PDA

View Full Version : Cold Running

Polabear
26-03-2004, 05:49 PM
Hi Guys
I am contemplating fitting an HKS Super Powerflow induction kit, but have been warned to be careful regarding the possibility of the smooth cold running of tha car going to rats*@+t after fitting it, does anyone have any experience of this? :headsc: or is the std 24-V6 capable of handling this without any problems, cheers

Pola.

Brind
26-03-2004, 05:57 PM
I have one on a VR-4, but that is probably no baring on what yours will do.

Mine doesn't have any problems cold weather or warm weather.

Bolt it on, if it doesn't work, remove the power from the car and wait a minute or so to ensure ECU etc has reset and bung the power back on and start your engine, if there is any problems the ECU will regulate itself to suit and then it will run fine.... in theory!

You MUST make sure it is getting some kind of cold air feed!! or you will be getting the sweet sound but no power gains and probably lose power.

Polabear
26-03-2004, 06:48 PM
So I can take it that the induction needs to be ducted outside the engine bay Brind ? as opposed to the filter element inside the bay ?

Pola.

Brind
26-03-2004, 07:33 PM
Not necessarily fully ducted as you can't with that type of induction system as it is meant to be an open type.
The general idea of those is to place them where a free flow of air will gather around it, such as near an open section near a wheel arch or close as poss to the front of the car.
Unfortunately with the design of the Galant it isn't really possible to place it in any of the places without heavy modification.
Best bet if you want that filter is to either use the original funnel which will come away from your original airbox and leave that directied towards the HKS, it has been noted that the funnel isn't all that great anyway so supplying it with a cold feed pipe from elsewhere is the best option.

The HKS comes with a lot of downsides really but it does look good and sound great!.
If you just want the performance go for better filter and place it into your original airbox, you won't gain any sound though.. if you were hoping you would anyway?

Polabear
27-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the info Brind, I know exactly what you mean regarding the available space in and around the engine bay, what I am looking for ultimately is improved airflow into the engine, and together with the custom built decatted freeflow exhaust system that is being fitted, these two combined should give me better fuel figures, and if a perfomance improvement is gained on the way, all the better.

The original idea was just to fit a K&N panel filter but as we all know the stock airbox and intake is garbage, cheers.

Pola