PDA

View Full Version : noisy wipers

mesobitchy
24-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Got an annoying noise coming from the wipers when there on.
at first we thought it might have been the blades, cos it sounds like metal scraping across the glass. this isnt the case.
it sounds like its coming from the arms themselfs.

any ideas as to what an why, an any suggestions to make it stop,
cos it so damn annoying.

Kieran
24-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Got an annoying noise coming from the wipers when there on.
at first we thought it might have been the blades, cos it sounds like metal scraping across the glass. this isnt the case.
it sounds like its coming from the arms themselfs.

any ideas as to what an why, an any suggestions to make it stop,
cos it so damn annoying.

It's a little nylon bearing on the wiper linkage. You need to remove the black plastic cover that's at the bottom of the windscreen and that'll expose the linkage. Get in there with a good dose of spray grease and you'll be well away.

Sets your teeth on edge, doesn't it!/Grrr

Kieran
24-10-2008, 03:45 PM
In fact, there's more detail here:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21152

Danj
24-10-2008, 06:53 PM
ive found that i get a clinking sound when the wipers are on full bore,- found its the wiper arms clashing when they reach the rest position?

mesobitchy
24-10-2008, 08:39 PM
that link is good, thanks guys :)
if its not peeing it down tomorrow we will crack on with this.
an nails down a black bord comes to mind/Grrr

pitslayer
27-10-2008, 02:18 PM
my solution to annoying wipers is, clean glass with fastglass first, then clean again with fastglass....apply a coat of rainx, leave to dry, wash off(not wipe off) hose is fine for this, but put the wipers on whilst doing it.... then stop, dry screen, apply another coat of rain x wash off like above....then dry completely....no need to use wipers for a few months then

mesobitchy
27-10-2008, 02:48 PM
love rain-x!
didnt think it was good untill i tryed it :)

valleyforge1
27-10-2008, 03:08 PM
I get a god aweful noise when the windscreen wiper gets fully vertical and then goes down to the rest position. Its like a "Whack" sound and then the windscreen wiper goes back down.

miller
27-10-2008, 03:17 PM
I get a god aweful noise when the windscreen wiper gets fully vertical and then goes down to the rest position. Its like a "Whack" sound and then the windscreen wiper goes back down.

common sound relating to oversized wipers hitting the pillar?
Check your 19'' and 22'' Keith :speechles :scholar:

mesobitchy
27-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Check your 19'' and 22'' Keith :speechles :scholar:

wipers that is eh? ;) /lol

I-S
27-10-2008, 11:53 PM

I had this for many years with my GLS - I made the mistake of asking the dealer to change wipers - they just changed the rubber bit.

The sound is caused by play in the clip that attaches the wiper assembly to the arm. Replace with a new set of wipers and this will go away until the clip wears again. Good reason not to use those replacement rubber bits.

Kieran
28-10-2008, 12:03 AM
I had this for many years with my GLS - I made the mistake of asking the dealer to change wipers - they just changed the rubber bit.

The sound is caused by play in the clip that attaches the wiper assembly to the arm. Replace with a new set of wipers and this will go away until the clip wears again. Good reason not to use those replacement rubber bits.

Aye - It can also be caused by the wiper arms being a couple of splines out from the 'factory' position on the wiper arm shaft - As might happen if you've had to get a new windscreen or similar - And literally a couple of splines is all it takes between quiet and the top of the offside wiper blade smacking the frame - Especially when you're using 'fast' wipe.

pitslayer
28-10-2008, 01:35 AM
mine click in a wierd place...after they have gone down, hit the stop at the scuttle panel and start to come up, about 2 inches up the screen the one then clicks...but i rarely use my wipers

wantavr4
28-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Had the same problem with mine. Sprayed a load of grease on the end of the arm and drove for 3 hours to japfest in mondello in the pouring rain with them on full and hey presto noise gone!!