PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Upgrades

VR4WGN
24-10-2008, 09:58 AM
well guys i may be the original pimpstar but im not a engine guru,but my project legnum has arrived and the engine arrives next week,its going to be a summer project now the cancer is over but,but i want to mod it out,iv been thinking of either fitting a gto twin turby in it or upgrade turbos to TD04's,please if any of you have any ideas or possible problems that id face please let me know,i have the M/T,non AYC Conversion,etc.. car is going thru a weight reduction stage aswell,most panels will be fibreglass,carbon fibre,carbon kevlar,this is going to be my buisnesses promo car so has to look the part aswell as do the part,my old legnum smoked sti's but i want this 1 to stand out,so please please any info or help would be apreciated,thanx

bradc
24-10-2008, 11:48 AM
A GTO engine will be too much work, they were orientated the other way for a start and the gearbox is completely different.

A better option would be going with TD04's or GT2554R's

Subaru TD04's can almost bolt onto the stock manifolds and are fairly common, but there are a lot of different models and trying to find a matching pair can be hard. They will be good for 260kw or so at the wheels. Spool up about 500rpm behind the stock turbos.

GT2554R's will spool up super quickly as well due to being ball bearing turbos and will provide more linear boost response, and flow about 300kw ATW, so slightly better all round than the TD04's, but cost more. Fortunately they are readily available new.

Nick Mann
24-10-2008, 05:41 PM
I am on the road of working out fitting TD04L turbos from a scooby WRX to a 6A13. I intend to be able to sell the parts as a kit when I have worked it out, but it is still in the design stage at the moment, let alone proving!

The front turbo will foul the larger of the two radiator fans and the oil way from the block to the filter. It will also be difficult to miss the air con pump with the elbow to the downpipes. The only real issue with the rear turbo is missing the bulkhead. That may not be so easy too! Then there is inlet, water and oil pipework to sort too!

Turbo_Steve
24-10-2008, 05:45 PM
-nods- What he said.

Matching TD04s shouldn't be too hard: find someone who wrecks subarus, tell them you need a pair of turbos off a 1997/98 WRX wagon and you should be okay.

As brad says, there is no simple bolt-up option for these cars: it's either fabrication of new manifolds, or messing about with TD04s on the existing ones
The TD04s are definitely the cheaper option, though.

If you're after stupid power at the expense of driveability, TD05s are an option, though things might get a little cramped in the engine bay fitting them in. 16gs are the standard choice, and should see you past 600bhp, though if you're keeping the engine internals standard, there are a lot of questions about how lon it will last at this power output. TD05-20G hybrids will take even longer to spool but should see you over 800bhp with the right supporting work. I don't think I'd want to drive that normally, though.

Brad's choice of GT2554Rs is an extremely good one: these are awesome turbos, used commonly on Civics for their excellent spool and high flow.
A matched pair will really be quite something, and quite capable of 500bhp or more whilst retaining the cars factory response.

VR4WGN
24-10-2008, 08:02 PM
thanx heaps guys,my search will begin,i was given 2x near new td04's ill post the part numbers on here and you guys let me know if theyr anygood,fabrication and feed lines are not an issue as im a certified welder and engineering is my trade field,but please keep me in the loop as i said im no engine guru but visual guru lol
thanx so much guys,i am going to need some help ovehauling my engine and gearbox to rebuild it so if theres anyone who is interested in mby helping me or doing it for me ill consider deals on kits or whatever you may need,thanx heaps people
~Q~

Ghost_2008
24-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Now I really want 2 GT2554R!!!!!!

Nevman
24-10-2008, 09:50 PM
So do I !!!

djb160
24-10-2008, 10:03 PM
have a read through these for a start
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6405
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22724
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21352

This ones for the members
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7245

Madhav
31-10-2008, 06:29 AM
I'm also doing a project with a pair of kkr turbos, are also good for 300kw, spool up quick and are cheap, new and come with a 1 year warranty. They will need supporting mods obviously, will find out more in the next 6-8 weeks as they are fitted.

VR4WGN
31-10-2008, 07:29 AM
I'm also doing a project with a pair of kkr turbos, are also good for 300kw, spool up quick and are cheap, new and come with a 1 year warranty. They will need supporting mods obviously, will find out more in the next 6-8 weeks as they are fitted.
keep me informd plz

Madhav
31-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Check my members thread on ozvr4, I'm away for the next 8 weeks, but hopefully some of the west Aussie blokes will keep us all updated.

