PDA

View Full Version : Vr4 Gbox Problems

LELACHEUR
25-05-2003, 11:10 AM
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY WHEN I START MY VR4 FROM COLD IT ALWAYS STARTS IN 2ND GEAR. I HAVE REPLACED THE HIGH SPEED AND LOW SPEED SENSORS, OIL FILTER AND OIL TO WHICH HAVE BEEN NO SUCESS. AFTER DRIVING THE VEHICLE FOR APPROXIMATELY TWO - THREE MINUTES THE BOX CHANGES AND CAN BE DRIVEN ALL DAY WITH NO PROBLEMS. THIS MUST A ELECTRICAL FAULT ANYBODY HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS??

haydar
26-05-2003, 12:33 AM
There might be a problem with the traction control. I don't know if it's true for VR4 but many automatics start in a higher gear when conditions are slippery, such as snow to reduce the amount of potential wheel spin. It could be that when your car first starts up goes into winter mode. It then reverts to normal mode once it's warmed up.

Another reason could be that because when you start up your car it's on automatic choke, the engine is revving much higher than normal. This mean that the car believes it has enough torque to start in second. You might want to set your idle a tad lower.

The other thing to do is reset the ECU INSERT INTO post VALUES (the method is posted in other parts of this site but basically take your battery out for 30 minues). When you put your battery back in, drive the car in tiptronic mode as soon as you start it up, not changing into second gear until the revs pass 4k. The tiptronic is supposed to learn your driving style for when it's in full auto mode.

Hope this helps.

LELACHEUR
28-05-2003, 08:45 AM
Thanks will try am really fed up with it now.