PDA

View Full Version : Couple of MT questions

SiliconAngel
23-10-2008, 10:56 AM
As some of you may know, I'm halfway through a clutch replacement. Today I noticed a couple of odd things so I thought I'd bounce them off those who might know ;)

Does anyone know what this brass washer-thing is, and where it comes from?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g199/SiliconAngel/Unidentified.jpg

I found it sitting on the ground today, I have NFI where it came from. I'm pretty careful about bagging and labelling everything I pull off, but if this fell off / out of the transmission as it came off, I have no idea where it goes :(

Next up, I have a small hole through the side of the transmission going into the space between it and the transfer case:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g199/SiliconAngel/Missing2.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g199/SiliconAngel/Missing1.jpg

Is there meant to be some kind of seal or breather here? Or is this hole meant to be there? Seems an odd place to let water and dirt get into...

Thanks!

peter thomson
23-10-2008, 11:35 AM
I can't help you Trevor as I have an auto but thought I would just say congratulations as you having started a thread about your new addition to your family on CVR4 .Hope both mum and baby are doing well

SiliconAngel
23-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks Pete, yea we're all still a bit tired and trying to get into the swing of our new lives, it's quite the steep learning curve! But he's really fantastic, easily the best thing I've ever done and we're definitely loving every minute of the journey!

Nick Mann
23-10-2008, 06:49 PM
I don't recognise the brass washer, and I have just taken a manual box out of a VR4.

The hole is a drain hole I think? The rubbish can't get in to anything important due to the rubber seals on the shaft and oil ways.

Nick Mann
23-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Aha! Is the washer from the air box? Does it go through the rubber seal where the box bolts to the arm from the battery tray?

bradc
23-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Ahh yes, you are right Nick!

I knew I had seen it before. There is one hidden bolt on the front of the airbox that bolts into the strut tower and that sleeve goes in there.

zedy1
23-10-2008, 09:46 PM
The brass washer could be of the selecter cables

SiliconAngel
24-10-2008, 05:36 AM
Full points to Nick! As soon as I read that I realised it instantly (I've had the airbox out five or six times now). Thanks man, you're a champ :)

Dunno how that brass washer ended up on the ground though... *scratches head*

Nick Mann
24-10-2008, 05:45 PM
:afro:

Glad it was right! I didn't think of it straight away as I was thinking gearbox.

I hate that phenomenon of bolts deciding that they don't want to go back in the right position, or even in the right number. It's so frustrating! Still - every mechanic in the land ends up with a big tin of bits after a few years...... /pan

Subaru ETA
25-10-2008, 03:51 AM
:afro:

Glad it was right! I didn't think of it straight away as I was thinking gearbox.

I hate that phenomenon of bolts deciding that they don't want to go back in the right position, or even in the right number. It's so frustrating! Still - every mechanic in the land ends up with a big tin of bits after a few years...... /pan

i have 3 draws and a box of bits :speechles :thinking:

OnBoost!
27-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Yeah good idea doing it yourself,because this is the cost otherwise,depending on garage i guess.

1: Clutch Kit: $867.31
2: Freight: $8.00
3: Outwork: $45.00
4: Gear Oil: $11.50
5: Labour: $500
6: Misc costs: $100....and that isn't including GST.

SiliconAngel
17-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Yea you save a lot and learn a lot about the car, too.

Nick I actually worked out on the weekend, I spoke too soon - that brass washer thing holds the bracket on the clutch line that goes to the slave cylinder in place on top of the transmission. So there you go ;)

Nick Mann
17-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Heh! At least you worked it out! :thumbsup: