PDA

View Full Version : While the gearbox is out....

aaron68nz
02-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Looks as if some impact damage has cracked the auto gearbox casing and the box will I guess need a new casing (can this be done?) or a replacement box. I've claimed the incident on insurance but what servicing should I do while the gearbox is out?.

I guess ideally I'd prefer just the casing to be replaced as the internals should be in good condition. The commonly troublesome torque converter seal for example would be replaced anyway I guess but should some reconditioning of gearbox internal parts be done for preventative measures?

Ryan
02-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Might be better off using the insurance money to do a manual conversion (depending on how much you receive)? If you want a manual that is...

dickytim
03-10-2008, 12:19 AM
to be honest you will likely receive a second hand gearbox if the insurance company has the work done for you, it costs too much to have the gearboxes rebuilt compared to finding one from a wrecker.

Subaru ETA
03-10-2008, 10:46 AM
agree with dickytim.

while its out to the torque converter seal and the rear main seal

aaron68nz
06-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks for your advice.
I was hoping they could just replace the casing as with a second hand box it's a lucky (or unlucky) dip. I'll ask the repair people if this is possible even if it means paying a bit more on top of the insurance excess.