PDA

View Full Version : How to soundproof VR4 to have less tyre roar ?

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 12:49 PM
Hi..since I have uggraded my tyres from the standard VR4's 205/55/16 to 225/40/18, I find that the tyre noise increased...and having having spent a small fortune on sound proofing..the tyre roar is still there..are there any other products on there that can insulate the cabin better ?
I have heard of some sound insulation sprays that can quieten the tyre roar a fair bit..is this true ?
Do u think using Bridgestone GIII or Micheli Pilot sports is a quieter and better option ?

Spirit
19-03-2004, 07:02 PM
When I bought mine it had Pirelli P5000 tyres on and the road noise was quite bad - since then I have changed the alloys to Oz Super Leggera's (very light) and Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres - a big improvement on road noise.

Therefore, my advice - live with it until you need new tyres then change them for Goodyears ;)

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 08:39 PM
When I bought mine it had Pirelli P5000 tyres on and the road noise was quite bad - since then I have changed the alloys to Oz Super Leggera's (very light) and Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres - a big improvement on road noise.

Therefore, my advice - live with it until you need new tyres then change them for Goodyears ;)

Yeah I agree with you Pirelli tyres are quite noisy...had the same problem with my G7 Galant..only with 195/60/15 P600 rubbers and factory rims and the tyre roar simply drove me nuts !!! :noshake:
Now with a new set of Bridgestone GIII tyres on my G8 VR4...the roar seems to improve... and I also plan to go for Tuff Kote's sound clad treatment.....whereby Tuff Kote sprays those liquid sound insulation liquid to the under belly of your car that will cut down tyre roar when completely dried !
Gee..I sure hope MMC can supply some sound insulation materials like those used on Lexus vehicles, or those of BMW or Mercedes !
I once test driven a brand new BMW 745IL and with those 255/40/19 inch tyres and rims.. even with those mega combo rims and tyres it's so super silent !!!
Man..it's even quieter than the stock VR4's 205/55/16 rims and tyre combo !!!
I think one aspect MMC got to improve is on the sound insulation department which I heard Daimler Chrysler is imparting those sound insulation solutions to them...

banjo
19-03-2004, 09:38 PM
Yes, I agree, there's quite a bit of tyre roar. It varies depending on the road surface though - rougher surface, more noise. I'm running on Eagle F1's. I don't think you'll reduce road noise by very much through insulation as it's transmitted through the chassis and of course 4-wheel drive systems tend to be more road noisy anyway, mind you my son's EvoVII is definitely less road noisy than my VR4. Turn the stereo up!!

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 09:55 PM
Yes, I agree, there's quite a bit of tyre roar. It varies depending on the road surface though - rougher surface, more noise. I'm running on Eagle F1's. I don't think you'll reduce road noise by very much through insulation as it's transmitted through the chassis and of course 4-wheel drive systems tend to be more road noisy anyway, mind you my son's EvoVII is definitely less road noisy than my VR4. Turn the stereo up!!

Yes you're right...different road surface plays a part on the sound coming through the cabin of the VR4 !
But I think it's not just the 4 wheel drive system that's making the noise..but road roar from the tyres coming through the wheel wells !
Reason why I said that is if u drive a Lexus RX300 SUV also with 4 wheel drive, you simply cannot hear any road / tyre roars due to Lexus superior NVH / sound insulation techniques...I mean the Lexus RX300 also wears 18 inch rims !
Yes I think with each new model...MMC is improving on the NVH....but I sure hope to cure those tyre roar once and for all !
Currently with my extra sound insulation on the car especially on the doors...I simply can't hear any cars driving past me whether I'm moving or stationary !
But now I think I need to dwell more on the wheel wells as I think is the source of tyre / road roars !

-LegnumVR4-
19-03-2004, 11:15 PM
I'm just about to sound proof the doors on my VR4. Will apply sound proof mats to the inside and the inner side of the doors to stop the doors from vibrating. I will then place a sound deading mat to the inside of the interior trim.

Most of the road noise travels through the doors.

Heres handy links about sound proofing your car:

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=58457

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=35733

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 11:20 PM
I'm just about to sound proof the doors on my VR4. Will apply sound proof mats to the inside and the inner side of the doors to stop the doors from vibrating. I will then place a sound deading mat to the inside of the interior trim.

Most of the road noise travels through the doors.

