PDA

View Full Version : Power bulge

Robotnik123
16-10-2008, 01:43 PM
What do you chaps think about this bonnet power bulge? It is for a Ford Falcon, but note pic 3 where it is on an 8G Galant. I really like these on the real XR8 Falcon.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Body-kits-mouldings/auction-182872243.htm

Turbo_Steve
16-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Sweet! I think it would look best if it was the width of the existing "bulge" in the bonnet, rather than a double bulge.
Especially if the back is properly vented to suck heat out from under the bonnet.

Robotnik123
16-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Sweet! I think it would look best if it was the width of the existing "bulge" in the bonnet, rather than a double bulge.
Especially if the back is properly vented to suck heat out from under the bonnet.

Am guessing you might be joking. Nonetheless I quite like it.

Here is what the bulge looks like on a real Ford. No vents at the back.

http://www.supercars.net/Pics?viewPic=y&source=car&id=4061&p=2008_Ford_FalconXR83.jpg&y=2008&m=Ford&o=Falcon%20XR8

http://www.supercars.net/Pics?viewPic=y&source=car&id=4061&p=2008_Ford_FalconXR82.jpg&y=2008&m=Ford&o=Falcon%20XR8

bradc
16-10-2008, 08:01 PM
I think that looks quite cool too

Turbo_Steve
16-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Sorry: I was deadly serious: I don't mind it, but think it would look loads better if you simply raised the middle bump that's already in the bonnet a little higher...only 10-15mm or so, and then it would drag all the hot air out from under the bonnet as well as look really MEAN. I hate the power bulge on the V8 M3s: it looks stuck on. I think that little one would probably look a bit stuck on too: like a wedding cake with all those tiers.

It would look cool, but not subtle. A bigger main bonnet bulge would still be subtle, but somehow more......'muscular'.

Turbo_Steve
16-10-2008, 09:36 PM
In fact.....crap 30sec Paintbrush session:
uploaded/2434/1224189342.jpg

Note how it goes all the way back to the windscreen, where it would have a meshy bit. As the scuttle tends to be a low pressure area, it will draw air out from under the bonnet.

Robotnik123
16-10-2008, 10:06 PM
In fact.....crap 30sec Paintbrush session:
uploaded/2434/1224189342.jpg

Note how it goes all the way back to the windscreen, where it would have a meshy bit. As the scuttle tends to be a low pressure area, it will draw air out from under the bonnet.

That looks cool. You can put some sort of decal on the angled edge where the bulge rises up from the flat portion of the bonnet. Falcons often have an arrowhead decal with the words BOSS 290 to indicate engine type and power in kilowatts. I guess for a Legnum it would say 6A13TT 206.

bradc
16-10-2008, 10:49 PM
yeah lets not do that on a VR-4, because it looks ghey!!!!

djb160
16-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Yeah a bit toooo american old school muscle for my tastes

rees
17-10-2008, 10:50 AM
yeah but i do like the bulge tho <--- now THAT sounds gay!

stuey
17-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Would taking it back to windscreen actually suck air out ? On the early 70's muscle cars they did this with a raised bulge up the winscreen with a gap to draw air in as it's cooler and desnser, called cowl induction. Still regarded as being very effective.

Why not modify the airbox to draw air in from here instead of by the battery.. ?

stuey
17-10-2008, 11:11 AM
like this..
http://www.hotrodscustomstuff.com/Cars/Bowen69camaro/69camaro-07.jpg

bradc
17-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Stuey is right, the base of the windscreen is a high pressure area and typically you would suck air in from a vent there.

Subaru ETA
17-10-2008, 12:00 PM
lol the only reasonthhe falcon has the "power bulge" is because that big old pick up engine wont fit under the bonnet if it didnt have it!

as for it on a vr4, id have to see a side on view to see the profile.

on a side note - dont you that the falcon looks...i dunno...disjointed or something in that side on pic? just with all the lines and such....and dont you think it just looks like the new mondeo?!?

Turbo_Steve
17-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Okay, colour me wrong...the scuttle is high pressure. Sorry everyone.

In that case, put some lovres in the top at the back....do I have to think of everything? :D

VR4WGN
18-10-2008, 08:58 AM
if you want a bulge just buy a facelift bonnet they have a bigger bulge in them,lol,no need for that ozone layer replica,lol....

djb160
18-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Yeah I like the FL bonnet best. Without a vent if possible (it kills stealth) but I still would want the air circulation. Conundrum.

Robotnik123
18-10-2008, 09:24 PM
lol the only reasonthhe falcon has the "power bulge" is because that big old pick up engine wont fit under the bonnet if it didnt have it!

as for it on a vr4, id have to see a side on view to see the profile.

on a side note - dont you that the falcon looks...i dunno...disjointed or something in that side on pic? just with all the lines and such....and dont you think it just looks like the new mondeo?!?

The mondeo has a strong resemblance to the falcon. The blue falcon in my earlier link even has the same style alloy wheels as what the mondeos have in the UK. I guess Ford Europe saw the FG Falcon designs and thought, "let's make our rep mobile, resemble the ultimate Aussie V8 muscle car, to give it some cred!" :2thumbsup

bradc
18-10-2008, 09:36 PM
other way around, the mondeo came out before the falcon.

Robotnik123
18-10-2008, 10:19 PM
other way around, the mondeo came out before the falcon.

Who can say who was first with the preliminary design for either car? Being the first to market does not always mean an earlier design.

Subaru ETA
19-10-2008, 12:37 AM
its all to do with car manufactures going through design phases - so every car is designed on the same design theory. hence why all the new mazdas that are coming out have design cues from each other.

and the new falcon doesnt do it for me aye. id have an AU3 TS50 over a new one. that said i have driven the new typhoon and that is bloody quick. had it to speeds which i cannot post on a public forum and it still had more :p . however, i wouldnt buy one. an aussie car is all about a great big v8 and lots of noise. if i wanted a quick turbo car, id buy an audi or similar

Fully
23-10-2008, 09:52 PM
You carnt go to the windowscreen to get that effect, of taking the hot air out.
It will push cold air in, That is how we get cold induction, to the carburator air filter on our race cars.

It is a tricky one, because you start to interfer with the car areodynamics. Then it gets to the point of a higher top speed, or better cornering. You will be surprised how easy it to take a few kph off a race car, then you start to lose that competative edge.

I had thought about putting a cowling over the whole motor and down the back, to force the hot air out underneath the car.