PDA

View Full Version : the clutch

Scanny
02-10-2008, 09:45 PM
i know little about mechanical workings so laymans terms please. And my star key doesnt work so i cant use separate lines. 1. What is the clutch doing between gear changes? 2. What do i want to upgrade to? I have eaten a cheap aftermarket clutch in 3 years, i want to avoid this happening again

Nick Mann
03-10-2008, 12:41 PM
It's like a big brake pad on a disc!

Press the clutch, the pad is released, off the clutch the pad is pressed on to the disc.

If you rev hard, then let off the clutch you will get slippage. If you only part release the clutch you will get slippage. Both of these cause heat and faster wear. By slippage I mean that the friction material and the metal disc are sliding on each other rather than gripping on each other.

When you get a new clutch this time, try an uprated one and buy a new flywheel too. This will give you extra pressure (hopefully less slippage) possibly a better friction material (less wear) and new flat surfaces for your new clutch (less wear during bedding in).

The parts are:

Friction plate (brake pad disc thingy)
Pressure plate (springy bit)
Flywheel (metal disc that the friction plate works against)
Release Bearing (pushes the springy bit, fits on the pivoting arm that moves when you press the pedal)

Hope that helps! If you want me to be more patronising, just ask! :P

Gly
03-10-2008, 10:48 PM
What do i want to upgrade to? I have eaten a cheap aftermarket clutch in 3 years, i want to avoid this happening again

this ones a no brainer, dont by cheap ****, you get what you pay for. /pan

Scanny
04-10-2008, 12:07 AM
spot on nick, cheers. This time i have the luxury of time. I want to upgrade the clutch whereas last time i needed a clutch to drive the car. Local garage, local purchase. This car will be treated to standard fit items or better from the start even if that means buying the parts before i need them and replacing when needed rather than waiting for them to go then finding anything that fits. Brakes will be the same. Im gonna buy them before i need them rather than buying local during the MOT like i did this year