PDA

View Full Version : Dropping the V6

wannis
21-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Hi all,

I was going to put the V6 up for sale, so took the car to my mates to get a full valet but they call it detailing now!!!!.......had a call to say the car is ready, popped over and O MY GOD!! the Galant was like new, all the swirl marks and scratches gone paint work was like a mirror , engine bay clean....no joke it was like showroom condition!!!....from that I have decided to keep the Galant....amazing what a clean car can do!!!

So, as I'm kepping the car I thought I tarted up a bit more and got her a new set of 18" shoes and now thinking of taking her back down to earth, my question is............I'm a bit tight on the cash side and am thinking of just getting the springs, not sure which to go for PI or Spax or any other anyone can suggest.
With just buying the lowering springs can the standerd shocks be ok with this or do I need to buy new shocks and springs??

Thanks

Wannis

ritch_w
21-10-2008, 01:38 PM
get Eibach Springs, they are around £150 - £170 ish but far superior than PI or any of that crap.

Search for Eibach for more info etc

wannis
21-10-2008, 02:44 PM
get Eibach Springs, they are around £150 - £170 ish but far superior than PI or any of that crap.

Thanks, how much does that lower the car by, and also fitting the springs to standard shocks will be ok?

psbarham
21-10-2008, 07:43 PM

or you could take the blinkers off and try something new.

i have PI's on my v6 and have had several peeps comment how they prefer the handling of mine over the eibachs.

Big Ian
21-10-2008, 10:11 PM
i had "Ventura" springs and BOGE shocks on my GLS, worked very, very well

Kieran
21-10-2008, 11:38 PM
I had Bilstein B4 shocks (Basically OE replacement) coupled with H&R -30mm lowering springs. They weren't progressive like the Eibachs and the ride was firm, but not uncomfortable.

These days there's Bilstein B6 (Standard size, firmer valving) and B8 (Shortened, same valving as B6) also available.

ritch_w
22-10-2008, 08:29 AM
or you could take the blinkers off and try something new.

nope cant do that!

its too silly!

move along please!

:scholar:

wannis
22-10-2008, 08:51 AM
would it be ok to fit these springs to my standard shocks????

Kieran
22-10-2008, 09:31 AM
would it be ok to fit these springs to my standard shocks????

Yeah, most shocks tolerate a -30mm drop. However, depending on mileage, we've found in the past that by the time the standard shocks have covered about 60/70k, they're past their best and are getting ready for a change anyway.

wannis
22-10-2008, 11:44 AM
anyone knows where the best place is to buy the shocks and springs from?

ritch_w
22-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Ive used these guys for springs:
http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/frame-detail.asp?PAGE=/eibach-springs.htm
they also do Bilstein shocks too ;)

I used my local motor factor for KYB shocks, but would have preferred the bilstiens.

search for the posts on eibachs an bilstiens for a full run down from the guys that have fitted them ;)

The Vee
22-10-2008, 04:37 PM
i have PI's on my v6 and have had several peeps comment how they prefer the handling of mine over the eibachs.

Yep I was one of them. Although I preferred the slightly less drop of the Eibachs I find them very difficult to control the ride, giving a very annoying pitching over some surfaces which (I believe) is down to the progressive part bottoming out on to the stiffer section as it were without a smooth transition. I have managed to tune this out to some degree by fitting Koni adjustables but not perfect. To be fair the ride is good at all other times. I fear the softer original dampers may not cope with the Eibachs.

wannis
23-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks all for the info!!

I'm still in two minds in dropping the galant -30mm or -40mm, has anyone got pics of there V6 Salon lowerd on -30mm springs or -40mm springs on 18" alloys, so I can get an idea on which drop to go for.

thanks in advance!

psbarham
23-10-2008, 05:05 PM
there's some in my gallery of my V6 dropped 40mm but its on 17's

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=30

wannis
24-10-2008, 10:11 AM
there's some in my gallery of my V6 dropped 40mm but its on 17's

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=30

Thanks!

Whats the ride like and have you got any clearance issue? speed humps, multi story car parks?

thanks

psbarham
24-10-2008, 07:48 PM
never had any issue's with rubbing, you just have to be careful with speed bumps.

luisigor
08-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Yep I was one of them. Although I preferred the slightly less drop of the Eibachs I find them very difficult to control the ride, giving a very annoying pitching over some surfaces which (I believe) is down to the progressive part bottoming out on to the stiffer section as it were without a smooth transition. I have managed to tune this out to some degree by fitting Koni adjustables but not perfect. To be fair the ride is good at all other times. I fear the softer original dampers may not cope with the Eibachs.

I would like to lower the car by 30mm. I searched for the springs that you mentioned before but the only ones available in the U.S. are the Eibach. Then I searched for the sport shocks and none of them appeared. The KYB OE replacement are the only ones available in my country. So, if you say the Eibachs wont couple with the soft damper, I have a real problem.

Could you please explain better the "very difficult to control the ride giving a very annoying pitching over some surfaces" part??? I'm looking for the original comfort (maybe a little bit stiffer for better performance) but 30mm lower. Please have in mind that our roads are not very smooth.

Thanks,

Igor

The Vee
11-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Igor,
have responded to your PM:thumbsup: