PDA

View Full Version : Tiptronic: Putting it in 2nd gear for a normal take off

dimi108
25-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Evening fellas,
For those of you with tiptronic boxes, do any of you put it in 2nd gear for take off? I do. I preffer taking off gradually in 2nd gear, than having it start in 1st and then having to change up.
My question is, do you guys do it? And most importantly, is it fine to do this? I mean, after all, the car allows you to do so, so it must be alright...

Physician
25-09-2008, 03:44 PM
yep, I do ..... Just remember not to try a traffic light race or you lose LOL

elnevio
25-09-2008, 04:04 PM
yep, I do ..... Just remember not to try a traffic light race or you lose LOL
And will eat torque convertors!

Beastlee
25-09-2008, 06:37 PM
The less load you can put on the torque converter the better. 2nd in tip mode is designed for winter weather to keep the wheelspin down.

Ryan
25-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Just echoing the others here, less load on T/C is always a good thing. I never use 2nd to pull off.

bradc
25-09-2008, 08:40 PM
what they all said ^^^

Nevman
25-09-2008, 08:44 PM
I can second that ^^^

Beastlee
25-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Incidentally if your box goes into limp home mode and you put it in tip you can then drop down to 2nd to pull away, again less stress on the TC. The only issue was the harch change back to 3rd afterwards.

dimi108
26-09-2008, 01:54 AM
Thanks boys.
Appreciate the replies. So a slow take off from 2nd is not recommended eh? If it'll help save the torque converter then I'll try keep it in D most of the time from now on when taking off. And use tiptronic to downshift if i want to play.

I just hate the take off in 1st and then the transition into second in tiptronic mode. Feels weird :D

elnevio
26-09-2008, 06:06 AM
Thanks boys.
Appreciate the replies. So a slow take off from 2nd is not recommended eh? If it'll help save the torque converter then I'll try keep it in D most of the time from now on when taking off. And use tiptronic to downshift if i want to play.

I just hate the take off in 1st and then the transition into second in tiptronic mode. Feels weird :D
This isn't something I have an issue with. Although we could just have different standards! :d

Just wondering though, if it is a bit weird as you say, could it be a sign that the atf needs changing?

thfelipeth
26-09-2008, 06:10 AM
[quote=dimi108]Thanks boys.

you guys will probably not like this. but since i bought the car all i ever use is the tiptronic never D lol. unless the misses drives the car. and thats over a year. and 2nd gear start seems to be fine the gearbox is awesome... dunno if all the guys with auto think so.. but i have done 0-100 against a manual vr4 and the auto seems to be slighty faster to 100.... my experience... don't know about everyone elses.. and has never given me trouble either. awesome cars!23804

dimi108
26-09-2008, 06:18 AM
Just wondering though, if it is a bit weird as you say, could it be a sign that the atf needs changing?
Could be. I'll be changing and flushing the ATF tonight (using the guide on here) i've got my 10 litres of ATF, new filter, jubilee clips, spare fuel hosing and going to get one of them oil filter removers (that clamp on top) today after work. So i'll see how that all goes tonight :D

elnevio
26-09-2008, 06:45 AM
Could be. I'll be changing and flushing the ATF tonight (using the guide on here) i've got my 10 litres of ATF, new filter, jubilee clips, spare fuel hosing and going to get one of them oil filter removers (that clamp on top) today after work. So i'll see how that all goes tonight :D
You might struggle with 10 litres. A full flush and change is more likely to use about 12-13 litres (mine did!). So I'd advise getting another 5L tub. Tis better to have too much than not enough! Anyway, you can use the atf in the AYC, and it doesn't go off. :scholar:

elnevio
26-09-2008, 06:51 AM
you guys will probably not like this. but since i bought the car all i ever use is the tiptronic never D lol. unless the misses drives the car. and thats over a year. and 2nd gear start seems to be fine the gearbox is awesome... dunno if all the guys with auto think so.. but i have done 0-100 against a manual vr4 and the auto seems to be slighty faster to 100.... my experience... don't know about everyone elses.. and has never given me trouble either. awesome cars!23804
I almost always use tiptronic mode myself too :thumbsup:. But never 2nd gear starts - no need and as already mentioned by plenty of very knowledgeable VR-4 owners/modders (I don't include myself there!), this will chew through torque convertors.

And you might want to ditch the cone filter, as all the air it's getting is very hot air from the engine bay, as well as disturbing the air flow past the MAF - both of which the 6A13TT engine doesn't like and saps power! But I bet it sounds nice though!!

bradc
26-09-2008, 06:52 AM
Dimi, please report back with your results agter the change :)

Also please tell us you're using Amsoil :)

dimi108
26-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Certainly will!
:( no Amsoil this time, i didn't have time to order any in. But next time for sure.

bradc
26-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Still the right fluid though.

thfelipeth
01-10-2008, 10:25 AM
I almost always use tiptronic mode myself too :thumbsup:. But never 2nd gear starts - no need and as already mentioned by plenty of very knowledgeable VR-4 owners/modders (I don't include myself there!), this will chew through torque convertors.

And you might want to ditch the cone filter, as all the air it's getting is very hot air from the engine bay, as well as disturbing the air flow past the MAF - both of which the 6A13TT engine doesn't like and saps power! But I bet it sounds nice though!! so far the filter has been real good aye. it's alot nicer in the motorway as it just sucks cold air! i got the heat shield for it, but i'm soon changing it to an ARC induction kit.. so ye its pretty good for now!