PDA

View Full Version : big fluid leak no drive??????HELP

alps vr4
22-11-2008, 07:39 PM
just been out in my vr4 and lost all drive looked under the car and there was a big puddle of fluid and a trial of it behide me,would this be the
torque converter don't know to much about these or is there something else it could be any help would be good......

SGHOM
22-11-2008, 07:43 PM
torque converter seal most likely...... welcome to our world !! :happy: :thinking:

alps vr4
22-11-2008, 07:45 PM
is this a big job to do or should i give it a go????

Kieran
22-11-2008, 08:18 PM
is this a big job to do or should i give it a go????

The seal is but £10 - Problem is you need to split the gearbox to get at it.

Before you start pulling the gearbox apart, just check that the gearbox cooler lines that run out of the top of the gearbox to the bottom of the radiator haven't split.

Loosing drive isn't good. Normally they go into 'Limp' mode and stick in 3rd. That yours has stopped all together isn't a good sign! /help.

richy rich
22-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Sounds like T/C seal get some pics up and I can tell you for sure.

£20 for membership will get my write up on how to do it.

It is a big job.

Where are you in the uk maybe you live close to someone that can help.

alps vr4
22-11-2008, 08:30 PM
odear odear have to have a look tomorrow surpose it best it happen know as i'm planing a trip to the alpes in jan wouldn't want this in the snow,I think i still had a bit of drive but it seemed to rev up alot to get it to move wasn't sure if this would damage it with the amount of fulid which came out so i stopped and got a tow back should i check to see if it drives??or could this do more harm??

alps vr4
22-11-2008, 08:34 PM
i'm near uxbridge in middlesex if its a big job i'll have to get someone else to do it got someone who fitted a couple of turbo to my bros skyline dirt cheap as a favour so maybe try him

Ryan
22-11-2008, 08:39 PM
odear odear have to have a look tomorrow surpose it best it happen know as i'm planing a trip to the alpes in jan wouldn't want this in the snow,I think i still had a bit of drive but it seemed to rev up alot to get it to move wasn't sure if this would damage it with the amount of fulid which came out so i stopped and got a tow back should i check to see if it drives??or could this do more harm??

Sounds like it doesn't have enough ATF in the trans. to get purchase. I had the same problem last year and drove it around for a good few months in that condition without ever being left at the roadside.

That's not saying I recommend driving it like that, it'd pay to get it checked out I imagine.

peter thomson
22-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Three quarters of the way through the TC seal replacement at the moment .The seal is £13.85 from the dealer. part number is MR967673.
Our seal was half out of it's seat and only needed a little push to fall out.

TAR
22-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Sorry to hear of your problem.

Its a gearbox out job to replace the seal. /Grrr

You mentioned that you towed the car, this is a big NO NO, it MUST be trailered as it can damage the transmission being as its a 4 wheel drive.

:happy:

Subaru ETA
23-11-2008, 08:09 AM
since it just suddenly lost drive could it be that it has stripped the torque converter splins and taken the seal with it?

alps vr4
23-11-2008, 10:25 AM
didn't realize it could do damage towing?only towed it for less than a mile and had the engine running, but my bro said it was hard to tow hope i havn't done to much damage if i could kick myself i would.... hard!!!!!!

alps vr4
23-11-2008, 02:45 PM
just had a look a i think i may have found the problem looks like the gearbox cooler lines which kieran mentioned nice one!!!what sort of atf should i use and would i fill it up through where the dipstick goes going to give it a go on wensday as i'm of work also got the pipe of and its well gone so must be the problem!!!!!!!

peter thomson
23-11-2008, 08:11 PM
You bneed either Amsoil ATF or Mitsi SPIII. Yes you fill it at the dipstick. I hope this is any easy repair with just a refill

alps vr4
23-11-2008, 08:18 PM
yeah i'm hopeing it will be to,how much atf will i be needing cheers for the help

peter thomson
23-11-2008, 08:21 PM
yeah i'm hopeing it will be to,how much atf will i be needing cheers for the help

