PDA

View Full Version : FS: Reluctantly gauging interest......1997 Legnum VR-4 Type-S

Kieran
19-11-2008, 11:51 AM
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Yep... It's the end of the line peeps. :sad3:

My continuing unemployment means that we need to now let my beloved Legnum go. And I am FAR from happy about that. However needs must and the decision is made.

If there is sufficient interest I will post a full 'For Sale' advert with all the details. In fact I've got a Word document open at the moment and I've already got two A4 sides filled with the service history alone - So it'll be a little while yet before that's finished.

I think most of you know what that car means to me and Alex, how I look after it and what we've spent on it. Well, actually you don't know exactly how much and neither do we because I dare not total up all these invoices. Let's just say that if I were given roughly what I've spent on the car (not including purchase) I could easily purchase any VR-4 on sale in the UK, and probably have plenty left over for post purchase servicing and a few little bits!:inquisiti

Ideally I'd like to think, with all the extras and the big pile of new and unfitted parts I have in my garage for her, that I could get somewhere around the £3600 mark. A swap/exchange is something I'd consider, but really I need to free up the cash... But if you have something you think I'd be interested in, I'm listening. It'd have to be cheap though!

There's a few piccies here:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34109

So... If you've seen the car and fancy it, or know someone who may well be interested, please post up and if there's sufficient interest I'll post up the full details.

richy rich
19-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Sorry to hear this K. :sad3: Yours is 1 of the very few cars out there that I know of that I'd gladly part with £3600, and if I had the money I would buy It.

Time for another coupe weekend then to get that up and running.:pimp2:

WildCards
19-11-2008, 12:00 PM
ooh yer fecker. Um, bad news mate, I hope some good fortune comes your way before it goes.

AncientOfMu
19-11-2008, 12:10 PM
thats prolly the worst news ive heard in a long while.

good luck with the sale.

Someone should snap it up :)

elnevio
19-11-2008, 12:11 PM
:speechles

Sorry to hear this. I truly hope you find some work before Ariadne really has to go.

miller
19-11-2008, 12:12 PM
ahh noooooooooo

hope work comes along soon and it stays, beautifull example and my god its quick!

AncientOfMu
19-11-2008, 12:13 PM
oh and imho 3600 is too cheap. You should be able to get more than that for her.

White Lightning
19-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Well, I am not totally surprised to see this thread following our chat at the weekend ... but I am none-the-less very sorry to see that things have to come to this.

As others have said, I hope you get yourself sorted before Ariadne has to be sold.

Nevman
19-11-2008, 01:06 PM
DON'T DO IT, Sorn it, wait a bit longer but DON'T SELL YOUR FRIEND!
You'll be gutted and regret it for a long time K...
I can imagine that your situation must be very bad if you have to do it and I really, really hope that the wheel of fortune will turn 180deg before any offer is accepted.

peter thomson
19-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Second that as well . A sad day.

DON'T DO IT, Sorn it, wait a bit longer but DON'T SELL YOUR FRIEND!
You'll be gutted and regret it for a long time K...
I can imagine that your situation must be very bad if you have to do it and I really, really hope that the wheel of fortune will turn 180deg before any offer is accepted.

pitslayer
19-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Kieran it would be a shame, think of it what if the new owners get her dirty :(

You must feel a little worse than i do for putting mine up forsale been debating all night and today wether to pull it down from the for sale section.... like others have said would be much nicer if a job came along and you could keep her

Physician
19-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Agh! So very, very sorry to hear this Kieran. What can one say, except maybe look to the future as you know that around every corner there is a new, and often exciting, beginning. (There's also a BP station around the corner!) :iloveyou:

The Vee
19-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Well young K - really didn't expect this. Really sorry to hear. But, if it has to go, let me tell you peeps, I saw and drove this at the wekend, and believe me it drives as well as it looks. K has been quite fastidious with this car (as one would expect!).
Is SORN not an option though?

