PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt change

Physician
25-03-2004, 08:13 PM
OK, this may be of interest to many people here. Pete will find this particularly interesting.

Pete's garage in Plymouth quoted me £414.00 to do a cam belt change, new plugs and AYC fluid changing .......... all inclusive.

I had my decat pipe fitted at my garage in Leicester today and whilst there Steve (garage owner) had a cursory look at what was required to do a cam belt change. He told me that he was more than happy and capable of doing the job, even if he had to make any special tools. He has done some Scooby's, Evo's and top end Mercedes which he says are a pain.

He asked me if I knew whether a special tool was required to 'lock' the engine when doing the change ........ anyone know ? He could see that there were two small holes that he 'thought' may be where a special 'C' spanner type tool would fit to lock the engine.

Anyway, I told him that Mitsubishi quoted a full 45,000 service at 7.5 hours. He said that he doubted that doing the cam belt and plugs alone would take that long - but if it did he quoted me a firm price of £225 inclusive BUT I had to buy the belt and plugs. So, roughly, £225 + Plugs at £80 'ish + belt at £75 'ish = £380 !

And ........... I asked him what oil he would use when he does my oil change and he told me that he only uses fully synthetic 10/40 or 5/30 on all motors. Not only does that tell me that he is a very sensible mechanic ( he showed me his large stock of Vauxhall fully synthetic oils) but the price to me is £13.99 per 5 litres !! :-D :-D :-D

After he has done the cam belt change I'll report back on the job but in meantime - any special tools ??? Thanks,

Richard

zedy1
25-03-2004, 08:45 PM
tell him its similar to the 2 ltr fto

Darren
25-03-2004, 09:11 PM
I presume that he must have a MUT II if he can change the AYC fluid then, since the pump be running when you drain it in order to get all the old fluid out. This can be done manually with the use of a syringe or something but the galant group site I read it on was keeping the procedure a secret.

Misubishi quoted me 150 for the job which is scandalous. I did find a site in china which makes a copy of the MUT II but I would have thought it would still be prohibitivly expensive.

Physician
25-03-2004, 09:21 PM
I presume that he must have a MUT II if he can change the AYC fluid then, since the pump be running when you drain it in order to get all the old fluid out. This can be done manually with the use of a syringe or something but the galant group site I read it on was keeping the procedure a secret.

Misubishi quoted me 150 for the job which is scandalous. I did find a site in china which makes a copy of the MUT II but I would have thought it would still be prohibitivly expensive.

No Darren ...... he isn't doing the AYC - only the cam belt and plugs. I'll go to Mitsubishi dealer for the AYC fluid. Will get a quote and report back tomorrow.

Richard

Spirit
25-03-2004, 10:41 PM
The local garage to me do the AYC change without the MUTII ;)

Darren
25-03-2004, 11:05 PM
Would be useful if you could get the details how it's done for our tutorials. I'd like to have a go myself at some point.

Spirit
25-03-2004, 11:14 PM
Sorry mate I am sworn to secrecy but let me tell you there is nothing special too it once you know how to do it. Personally would not recommend you do it yourself anyway.