PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Carbonetic

Carbonetic
31-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Hi all,

Just like to introduce myself and Carbonetic UK. First of all I would just like to say thank you to the mods on here for letting me post about Carbonetic.

Carbonetic UK are the Sole UK distributor of Carbonetic products.

Anyway basically I am on here to provide knowledge and technical information on our range of Clutches and LSD's. I am not doing the big sale or telling you to buy this compared to other brands. I am just here for anyone who is thinking of buying a Carbonetic product, and I will help you with any questions you have. (Unfortunately Carbonetic do not sell direct to the public, only to our dealers, so I would not be advertising prices on here)

So a bit of history, In 2001 ATS &Across Japan successfully released a state-of-the-art line up of carbon clutches and LSDs to the automotive/race marketplace. In 2006 Across setup Carbonetic as their automotive side, still known as ATS and Across in Japan but the rest of the world we are known as Carbonetic.
Their range of products covers every aspect of use, anything from drag, race or fast road use. Carbonetic (ATS&Across) are regarded as the best in Japan for carbon products, you will find the products in numerous race cars and race series with podium finishes.

Along side their successful range of clutches and LSDs they now include, gear sets, final drives, brake kits, performance discs and brake pads in their line up for all popular performance Japanese cars and now covering more European cars.

Next year i will try to attend as many meets/shows as possible. And depending when i make my mind up I will have either a DC2 or DC5 as a demo car with the products fitted. And you will be more than welcome to test the car.

We are also developing a Twin plate clutch for the VR4 as well, this will be able to hold 600-900BHP. The clutches are very easy to use, you can drive them half clutch, hill starts are easy. They are very good for day to day driving, what we would be possibly do is offer one of the clutches when its ready for one of the member on here to install and test to give some feedback.

Many thanks

Gavin

elnevio
31-10-2008, 01:13 PM
/Welcome2 to CVR4!

The clutch is no doubt appealing to the manual owners on here!

Are there any plans to develop a kit to upgrade the AYC system in any way? I'm not sure how much of a technical minefield that is though.

bradc
31-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Most importantly, do you have a final drive option for out manual gearboxes?

Gowf
31-10-2008, 01:54 PM
As said welcome to the club! I was actualy talking to james at amber performace about a week or so ago about a twin plate clutch, but was going to have to go for an evo one and make a spacer up.

Basicaly, the current clutch in my car just cant cope with it. Infact it died on 3rd launch at japshow finale.

Its currently running 400-450bhp depending on what fuels in it, but there are plans in motion for a lot more than that.

Its still used as a car on the road as well so i like the idea of having a clutch that is a bit more parking friendly than my current one.

One main issue that it has is that it struggles for traction, so any new diff opertunities would definately be considered by me.

So i suppose im saying that id happiy be a guinee pig and id like to talk to you more about what you have to offer.

Carbonetic
31-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Well the Clutch on the Evo 4-9 is very similar to the Gallant. All we would need to do is modify the flywheel; this would not take long for us to produce production model clutches for the Gallant.

A twin would easily hold 400-500 bhp, they are really easy to drive with, you would be suprised that you it is a twin with the way it feels.

LSD's i will check with Japan, I definitely know that the clutch is an option but the LSD i am not sure of a release date. We cover all marks of the EVO for LSD's that also include the Evo's with AYC.

Again for the Final drive, we do one for the Evo but i would need to check for you to see if the Evo would fit the Gallant.

I am glad of the feedback from you guys. The chaps in Japan asked me if there was a market for the Gallant and it looks like there is. Fortunately it would not take long to produce these items for your vehicles.

Many thanks

Gavin

bradc
31-10-2008, 10:33 PM
The EVO 4-9 5 speed is the same as ours, so yes swaps are possible. The stock evo is 4.529, and our stock is 4.111. We are after something in the 3.65-3.80 range.

Nick Mann
01-11-2008, 12:20 PM
A machine shop is making a spacer ring for me to work as an evo flywheel adapter. I will have a cost for the ring along with a prototype on monday. I haven't sourced bolts to hold the evo flywheel to the crank yet though. They are M11 (!) with a fine thread I believe.

pitslayer
01-11-2008, 03:40 PM
The EVO 4-9 5 speed is the same as ours, so yes swaps are possible. The stock evo is 4.529, and our stock is 4.111. I am after something in the 3.65-3.80 range.
Edited for accuracy /lol /pan:iloveyou:

and welcome to the club

bernmc
01-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Carbonetic UK are the Sole UK distributor of Carbonetic products.

That's odd... got my Carbonetics twin plate from Ben Linney at GTC... are you the same bunch?

elnevio
01-11-2008, 04:14 PM
That's odd... got my Carbonetics twin plate from Ben Linney at GTC... are you the same bunch?
I think this may be an explanation:

(Unfortunately Carbonetic do not sell direct to the public, only to our dealers, so I would not be advertising prices on here)

bradc
01-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Kylie, thats not true, quite a few real men on here with real gearboxes want a longer final drive.

djb160
01-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Feel free to produce a matching 600-900BHP engine for that clutch :D

Carbonetic
03-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Cheers for the comments guys.

First off the final gear ratio we do is 4.000, we do not do anything lower than that.

As for Ben, the story goes like this. Carbonetic Japan wanted a UK main distributor, there were two main contenders, Ben and Dave stone at DS Automotives, and they chose Dave. Ben does not sell Carbonetic products anymore.

Cheers

Gavin

bradc
03-11-2008, 09:59 AM
What if we could secure 10 orders?

Carbonetic
03-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Hi Brad,

What would you like to secure? Final gears?

Many thanks

Gavin

Nick Mann
03-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Yeah. Final drive with a 3.7ish ratio.