Turbo_Steve
19-11-2008, 03:18 PM
K. It's not worth it for £3600 mate. Seriously.

Kieran
19-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks for all the kind words guys. It is a sad day but I'm fairly sanguine about it. Our situation isn't desperate right now; but neither do I want it to go that way.

I don't really think SORN is the way forward - Credit Crunch aside these cars ain't gonna head upwards in value anytime soon. It is rather galling that not so long ago a properly fettled prefacelift was worth about £4500 - But them we all got pwned by the economy and everyone's tightening their belts. Rough with the smooth I guess. Looking on ebay the values of used cars are in freefall right now. Sure they'll recover but I'm not certain I'll have a job by then..... and if and but and so on and so on!/pan

Anyway.... There's lots of other barmy Jap Barges I simply MUST own in my lifetime, so it's not all doom and gloom.

Wodjno
19-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Shiit K :speechles

Thats knocked me for 6 :vulcan:

But as you say with the market as it is and with no job in the near future, your best to ge shut of before it's to late..

Hope a job turns up soon and it doesn't have to happen :happy:

But in the meantime, good luck with the sale /yes

I'm sure you shouldn't have any probs selling it in the condition its in :pimp2:

TAR
19-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Get yourself down to Tesco quick sharp and start stacking shelves, anything would be better than losing a car you love.

I am also very sad to hear that your situation isn't improving. Have you done all the usual things like putting a CV on Monster and cold calling prospective employers. You never know, something may turn up.

:happy:

richy rich
19-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Get yourself down to Tesco quick sharp and start stacking shelves, anything would be better than losing a car you love.

I am also very sad to hear that your situation isn't improving. Have you done all the usual things like putting a CV on Monster and cold calling prospective employers. You never know, something may turn up.

:happy:
K would last about 10min stacking shelves have you seen his garage./pan

But may be it is time to get a job doing something rather than nothing.

Wodjno
19-11-2008, 06:16 PM
K would last about 10min stacking shelves have you seen his garage./pan

/ttiwwop

Lillywotsername
19-11-2008, 06:30 PM
I could cry for you both seriously..... I know what that car means to you both and it will be a very sad day indeed if she has to go. Like Rich said... if we had the money we would have it off you in a heart beat.

Hope something comes up for you very soon Darling and you don't need to part with her. /grouphug xx

KiwiTT
19-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Oh No !!! Kieran. Finances must be really tight.

Like you I am also unemployed (3 months now), but I just could not let my "Dream Car" go. When I feel down I take the car for a drive and the pleasure I have knowing it is better than 90% of the crap out there on our roads make it better.

You will not find a better car, short of getting one costing 10 times or more as much.

bradc
19-11-2008, 07:02 PM
As others have said, you really will regret selling the VR-4 to one of the unwashed masses. Start waking up early and getting on the hunt for a job :)

Turbo_Steve
19-11-2008, 10:20 PM
If you're looking at a car as making any kind of financial sense, forget it: they don't. They've always been a crap investment, but it's taken the credit crunch for people to realise it.

IF you love the car (and you certainly seem to) then it's worth keeping: releasing £3500 is a worse investment than all the love and care you've put into it, and all the joy it brings you owning it.
I've been down this road, and unless you really belive it's time to move on, you'll regret it: as long as the car ticks all the boxes for you, I wouldn't consider buying something else until you've tried one out.

Nevman
19-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Let me tell you my story and not many people knows that.
My first 'dream car' was 8 years old 1992 Opel (Vauxhall) Vectra. I know, it's nothing special but for that time it was my bloody dream car.
Due to a financial situation 2 years later, I've had to sell it...
You know what? I've had to ask my mother to take it to the buyer as I just couldn't do it. The minute she's left I have burst in tears . And believe me: I NEVER CRY!!!
I took me a lot of time to get back to normal state of mind.
Mate, if you really love your car, don't do it as you WILL suffer big time.