Oblivion
03-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Wow another seriously quick VR4 in the works :)
I know a few people have said in theory its possible to make more than 600hp but has it actually ever been done?

djb160
03-11-2008, 10:34 AM
I think someone(Valmes?) posted a link somewhere to the JUN car that was about 500-600 from memory.

CANDEE
03-11-2008, 08:28 PM
I think someone(Valmes?) posted a link somewhere to the JUN car that was about 500-600 from memory.
That had a 4G63 in it though....

J

djb160
04-11-2008, 03:51 AM
OKay it was the other one then. Endless?

Goku
04-11-2008, 03:53 AM
I'm pretty sure the jun one he's referring to was a 6A13TT

I remember looking at the picture quite intently.

However, I remember him saying it was around the 500hp mark.

bradc
04-11-2008, 05:59 AM
They did a 6A13TT one with two TD05's that made 550hp

Oblivion
05-11-2008, 12:36 AM
So no one has yet to go past 550? :thinking: hmm...... Apart from the displacement and turbos, are GTO (3000GT) engines much different? They regularly achieve big numbers:afro:

Nick Mann
05-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Yes. They spin the wrong way.

JHLT
20-11-2008, 07:32 AM
what about 2 t25g turbos?

VR4WGN
20-11-2008, 08:11 AM
how did they fit the 2 td05's?? in the originl pplacings or moved to another rea(ie AIRBOX BATTERY AREA),i want the promo leggy to make the top numbers,if its workable in theory its do able in enginering,with the correct 6A13TT Scientists close by im sure we kud cook up some kumeras or something

Turbo_Steve
20-11-2008, 09:30 AM
T25s are roughly equivalent to what is already fitted.
They are slightly larger, spool slightly slower, and will go on to make a little more power (maybe 400bhp) but you'll be at the very limits of their efficiency.
For the amount of work involved, they're not worth the effort, and believe me I've thought about this as I have a pair of nearly new ones sat in the workshop!

Turbo_Steve
20-11-2008, 09:34 AM
VR4WGN, I think they relocated an awful lot of stuff to get the TD05s to fit.
I've been looking at this, and I think there's plenty of space at the back of the engine if you make a slightly longer manifold.

Unfortunately the front turbo is extremely cramped, and you're definitely looking at changing the radiator fans (maybe to push rather than pull?) if nothing else, but I suspect a complete change of radiator would be required.

The JUN car had a lot of very curious plumbing changes as well.

And of course, for all this, you're either going to need to fit a piggy back ECU or, my preference, fit a decent stand alone.

VR4WGN
20-11-2008, 09:53 AM
might need to have you on the Science teamfor this then??

JHLT
20-11-2008, 11:53 AM
dont the td03 have the same flange as the T2 turbos? The reason for suggesting the T25g is that they are a little larger than the T25 and may be easier to fit than the td04 as manifold modification is needed

Turbo_Steve
20-11-2008, 02:40 PM
I was actually looking into this a while back, but I didn't think the flanges looked the same? If the flange DOES fit, using that exhaust housing with a ball bearing cartridge & large compressor (2x GT27R here I come!) is a definite route to 500bhp+.

VR4WGN
20-11-2008, 07:29 PM
well let me know guys,i have td04l turbos,and an extra 2 sets of turbos so ill sell them to fund the new turbo purchase

Goku
20-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Looking at the JUN one, they actually moved the radiator and the intercooler so they ran an inverted V shape. I think that's how they got the space for the front turbo.

Not too difficult, however, I believe you will have to forgo luxuries such as aircon, due to that being in front of the radiator.

It is all possible with the right amount of determination :D and a hammer

scott.mohekey
20-11-2008, 09:05 PM
A BFH! (Big Fooking Hammer)

Gowf
21-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Depending on what TD05 you go for they can fit. If you use a subaru one, you can drill the turbo flange to accomodate the stock manifold, but you will also need to make the manifold outlet wider.

There's modification required to the bulkhead to fit the rear, but the front needs the oil filter relocated and a custom take off plate made, as if the ones you can buy off the shelf protrude too far, aircon removed and push fans put in. And thats just the begining.

Im still a fan of custom manifolds, because although they may cost the earth, it does mean that you can have the turbo where it actualy fits.