PDA

View Full Version : Tippy Box Vibration when changing gear

JoGoVR4
18-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Not sure if anyone can help on this one.

When accelerating hard through 2/3/4th gears i get a massive vibration form the drive train. Low frequency - feels like the fluid clutch is struggling.
Like everyone else i have a real struggle checking the ATF level. Can't see where it is on the stick! The whole plastic bit on the bottom gets smeared so its almost impossible to know where you are.
I do have a small leak so i know that is an issue but i try to keep the fluid at the right level.

The fluid clutch was replaced before i had the car so about 15K miles ago so that shouldn't be the problem...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nick Mann
18-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Obviously level. What fluid are you using? A not quite compatible grade can cause clutch pack issues - cheap dexron III will cause the degredation to occurr more quickly. Are you also getting shudder on light throttle slow speed but high gear driving? Long gentle uphill slopes in a 30/40 limit, for example.

robsullivan76
18-10-2008, 06:48 PM
HI NICK, IM getting shudder on light throttle slow speed but high gear driving Long gentle uphill slopes in a 30/40 limit, SO I had a gear box oil change but im still geting it!! do you think its the clutch fluid??

Davezj
18-10-2008, 07:32 PM
oh how familiar that sound.

(replacement Gear box in the shed).

Davezj
18-10-2008, 07:37 PM
It is the same stuff if you have a auto box.

Automatic Transmition Fluid (ATF) no separate clutch fluid as the clucthes are built in to the gear box called band, which stop various gear part of the box from turning which selects the gears.

If you have a manual gear box

YOUR IN THE WRONG GEAR!!! (he shouts for comedy effect).

sorry could resist that!

I will let Nick Mann fill you in on what needs to be done.

robsullivan76
18-10-2008, 07:46 PM
IT ONLY SEEMS TO DO IT WHEN THE GEAR BOX IS HOT, (AFTER 30MINS OF DRIVING)SO ARE YOU SAYING, YOU DONT HAVE TO CHANGE ANY clutch fluid?? SORRY FOR BEING DUM, BUT IV ONLY HAD THE CAR FOR A WEEK!!!

miller
18-10-2008, 07:56 PM
A leak you say, are you sure it hasnt been overfilled?

For whats its worth a fresh batch of Amsoil in my auto box stopped the shudder i had under load. Not sure if it will do the same on the manual.

But its worth a try before anything bigger and costlier?

Mike

Davezj
18-10-2008, 08:11 PM
i didn't mean to offend anyone.

my point was when you ask question you have to make it obvious what your start point is.

A little back ground like do you have a manual or auto for starters. pre facelift or facelift model, and any other info you might have to narrow down the response.

we can all make assumptions, but sadly sometimes it is the
old adage ASS U ME, which i like to avoid.

robsullivan76
18-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Yes Good Point Davezj. It A 1996 Legnum Auto Vr4-s I Dont No If Its A Facelift Or Not (still Learing). Iv Just Reset The Ecu, And Hoping That It Helps.

Nick Mann
18-10-2008, 09:58 PM
What they said above. Check your fluid levels, but also make sure it has the right fluid in it. Unfortunately, the right fluid is not cheap.

Subaru ETA
19-10-2008, 12:28 AM
agreed with all above but it could also be the transfer case packing a sad. when was the last time that oil was changed?

robsullivan76
19-10-2008, 06:29 PM
ATF was changed two days ago, i used dexron 3 from camskill. but im thinking that was not the best plan, so im going to get some Amsoil ATF a.s.a.p

JoGoVR4
20-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Hi Thanks for your reply.

I only use the genuine liquid gold from Mitsubishi... never used anything else.

It seems to be ok on light throtlle low speed motoring.

It is when i am accelerating up through the gears on pretty much full throttle and when it changes down on kickdown and then accelerates in the lower gear...

Does it on tip tronic too.

Having read some of the threads on here - i notice that i shouldn't have be using tippy to change down as i always do on a manual.... could that have caused damage do you think?

Davezj
20-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi Thanks for your reply.

I only use the genuine liquid gold from Mitsubishi... never used anything else.

It seems to be ok on light throtlle low speed motoring.

It is when i am accelerating up through the gears on pretty much full throttle and when it changes down on kickdown and then accelerates in the lower gear...

Does it on tip tronic too.

Having read some of the threads on here - i notice that i shouldn't have be using tippy to change down as i always do on a manual.... could that have caused damage do you think?

i take it you mean using the gears to slow the car down (engine Braking). this not something i would recomend you do. but each to there own. i am not sure if an outo box is supposed to be used/disigned for this type of driving.

However the car will do engine braking on it own, if you are the following situation (as a safety feature).

going down hill in high gear, with no throttle, and the speed of the car is increasing, the car will change down a gear to aid the slowing process.

very clever.

Turbo_Steve
20-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Is it definitely the autobox and not (say) the diff or transfer unit?

Subaru ETA
21-10-2008, 06:40 AM
as i said - the transfer case gives a real bad vibration when it gives up the ghost