ANTHONY
19-11-2008, 10:51 PM
its only a bit of old metal.

but a great bit of old metal that you love, we love. just store it somewhere

valleyforge1
19-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Same here mate ive been out of work for 4 months now and I do the same as Kiwi TT. The car only gets out about twice a week now but Iam holding on to it as long as I can. Fuel as to go in the C3 for Mandy to go to collage so its getting lean and mean.

Better days are ahead.

Really sorry to here about this Kieren. Every time I saw you clean that car at an event used to make me sweat.

Spirit
20-11-2008, 12:03 AM
So sorry to hear this Kieran, came as a bit of a shock......however everything you have said makes perfect sense. As others have said, whoever buys it will be getting a beauty, and just hope a job comes along before you sell her

Kieran
20-11-2008, 12:37 AM
If you're looking at a car as making any kind of financial sense, forget it: they don't. They've always been a crap investment, but it's taken the credit crunch for people to realise it.

IF you love the car (and you certainly seem to) then it's worth keeping: releasing £3500 is a worse investment than all the love and care you've put into it, and all the joy it brings you owning it.
I've been down this road, and unless you really belive it's time to move on, you'll regret it: as long as the car ticks all the boxes for you, I wouldn't consider buying something else until you've tried one out.

Yeah - I know what you're saying Steve, and indeed I have been down that road in the past. Years ago now I bought my first 'Posh' car - A Honda Accord Coupe. It was immaculate but I wasn't used to sub 30s MPG! And so 8 months later I part chopped it against a Rover 25 Diesel to 'Save Money'.

That particular page in my car history is known nowadays as the 'Rover Incident', such is my shame about it! :veryangry - It took me roughly.... a week to realise what a BAD choice it was and that I should've listened to my gut feeling. Alex also regrets that at the time, she didn't veto the idea untill I'd thought it through.

This isn't like that. It was a hard, and a surprisingly emotional decision, but I made it a few weeks ago now and in the meantime I've had plenty of time to reflect upon it. I regret the circumstances that have forced this decision upon us, but not the actual decision to sell - And Alex admitted when I finally blurted it out (Telling Alex was the worst bit! I felt like I was confessing to being unfaithful or something!!) that she'd been thinking the same... I think that says it all really!

KiwiTT
20-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Life goes on. You have a rock by you side. That all that really matters when it comes down to it.

At least I am sure you won't be leaving the club ... this is still a great place to hang out.

Turbo_Steve
20-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Well, it sounds like you're sure, so I feel there is nothing more to be said: It IS just a car after all. It just seems a shame to go for a "quick sale" price when it's now such a pristine example.

CANDEE
20-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Im sorry to hear this K... /Grrr

I hope you find a job before this becomes a necessity. /grouphug

J

Nice But
20-11-2008, 12:12 PM
K - Not around on here much these days but so sorry to hear of the pending sale of the VR. I had only owned mine for 8 months but they do get under your skin........ I still miss that slap in the back and the hiss of the BOV and the startled look on the face af the arse in the BMW you have just wiped over the floor.

The way I look at it is, there will be another 'something' along in the future that will float your boat the same as Ariadne did /rally . So don't despair Bud.

I'm waiting for the lottery win for my Evo X :happy: good job I'm patient.

Good luck in the job search......

Throbbe
20-11-2008, 05:19 PM
In an effort to find a silver lining (and I'm in the same boat) once things do pick up, the next car you buy will also have gone down in price in recent months.

KiwiTT
20-11-2008, 06:37 PM
there will be another 'something' along in the future
Don't count on it !!!

Now we have the /Grrr "PC" / "Green" brigade designing most cars we "masses" can afford.

Even the once mighty EVO and WRX is less of a "Fun" car. And even the GTR is well 3 times the price it was originally. i.e. nearly supercar prices.

These are the philosophical thoughts that have helped me keep the :3d: Galant VR-4 Quad-Cam Twin-Turbo 4-wheel-drive "Sports Sedan" /rally no matter what life is throwing at me ... and it has thrown a lot as some of you know

HMG1K
20-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Crikey, K !!!!

