PDA

View Full Version : Caught on speed camera !!

landy
23-05-2003, 10:38 PM
i've just recieved a letter this morning from the police "safety" camera unit stating i was recorded travelling at 90 mph on saturday morning... SH*T !!:mad2:

... i was on my way the the japfest, do you think that is a good enough excuss ? :thumb:

i'm sure i read somewhere recently about a loophole in the law regarding these letters, if you "forget" to sign it or something they won't follow up.

i think i read it in banzai or jap performance magazine. has anyone else heard of this loophole ?.. HELP I DON'T WANT POINTS :angel1:

Brind
23-05-2003, 11:05 PM
Sorry mate, you're buggered!

The so called loop holes have been closed for ages, they will send you the fine either way and also fine you for not replying.

Unlucky mate!!

Trust me, don't play with them.:INSERT INTO post VALUES (

landy
23-05-2003, 11:18 PM
it's not the fine i'm too bothered about INSERT INTO post VALUES (within reason); it's the points i'll get on my license.

oh well it's my own fault.

better buy a road angel !! :devil1:

Petrolhead
23-05-2003, 11:40 PM
You could always get whoever was driving your car at the time to take the rap ;)

landy
24-05-2003, 12:16 AM
lol
i already thought about that. he hasn't past his test yet, i'd just get into more trouble:thumb:

Petrolhead
24-05-2003, 12:24 AM
But I thought you had leant the car to some poor student for the weekend, sorry, my mistake.

Poor guy probably wouldn't be able to afford a car till he leaves Uni in 5 years, and he'd have a clean licence again by then, but as I said, my mistake, lol.

Pescha
24-05-2003, 06:38 AM
All I can say is OOPS!!!

Mind you I have a feeling here in New Zealand that the police tend to pick on the VR4's.

Coming out of a small town twice INSERT INTO post VALUES (same town) on two different occassions both times the cop saw the VR4 INSERT INTO post VALUES (we had our radar detector on, not picking him up) and as soon as he saw us, he flick his speed detector on! Then the radar went nuts! So go fiqure uh? But neither times were we speeding haha!

So sorry you got snapped hun, better luck next time!

Cheers,
Pescha!

BraindG
27-05-2003, 08:33 AM
bugger... luckily INSERT INTO post VALUES (touches wood) ive not been caught yet

sorry to hear that mate

GREX
27-05-2003, 05:12 PM
Does anyone know if the Road Angel is any good. I've been caught twice in the last 6 months and my insurance costs are rising!
I don't think points win prizes in this instance - how to avoid?

Brind
27-05-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by GREX

I don't think points win prizes in this instance - how to avoid?
Don't speed.. ;) :D

I don't have a speeding device so I can't comment, just be aware of cameras and pay attention to possible plod in the usual undercover cars.

BraindG
28-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Barry's tip of the day..

When travelling along motor ways, I spend allot of time checking suspect cars when over taking, and keeping an eye on the cars behind me, and a couple cars behind.. if they are still there for a few miles, I usual slow a bit, allow them to catch up. If they don't catch up, i.e. fall behind to stay same distance from you.. then start to wonder..

also.. ive got it on good authority they wont pull you for just breaking the speed limit.. they take all sorts of things into consideration..
speeding
undertaking
tailgating
flashing your lights
waving your fist
swerving..
how busy the road is..
moonies
sticking your tongue out :D

general bad road manors.

drive safely, take quick squirts here and there and you should be fine..INSERT INTO post VALUES (no driving for miles and miles over 100)
i tend to speed up when overtaking, get up to 100 and pull back into centre lane, slow to 85.

Barry

BraindG
28-05-2003, 09:11 AM
Oh, and slow down for sliproads coming onto motorway.. our cars get back up to speed that fast, i wouldnt chance going past them at high speed...

2 reasons,
police sit there
and everyone becomes a moron, all move over, cant judge whats going on... seen more possible accidents at them than anywhere else

GREX
28-05-2003, 12:28 PM
I think I've just been unlucky. Both times I've been caught by a mobile unit hiding on a bridge. I was doing less than 90, the second time was on the way to the rally championships in Wales. They must have had a camera on every bridge - nice way to make the government even more money.
I now drive like a granny, but it kind of takes the fun out of driving these days, especially when I get overtaken by a 3 wheeler towing a trailer!

ukznmcl
29-05-2003, 09:18 AM
I know this is going to sound really stupid but I never speed when the roads are clear. I always put my foot down when the motorways and roads are busy.

This is because you can tell when there are cops about because everyone slows down to 70 in the outside lane

:D

This way I have kept a clean licence for 5 years while driving about like a lunatic most of the time. i.e I regulary do 120-130 on the motorway.

I know its not big and its not clever but I just love speed!

