PDA

View Full Version : Major Service

scc
29-11-2008, 01:03 PM
My car is going in for a cambelt change service, and I'm supplying the parts.
What should I change whilst I'm there?

Here is my current list:

Oilfilter MZ690115
Timing Belt XD319266
Plugs PFR6G-11
Tensioners MD366344
Water Pump MD302010

Cheers,
scc

Kieran
29-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Cambelt Idler pulley.

On tensioners - I'd personally recommend changing both the tensioner pulley and also the hydraulic tensioning arm that braces the tensioner pulley against the cambelt. Normally they're still within specification at cambelt change time, but it's good peace of mind knowing that you've got a new one, rather than a used one in there for the next 5 years & 54000 miles.

Unless they've been changed recently, it's probably worth dropping on a new set of accessory belts too.

scc
29-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Cambelt Idler pulley.

On tensioners - I'd personally recommend changing both the tensioner pulley and also the hydraulic tensioning arm that braces the tensioner pulley against the cambelt. Normally they're still within specification at cambelt change time, but it's good peace of mind knowing that you've got a new one, rather than a used one in there for the next 5 years & 54000 miles.

Unless they've been changed recently, it's probably worth dropping on a new set of accessory belts too.

I'm going to wait until next week to order everything under the sun of parts including sensors etc. because of the VAT drop :D

Thanks!

scc

Nick Mann
29-11-2008, 07:27 PM
The hydraulic tensioner is a head scratcher for me. It is £100. I have heard of water pumps failing, but not a hydraulic tensioner.

I think I would have to give the advice to change it, as Kieran says, for peace of mind. If mine looked okay though, then I wouldn't bother.