is a good thing.

bradc
25-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Well they are knobs if they only tested it on a focus then :)

NevGroom
25-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Well they are knobs if they only tested it on a focus then :)

YUP!

elnevio
25-09-2008, 11:22 PM
BP Ultimate Diesel
I bet the Focus really didn't like that much! :P

Now, does anyone else remember a Fifth Gear (or may have even been Driven) from a few years back, when they tested the superfuels in three different cars, one ordinary, one fairly warm, and one rather hot? The three cars were, I think, a 1.2 Clio, a Mini Cooper (not S) and an Impreza WRX.

They dyno'ed all three cars using the various fuels, and compared them to ordinary 95 unleaded.

The Clio showed no power difference, whereas the Mini showed around 5bhp more.

However, the Scooby belted out 40bhp more!

Anyway, that would seem to be a fair illustration of the point...

bradc
26-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Can anyone remember the series and episode number of that test? I was trying to find it last week but couldn't.

elnevio
26-09-2008, 06:53 AM
Can anyone remember the series and episode number of that test? I was trying to find it last week but couldn't.
You've seen it too then? Does your recollection match mine much?

I'm fairly sure it was Fifth Gear, and that the cars are probably right, and that it was Tiff Needell and Quentin Willson who did the item.

bradc
26-09-2008, 07:38 AM
I thought there was a golf in it, but there was definitely a WRX of some description. It was indeed fifth gear.

martin_y
26-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Sounds far too informative, accurate, and educational to have been top gear for sure !

Davezj
26-09-2008, 08:50 AM
that going back a few year when Needles and Wilson were on top gear.

didn't they move to fifth gear when it first started.

that's a long time ago.