Nick VR4
29-05-2003, 09:55 AM
I have a snooper its ok tends to false alarm with cctv
And if anyone else has one near you in the next car it goes mental

haydar
29-05-2003, 12:31 PM
Not getting caught speeding has a lot to do with luck as it has with good driving. Sure you can seriously reduce the chances of getting caught by being careful near bridges and laybys. Paying attention to other cars, especially those that seem to be catching you at over 100mph.

However, sometimes it's just that moment when you lapse concentration for a second that you can get caught. Like many of you I seriously speed on the motorway. I had a BMW M3 in which I'd often see 150mph. In the VR4 I often see 130mph INSERT INTO post VALUES (getting older and wiser you see). But I've also seen 175mph on my Yamaha YZF1000. I've even been let off by a police officer doing 70mph on my motorbike in a 40mph stretch of dual carridgeway INSERT INTO post VALUES (totally inappropriate speed limit but that's another story)

I got caught speeding a few years ago in my wife's Diahatsu Charade, which can hardly do 80mph for guess what - 80mph on a clear straight and empty motorway. :confused:
I even saw the police car at the side of the motorway but really didn't think I was speeding INSERT INTO post VALUES (or could speed in the wife's car). By nontheless, they pulled my up and gave me a speeding ticket.

So the moral of the story is:-

It's good to take precautions, but don't sweat it when **** happens.

Ultra VR-4
30-05-2003, 03:48 AM
Well heres a way to avoid a speeding ticket:

If you are travelling over the speed limit, and suddenly see red and blue lights flashing in the rear vision mirrors...

Speed up a little then pull over to the side. Then before the mr popo exits his vehicle to hand you over a speeding ticket, jump into either the passenger seat INSERT INTO post VALUES (if not occupied) or the back seat. So when mr popo comes up to the drivers window, just pretend that you dont know who was driving.

:wiggle:

Pescha
30-05-2003, 05:05 AM
It would of had to be a 'kiwi' to come up with that!:nono:

lol

Cheers,
Pescha!

chris g
30-05-2003, 07:42 PM
SPEED CAMERAS - GATSOS

The loopholes have NOT been closed and prosecution cases are failing regularly

If you rec a NIP - Notice of Intended Prosecution - having had car caught on camera speeding - then do at least THREE things!

Complete form - I suggest block capitals - or have form completed by someone else.

DO NOT SIGN the form but send the form with info back as
reqd

Get legal advice by phoning ABD advice line - check out Association of British Drivers website for this - call costs but nothing else

If you want other info check further on website and I can alsosend copies of e-mail I recd about not signing NIP

Gatsos and other cameras are not just at black spots to reduce accidents or catch lunatics driving thru red lights AND statistics do NOT support their use as Police try to say

Brind
30-05-2003, 09:09 PM
I've heard of a couple of incidents recently about people trying these tricks such as not signing or completing forms etc and actually getting done for doing so, I can't describe any details but I'm 100% sure it has happend.
Think about it? would they really let you get away with it for very long if at all? they are well ahead of us and if we get any closer they just change the rules.

Try your luck if you like..

The only way people ARE getting away with it full stop, are those who have not registered their car in this country, which means they can fly through cameras and through this toll thing you have in the middle of London.

Spirit
02-06-2003, 12:25 AM
Landy

Sorry to hear about your bad news mate !

Pete

theta1602
03-06-2003, 05:51 AM
kinda makes me glad i'm from the states...only on rare occasion do the cops use cameras. It's only when blowing toll booths you gotta worry about that.
Just out of curiosity, is there a general make of car that police in the UK use? Out here, Ford Crown Vics, Chevy Impala's and the occasional Dodge Intrepids are the weapons of choice...the Crown Vic is unmistakeable as a cop car. The last of the big V-8 boats. The sneaky ones use Mustangs and Camaro SS's. They get tricky!

Spirit
03-06-2003, 07:57 AM
Many marked police cars here are standard Ford's and Vauxhall's in my area, but on the motorways they use a lot on unmarked cars and these can be anything really.

callum
19-06-2003, 10:10 PM
New Zealand has lots of speed cameras, either in fixed position or in the back of stationwagons or vans that are parked at the side of the road.

Unlike the UK system if you get busted for speeding by a camera you get a fine but no demerit points. You only get points if you are pulled over for speeding by a police car.

lisa
22-06-2003, 12:26 AM
We have a Whistler but unfortunatly it does not work to well with camaras, as it only picks up the signals once you are past them. Due to this unfortunate design error, I now have two rather snazzy black and white picks on police headed paper of our old FTO.

Oh well we live and learn, I am on my way to collecting a new washing machine.......
Because what do points make PRIZES !

If you dont laugh about it, you only end up sobbing !

*sigh*
Lisa