Now I know when other's say on here about how clean your clean machine is!!!!

Sweet car - really sorry to hear your news.

Davezj
20-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Sorry you are having to do this K. it must be gutting, but family comes first and if they need looking after then you got to take the hit.
It's going to be hard for you, but if you are doing it for the right reasons then it is the right thing to do.
only you can make that judgement, and i am sorry that you having to even make the choice in the first place.
best of luck to you and Alex.

justslow
20-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Kieran, to have brought me out, blinking, into the spotlight glare of the CVR4 forum, it must be an event of some magnitude, and your news is certainly that. Your last post almost brought a tear to my eye, knowing quite what Ariadne represents, both to yourself,and indeed us, your extended family, and the warmth of everyones replies highlights the esteem and affection in which you are held. Good luck to you Sir K !!
Here's an idea for you - How's about raffling her off to the members ?

Kieran
20-11-2008, 11:33 PM
:speechles Well... Um...err....:inquisiti

I have to say I really am speechless.... I'm touched (and perhaps a little embarassed too! :embarasse) by the number of replies you guys have made and the advice & support... My sincere thanks to all of you.:iloveyou:

I think I should say though that this is just about selling Ariadne, and I certainly have no wish to relinquish the iron grip I hav:inquisiti.... Err I mean, moving on from my Legnum doesn't mean moving on from ClubVR-4!:scholar: What it means is I'll be filling the boards with random stuff about The Coupe and whatever car I get to play with next; on that note, in some ways I am quite excited at the prospect of having some fresh metal to sink my polisher into! :D There's quite a few cars on my 'Cars I'd like to own at some point' posting (See here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=306193&postcount=43))... It could be interesting times!

Well, it seems there is quite a bit of interest, if just out of shock!

I'll have the official 'For Sale' advert up in the not too distant future and I think that'll make interesting reading. :)

SPK :smart:

KiwiTT
21-11-2008, 12:24 AM
(See here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=306193&postcount=43))... It could be interesting times!

... Suzuki Cappuccino ... :inquisiti Interesting times indeed ... have you told Alex about your new career :D

Hairdressing :afro:

Seriously though - An interesting car albeit a bit small in comparison to the others on the list

bradc
21-11-2008, 03:03 AM
If you ever want to own a cosmo, now would be the time as most of the 20B's have ended up in RX7's in NZ and Au

Alex
24-11-2008, 11:13 PM
:inquisiti Interesting times indeed ... have you told Alex about your new career :D Hairdressing :afro:

Seriously though - An interesting car albeit a bit small in comparison to the others on the list

I think the Cappuccino is more on K's wish list of cars for me - you don't seriously think I'm ever going to have a say in that do you??

Thank you to you all for supporting K in this - as I knew you would. It will be a shame to see the car go as we've had some fab times with her. But at the end of the day, I think it's better that we should sell her before we starting resenting how much she costs to run. Kieran has never kept any other car as long as Ariadne, which I think is testament to what a great car it is. I just hope she goes to someone who will appreciate her as much as we have.

And there's certainly no need to fear that K will spend less time on the forums - I'm afraid you're stuck with him :)

Wodjno
24-11-2008, 11:38 PM
A mate of mine is in the throws of putting his Cappucino up for sale .. and in the right colour (SILVER) ;-)

Roberto
25-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Ah K,

Such a pity, it would be hard to find a more loved and looked after car.
Is there no chance of getting any type of job for the moment.

Car detailing comes to mind...anything to keep some money coming in.

Throbbe
25-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Car detailing comes to mind...anything to keep some money coming in.

Unfortunately, it's a 'luxury', so one of the first things people cut back on at the moment.

It's bloody soul destroying, but temping as general office staff would get some money coming in.

KiwiTT
25-11-2008, 07:28 PM
... temping as general office staff would get some money coming in

I tried to get a job like that, but they took one look at my CV and said why would I want to.

eeerrrrr .... for the money !!!!/pan