PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak

Physician
25-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Could someone identify (to this non-mechanic) what this leak is please. It's leaking oil/fluid out of the end of the 'concertina' like rubber sheath. Thanks for any help.

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/leak.jpg

I should mention that ALL oil/fluid bottles in engine bay are FULL.

Richard

Darren
25-03-2004, 08:11 PM
is it a manual ?

Physician
25-03-2004, 08:16 PM
is it a manual ?

Sorry Darren, I should have put details ......... auto Invecs II, Type S VR4 1998.

Darren
25-03-2004, 08:26 PM
It's the drive shaft for the front, right hand wheel I think. looks like the oil seal has gone. I think specifcally it's called a tripod joint.

wirdy
25-03-2004, 09:27 PM
No Darren , That's the steering arm.

The 'leak' looks like residual fluid.

The steering rack doesn't hold a great quantity of oil. I'd suggest removing the existing ty-rap (on the rubber gaitor) and putting on another a bit tighter. (making sure it hasn't split first).

As long as oil has come out then it's possible that crap hasn't gone in yet. You don't want road dirt going into your steering rack!!

If the rubber gaitor has split, clean it carefully with something like carb cleaner or brake cleaner then glue it temporarily with superglue. Get the gaitor replaced as soon as possible- these racks are VERY EXPENSIVE but if all else fails they are the same as the V6-24, so there should be a few around at breakers yards.

Physician
26-03-2004, 03:31 AM
No Darren , That's the steering arm.

The 'leak' looks like residual fluid. ................

Thanks Wirdy ...... I'll deal with it promptly.

Richard

wirdy
26-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Keep an eye on your power steering fluid level.

If one of your rack seals has gone then you'll notice a drop in fluid level over a period of time. (If this fluid tracks along the rack then resealing the gaitor may hide this problem as it fills with fluid!)

I've had power steering racks on other cars that have leaked like this, for no apparent reason, then sealed themselves again. Sometimes a seal gets pinched and leaks a little fluid when the car is not running, as soon as you start up and the pump pressurises the system the seal springs back into place and the leak stops.

Try giving your steering quite a few full lock-to-lock inputs when you're next in a deserted car park and check for any more fluid loss. :)

Nick Mann
26-03-2004, 02:20 PM
I've had power steering racks on other cars that have leaked like this, for no apparent reason, then sealed themselves again. Sometimes a seal gets pinched and leaks a little fluid when the car is not running, as soon as you start up and the pump pressurises the system the seal springs back into place and the leak stops.

Absolutely.

Had a rover that did this. I finally worked out that if I moved the steering without the engine running the seal would unseal, as it were. Starting the engine always fixed the problem. Hope that is all it is!

Physician
26-03-2004, 03:47 PM
Keep an eye on your power steering fluid level.

If one of your rack seals has gone then you'll notice a drop in fluid level over a period of time. (If this fluid tracks along the rack then resealing the gaitor may hide this problem as it fills with fluid!)

Try giving your steering quite a few full lock-to-lock inputs when you're next in a deserted car park and check for any more fluid loss. :)

Thanks again Wirdy and Nick ......

Been to the garage this morning and they have cleaned off all oil/fluid and will now see how much is leaking over next two days. Have also got the full exploded view diagrams of the whole steering rack system and don't think it's too serious (YET) ...... will have it stripped in a couple of days time if it hasn't sealed again by itself. Parts aren't too bad except the full rack assembly at £2,185 :( :(