There *might* be 10 of us interested.

Is it worth pricing up?

bradc
04-11-2008, 07:13 AM
what Nick said ^

Carbonetic
04-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Well i have approached our Japanese office to see what can be done.

As the final drives are the same as the Evo it should not be to much of an issue to sort out, i will report back with a price.

Also the LSD's for the VR-4 am i correct that you can use a 7-9 Evo LSD with no modifications to the LSD?

Cheers

Gavin

Nick Mann
04-11-2008, 12:57 PM
The rear diff can be swapped from all AYC evos. The front diff is on the gearbox output shaft and is identical to the 5spd evos. The centre diff I think is in the transfer box, which Brad has traced to identical to the Evo 6 transfer box.

I am under the impression that the Evos can change their front and rear diffs to limited slip easily, so I would be very suprised if the Evo solutions for those did not fit the VR4.

Carbonetic
04-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the information, This is handy to know as we cover all Evo's, so in theory the LSD's should fit!

bernmc
04-11-2008, 06:48 PM
As for Ben, the story goes like this. Carbonetic Japan wanted a UK main distributor, there were two main contenders, Ben and Dave stone at DS Automotives, and they chose Dave. Ben does not sell Carbonetic products anymore.

That's a pity - good price, helpful and excellent customer service. I'd have gone back to him.

I have had a couple of episodes of the old 'carbon clutch slip' since installing the new engine. For anyone who hasn't heard of this, it was a big problem with earlier carbon clutches - they work best when hot. So blatting down the motorway, put your foot down... and nothing but high revs happens because the cold clutch just slips. The problem has supposed to have been largely sorted out.

I've only had it in 2nd gear when I've been pootling about a while, but still a bit irritating - keeping the clutch warm is not generally something you think about!

Apart from that, I've been pretty happy with it. Not too heavy, faultless on trackdays.

May try a coppermix next time though.

Carbonetic
17-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Well i cannot common really, but i can promise that the customer service and pricing will not change :)

That's the nature of a Carbon clutch, they do need a bit of heat for the plates to grip, yes you are correct early clutches were more prone to it. But now i have not heard of any customers complaining.

You do have a warm up procedure for them if you are going to do a bit of drag racing.

but the advantages of these clutches over metal is far exceeds the slight disadvantage ! :)

Many thanks

Gavin

Carbonetic
04-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Hello everyone.

As some of you may have heard, Carbonetic are bringing out a new Carbon clutch called the 'Blade'.

This clutch is a paddle style clutch and is aimed to take on the ‘stage 2 clutches’ from companies like RPS, Spec, ACT and Exedy etc.

The blade clutch is the only OEM replacement Carbon clutch on the market and be the cheapest to!

The Blade clutch is designed as an OEM replacement, so it will fit on to a standard flywheel or to the new Carbonetic lightweight flywheel.

When you purchase the clutch, the kit will contain a cover plate, clutch disc and new release bearing with added option of a lightweight flywheel.

The power rating is going to be around 400 + bhp with a comparative torque figure. I am still waiting for an official figure but the power out put they can take is looking very good. Not only that the clutch is like driving an OEM clutch unlike sintered this very easy to modulate, you would not know that you are driving the car with an up rated carbon clutch. Along with this the clutch will bed-in within 100km where you can use it to its full potential.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/Gefunk/DSC01687.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/Gefunk/DSC01691.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/Gefunk/blade2.jpg

Benefits of the Carbon blade clutch:

1. Quick Shifting!

The specific gravity of the Carbon is 1/3 of iron. By attaching our special carbon material on the outer edges of the clutch disc, an ultra low inertia is released which cannot be accomplished by conventional metal sintered and OEM clutches, The low inertia makes quick shifting very easy and at the same time it minimizes the damages to the scynrco gears.

2. Excellent Friction characteristics

A standard clutch disc usually fades at high temperature and the torque capacity declines substantially. However, the carbon disc has much higher resistance to fade and maintains normal operation. When the carbon is cooled down, the friction coefficient is relatively low and consequently it provides softer and judder less engagement. When it is warmed up, with an increase of friction coefficient, the clutch transfers a much higher torque value. This is a high performance clutch which is very easy to use for daily driving.

3. Damper Spring
The new carbon clutch has spring centre dampers in order to achieve an easy operation and to reduce the impact to the transmission at the engagement.
4. Stable Clutch Operation
The conventional metal clutches susceptible to the engagement point changes depending on the degree of thermal expansion. The carbon disc has extremely low thermal coefficient of expansion (1/10 of he iron) and the clutch operation is not affected by the heat.

Available clutches from March
The clutch will come in two forms, a 3 puck design which is for the NA and smaller turbo charged cars, like the Honda Integra, Civic, Toyota Celica, Starlet etc.
The other is 4 puck design this will be for turbo charge cars. For example Evo/Impreza, Skyline GTS’s, etc.
The following will be available:
Mitsubishi Evo 4-10
Subaru Impreza GC8 and GDB
Honda Integra Type R DC2/DC5
Honda Civic Type R EP3/EK9/FN2
Honda S2000
Shortly followed by:
Nissan Skyline GTS 32/33/34 S13/14/15
Toyota MR2 Turbo, Celica GT4, Starlet/Glaza turbo
Mitsubishi VR4
Audi/VW TDI 1.8T 2.0T engines
Ford Focus New RS/ST
BMW M3
Porsche 911 RS

As for the pricing this is TBA, you can rest assured that they are going to be priced very competitively against the competition.
The clutch will be available as of March

Any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks

Gavin

MarkSanne
04-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Slightly offtopic: do the V6 N/A 5-speed manual gearboxes (like I have on my VR2) use the same clutch/etc as the VR4's?