It holds between 10 and 12 litres for a full flush. Depends on how much is still there

alps vr4
23-11-2008, 08:30 PM
that seems a heck of a lot???

peter thomson
23-11-2008, 08:32 PM
It's a big gearbox .We did a full flush today and we used 12 litres

alps vr4
23-11-2008, 08:42 PM
wheres a good place to get it from and what sort of money should i be paying??

peter thomson
23-11-2008, 08:47 PM
From here

http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/

If you join the club as a full member you also get a 15% discount .Delivery is only 1 or 2 days usually or you can get the SPIII from the dealer

alps vr4
23-11-2008, 09:19 PM
think i'll get a couple of small bottles from stealer just to make sure its not still leaking cheers dude just have to wait till wensday to see

Kieran
23-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Make sure the dealer supplies you with SP-III atf and not Dexron III. As an example, Mitsubishi Nottingham used to use Dexron III. This is NOT correct and it will cause further issues. :scholar:

alps vr4
23-11-2008, 10:27 PM
any idea where i can get the gearbox cooler lines from looked on camskills and couldn't find or is there another kind of pipe/hose i could use??????could i use brake hose??

Kieran
23-11-2008, 10:29 PM
any idea where i can get the gearbox cooler lines from looked on camskills and couldn't find or is there another kind of pipe/hose i could use??????

If you drop an email to Mike at camskill what he'll normally do is send you back a picture of the all the bits in that area. You then tell him which ones you need (they're all numbered) and he can get cracking.

Unless it's just one of the flexible rubber hoses that has broken - In which case standard 7.6mm reinforced fuel injection hose works fine. I've used it a time or two when hoses that haven't moved in 10 years have decided to split!

alps vr4
23-11-2008, 10:38 PM
yeah thats the bugger thats split nice one!!

Big Ian
23-11-2008, 11:43 PM
same as what happened to my ole Super VR4 .. i had mine moved on a flat-bed pick up though... just hope you've no damage caused by towing it?

the hose on the right hand side of the gearbox (as you look from above) it goes under the box, that was the one that split on mine, also be prepared to pay out for thee only fluid that anyone will recommend for auto-boxes, Amsoil is the best, my gearbox was far smoother once it was all sorted .. well worth paying the £20 members fee as once your a member you will save more than £20 with the club discount for the fluid
good luck ;)

alps vr4
24-11-2008, 06:24 PM
had to order of ebay as don't have a credit/debt card only £60 for 4L ONLY!!!!!
going to have to get a card sorted so i can become a fully fleged member!!!!

Big Ian
24-11-2008, 10:06 PM

are you going to mix new fluid with the older fluid that may still be in the gearbox :speechles ? i think the Auto-box hold's about 13ltrs

Subaru ETA
25-11-2008, 10:02 AM
as for the towing - it should be ok because you had it running. the problem with towing autos is that the oil pump runs off the same shaft as the torque converter. if the engine isnt running the pump doesnt turn and no oil gets pumped around

alps vr4
25-11-2008, 05:58 PM
don't think theres much ATF left in their should be alright to mix though shouldn't it??? probly will change filter if i can get one tomorrow just want to make sure it is just the pipe i'll be changing is all thats wrong, cheers for letting me know that towing it with the engine runing was the right thing to do as it's been in the back of my mind since!!!!!will be changing filter as allparts sell erm!!!!!

Ryan
25-11-2008, 11:59 PM
as for the towing - it should be ok because you had it running. the problem with towing autos is that the oil pump runs off the same shaft as the torque converter. if the engine isnt running the pump doesnt turn and no oil gets pumped around

So does that mean you can't tow it (off) even when in neutral?

amsoil
26-11-2008, 03:55 AM

Could have called me and I would have delivered it myself; only down the road in Heston and I drive to the warehouse in Oxford (M40 ) each day. Cash cheques Pay Pal an attractive woman etc all work for me!
Maybe next time.

alps vr4
26-11-2008, 09:45 AM
gutted if i new i could get from oxford or heston i could be filling her up now would think i'll need more prob. 8L's so i'll give you a call!!!

amsoil
26-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Seriously , seriously think about paying the £20 for club membership. The knowledge base is vast and impressive. You will quickly find that not doing so is a great false economy as very very few people (experts?) know the ins and outs of these great cars

shaun1978
26-11-2008, 01:16 PM
surely he wouldnt need to actually do a flush as hes more than likely pumped all the old fluid out?

alps vr4
27-11-2008, 05:30 PM
where abouts is the sump plug for the gearbox,is there one???
took the plunge!!!now a member!!!

Kieran
27-11-2008, 05:55 PM
where abouts is the sump plug for the gearbox,is there one???
took the plunge!!!now a member!!!

Welcome as a full member!

This should be all you need! :afro:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10475

alps vr4
27-11-2008, 06:31 PM
nice one!! surpose i could have found that myself

alps vr4
28-11-2008, 06:34 PM
took out sump plug and probley got about 1L out thinking of changing all the other bits of hose before i put in new atf just incase theres another one ready to split!!!

Kieran
28-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Well if there was still fluid in the sump that's a start - Should mean that the valve bodies, T/C and the gearbox innards didn't run dry.

Yeah, might well be worth doing the other hoses on the gearbox cooler circuit, if just to keep sod's law at bay!

alps vr4
29-11-2008, 04:32 PM
horray!!!!!!changed hoses,filled up with amsoil car back on road no leaking, no problems at all(at the moment)..thank you all very much turned into an easy job(first time for everything!!)thank you to amsoil for personal delivery!!!!getting it serviced this week belts changed e.t.c till then going to take it nice and easy!!!
:happy: :iloveyou: /rally

peter thomson
29-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Great stuff ,that's good to hear and very lucky

Big Ian
29-11-2008, 05:02 PM
nice one ;)

Kieran
29-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Yay! Now go and enjoy! :D

amsoil
29-11-2008, 10:19 PM
horray!!!!!!changed hoses,filled up with amsoil car back on road no leaking, no problems at all(at the moment)..thank you all very much turned into an easy job(first time for everything!!)thank you to amsoil for personal delivery!!!!getting it serviced this week belts changed e.t.c till then going to take it nice and easy!!!
:happy: :iloveyou: /rally

Did you reset the ECU? The box will 'learn' your driving style and not least learn to change properly with the new Amsoil ATF

alps vr4
29-11-2008, 10:40 PM
yeah i had the battery disconnected for some time i think thats how you reset the ECU isn't it?didn't have any stalling or rough driveing as others have encounted when reseting the ECU

peter thomson
29-11-2008, 10:44 PM
yeah i had the battery disconnected for some time i think thats how you reset the ECU isn't it?didn't have any stalling or rough driveing as others have encounted when reseting the ECU

Yes that's right and I haven't had any problems either after disconnecting the battery

MIUMIU
19-12-2008, 01:03 PM
i have a similar problem before
box fluid run low and stuck at 2nd, drive home, top it up and and now it can change gear now, but now seems the revs go up abit more and delay in change gear, also much more obvious when engaging in gear, used to be very smooth...

will reset the ecu or disconnect the battery help to improve this? or do i need a full auto flush

Kieran
19-12-2008, 01:16 PM
You could try that. It depends just how low the box went... You could find that it's buggered the clutch packs (worst case).. Try the ECU reset first. If that doesn't work, inspect the condition of the fluid in the gearbox. If despite topping it up it looks burned or contaminated, then it might be worth a flush - BUT- seeing as there's a question mark over the box, I would initially just flush with some cheap Dexron III - This isn't the correct fluid and shouldn't be used long term, however it saves spending a fortune on the correct fluid only to find that the gearbox IS knackered. If after filling with Dex-III it seems okay, then flush that out and fill with the proper stuff.

Turbo_Steve
19-12-2008, 06:20 PM
ooOOooh! Controversial advice there? :D
And riddled with common sense: what a great way to save pennies!