PDA

View Full Version : Change AYC ECU

scocia
09-10-2008, 05:11 AM
Ok, this may be reaching a little but; has anyone here looked into swapping out the standard AYC ECU with the uprated ralliart one available here (http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/Ralliart-Active-Center-Differential-ECU-CT9A-Lancer-Evolution-VII-54402)?

The ECU is intended for use on an EVO VII, I really don't know enough about this subject to even guess at what problems may occur. :inquisiti I searched around for it but the subject hasn't seem to of come up yet.

Thoughts, opinions?

Ken

bradc
09-10-2008, 05:19 AM
It is an ACD ecu not an AYC ecu

scocia
09-10-2008, 05:27 AM
Oh man, talk about a bad skim read.
Just got too excited. Errr disregard then /duh.

But still, what are the chances of being able to effectively alter the way the AYC ECU interprets the data, to obtain a certain style or type of desired reaction from the diff?

Any differences between VR4 and evo units? I know the diffs themselves can be swapped with minor alterations but how about the supporting electronics that control the reaction of the diff?

I don't plan on doing this, ever, I'm just a little curious.

bradc
09-10-2008, 05:58 AM
S-AYC diff's simply transfer twice as much torque, it's probably easier to install one of those in

scocia
09-10-2008, 06:35 AM
Cheers Brad.
Ah well, was just curious.

I just can't help but think what would be available if the 8G VR4s had of been picked up by some big tuning houses. Sigh.

Eurospec
09-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Yeah, the evo 7 has super ayc, meaning the actual mechanics of the rear diff are different. They also have ACD, which will mean the ecu is different, in that it will have the hardware to support the later acd xfr box.

Sorry dude.

Cheers,

Ben.

bradc
09-10-2008, 10:35 AM
nope, evo 8 was the first with sayc

scocia
09-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Hmmm so you are saying that IOT get the most out of a swap to a S-AYC the ECU would have to be replaced as well?

Otherwise the stock ecu will just treat it like a regular AYC diff?

And wiki agrees. EVO 8 had the first S-AYC

Eurospec
09-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Yeah your probably right Brad. What i should have said was according to my 7 FQ300 manual, it says it has it. Mitsu always said sayc came on the 8, but my 7 is (was) a very late car for a 7. I havent taken the diff apart, but since the f ing thing is all smashed to bits i suppose i could go look!

The difference is in the mechanism for the speed reducing/increasing gears. SAYC can actualy transfer more torque in one direction than the other too iirc- which i thought is a bit wierd.

Either way all 7's have ACD which is run out of the same ecu i think.

Cheers,

Ben.

Turbo_Steve
09-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Now silly me, but I thought the 7 had SAYC but not ACD, and the 8 had the ACD?

bradc
09-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Steve, all 7/8/9's had ACD, even Rally cars. Most 7's had AYC, and most 8/9's had SAYC (as well as the 6 speed box). Rally cars normally have LSD's although over here in the last few years some of the Rally and Tarmac race cars have kept the AYC and the drivers LOVE it.

Eurospec
10-10-2008, 10:19 AM
RS models will have a rear LSD, and no AYC, but wierdly i think the 7+ RS's also had ACD! Go figure?!

Cheers,

Ben.

bradc
10-10-2008, 10:44 AM
thats what I said ^^^^^