Heres handy links about sound proofing your car:

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=58457

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=35733

Thanks for the links...but strange thing is....if myself and passengers in my car can't hear passing cars next to mine when in motion...then how can there be sounds coming through my doors ?
I still think the biggest culprit is the floor which I've also insulated like double or triple layers of Scosche insulation sheets as per my doors !
In fact I now think perhaps the insulation of the doors is so good that the obvious sounds coming through more is the floor due to the fact that the doors are "over insulated" !!!

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 11:37 PM
Fact is... now I remember that my previous G7 Galant is quieter than the G8 VR4 I have now !
Correct me if I'm wrong...but the G7 V6 Galant seems to be quieter...maybe the wheel wells are better insulated there ?
Or perhaps it's due to the smaller 195/60/15 tyre and rim sizes the G7 came with ?
But seriously..I think G7 V6 Galant is better insulated than G8 versions.
But I feel G7 V6 is better insulated than G7 with 1834cc 4 cylinder engine, even though both share the same body.
Seems like the MMC's bean counter really treasures their sound proofing materials, as I've sat in both G7 with 2000cc V6 engine and G7 1834 cc 4 cylinder engine...and both wearing same size, same rims and same tyres 195/60/15... and I can say the V6 G7 model is much quieter...not just engine wise..but tyre roar is much more subdued than the G7 1834cc 4 cylinder version !

vr4ever
19-03-2004, 11:41 PM
Ok seems like I'm quite right abt the NVH issue...my fren who bought a 2002 Galant G8 2.0 GDI, and his car is definitely quieter than my year 2000 VR4 !
MMC seems to be improving their NVH by every model year and my friend agrees with me that his car's NVH is better for the fact that he is also using bigger rims and tyres like mine...but his car's tyre roar is almost non existent as compared to mine !

-LegnumVR4-
20-03-2004, 07:24 AM
One way to test is to get a passager to open his door to see the difference in noise. Coil over shocks will transfer more noise into the cabin, mine does as it doesn't have a bush but a ballbearing in top part. :)

vr4ever
20-03-2004, 08:26 AM
One way to test is to get a passager to open his door to see the difference in noise. Coil over shocks will transfer more noise into the cabin, mine does as it doesn't have a bush but a ballbearing in top part. :)

Yeah...even my passengers also say they can't hear noises of vehicles just next to mine when they drive pass !
Oh my..u mean coil overs shocks will be louder ?
I was planning to have coil overs after my Ralliart shocks are worn out...so maybe I'll look into this issue thoroughly before commiting in future...

Spirit
20-03-2004, 10:34 AM
How about fitting a louder exhaust to drown out the road noise in the cabin :D :-D :-D

i3ooyah
20-03-2004, 11:20 AM
or turn ur sounds up :)

vr4ever
20-03-2004, 11:34 AM
or turn ur sounds up :)

I know....I've been doing that all along...but I think it's better fixing it at the root of the problem if possible..so that it's quiet without the tyre roar in future !

vr4ever
20-03-2004, 11:38 AM
How about fitting a louder exhaust to drown out the road noise in the cabin :D :-D :-D

I think the original exhaust sounds great...and I was told not to mess with the exhaust if possible...as some of my frens said they experienced some power loss instead of power gains !
What u suggested reminds me of what some Ferrari owners do...they fitted Tubi exhaust systems to have that F1 sound effect...and nothing beats those F1 wannabe sound even with a bespoke sound system...and not to mention tyre roar !!!

enigma
20-03-2004, 12:24 PM
I think the original exhaust sounds great...and I was told not to mess with the exhaust if possible...as some of my frens said they experienced some power loss instead of power gains !
What u suggested reminds me of what some Ferrari owners do...they fitted Tubi exhaust systems to have that F1 sound effect...and nothing beats those F1 wannabe sound even with a bespoke sound system...and not to mention tyre roar !!!

My exhaust has gained me power........and it sounds f'in awesome! :D

vr4ever
20-03-2004, 01:26 PM
My exhaust has gained me power........and it sounds f'in awesome! :D

Yeah I know with the right exhaust...the sound is simply fabulous...but to me the original exhaust sounds good enough !
In Singapore..if we modify the exhaust syste including the rear box with an after market brand not approved by the LTA...we'll end up being fined approx 250 euros !!! :dozey: