PDA

View Full Version : Boost controller help

wirdy
27-03-2004, 12:55 PM
HELP

Whilst I await BDA getting back to me, does anyone have a underbonnet piccy of where their boost controller fits into the turbo piping?

Yep, I've got a copy of the schematic boost piping diagram, but this doesn't relate directly to the underebonnet view. Spent an hour yesterday tracing pipes and tubes all over the engine bay and still couldn't figure it out :$ :$

BTW it's a manual valve, but the physical install is in the same position as the electronic controlled versions.

Whilst I'm on the subject.....my knowledge is a bit sketchy on this....what makes a dump valve 'dump'? can you, or do you, need to adjust it when you fit a boost controller and up the boost? or is this taken care of by the dump valve being downline of the boost controller anyway?

Confused, help please :) :)

Andre
28-03-2004, 03:49 AM
jus follow this diagram it is so easy . all u have to do is remove the flex part of the intake hose from the intercooler to the intake manifold, then look down by the standard fuel pressure regulator side and folllow the lines from the turbos it is a very small space that u got to work in . i had dropped a 10mm sockket in the engine bay while trying to put on the boost controller and i have not found it up to now .jus follow the diagram below.

Andre
28-03-2004, 04:04 AM
this diagram of my engine bay might help a little bit it is no to detailed

Mante
28-03-2004, 12:35 PM
I have the manual VBC installed now, I'll try to go out and take a pic of everything sometime today

wirdy
29-03-2004, 10:56 PM
.......it is a very small space that u got to work in .......

You weren't wrong there!! :sick:

Thanks for the info guys, I re-checked the real plumbing versus the diagram today, took the plunge and cut some rubber. :undecided

After 45 mins of fiddling (it was like keyhole surgery) the boost controller was fitted. I dread having to put it back to standard again whenever I sell the car. :-D

Suffice to say, it does exactly what it should do. According to my Blitz gauge (before fitting the valve) I was only boosting to a max of 0.68 bar (overboost?!*!) and then holding 0.61 bar. Now it's max 1.02 bar and holding 0.97 bar steady. I can definitely feel the difference and although this is an agricultural way of upping the boost- it works- and why spend ££'s on the electronic version when you don't want to have variable boost in different gears etc. :p

I can control my boost by modulating the pressure applied to the accelerator pedal using my right foot! :D

I'm probably getting a reputation now, for doing things on the cheap, but this is just about the best £17 I've spent on the VR4.

Anyone else wanting to buy one of these DIY boost controllers, I got my info from HERE (http://www.mardibloke.co.uk/Cars/Lotus_Elan_M100/Upgrades/Rob-C_Boost_Controller/rob-c_boost_controller.html)

The pneumatics Co. is actually called Duncan Rogers Engineering Ltd. The valve came in two days and the order codes were spot on. ENJOY!! ;)

Andre
30-03-2004, 03:18 PM
Since u up the boost the car is going to need more fuel . You must either put on a fuel pressure regulator as i did or put on an Apexi AFC. Either one of these devices would allow u to send more fuel to the car as it is needed . if u look on the engine pick that i showed u , look where the specifications plate is and u would see part of my fuel pressure regulator. If u don't do this the car would be starving for fuel , which in result would melt pistons and u would not be getting max power. the fun part of it u can send a good set of fuel to the engine and the car would bt brething fire through the exhaust like a competion drag car.

Mante
30-03-2004, 03:26 PM
You must either put on a fuel pressure regulator as i did or put on an Apexi AFC.

Thank you for reminding me!! What psi did you set on the FPR? I'll end up having it dyno tuned when I get one.

valmes
30-03-2004, 05:20 PM
You don't really need anything else as long as you keep your boost under 1 bar.
Your standart ECU has all the values for under 1 bar of boost. It calculates the amount of needed fuel according to the MAF sensor... there is no "boost" sensor...

wirdy
30-03-2004, 06:58 PM
You don't really need anything else as long as you keep your boost under 1 bar.
Your standart ECU has all the values for under 1 bar of boost. It calculates the amount of needed fuel according to the MAF sensor... there is no "boost" sensor...

That's why I've adjusted my controller to 0.97 bar, the +0.05 overboost is for a fraction of a second and I don't think will do any harm. :)

wirdy
30-03-2004, 07:01 PM
.......and the car would bt brething fire through the exhaust like a competion drag car.

Thanks Andre, ......I have this scenario covered in another way.....(see Flamer)!! :-D

valmes
31-03-2004, 03:02 AM
Keep it under 0,9... just to stay on the safe side...
With 0,97, spikes can go well over 1 bar…
and that’s not good for your engine on standard ECU!

Andre
31-03-2004, 04:28 AM
I am running 15 pounds of boost and my Ecu would not send enough fuel so i put on a fuel pressure regulator and it works like a dream . I have my FPR set to 60psi. I love it and it is more than safe. The car accelerates like a front wheel drive and breaths fire from 5500rpm up the car moves like the wind . next thing i need is a speed cut defencer because the car gets to 180 to quick now, when i hit 180 de fun dun :undecided :(

wirdy
31-03-2004, 11:00 AM
I am running 15 pounds of boost and my Ecu would not send enough fuel :(

Thanks.

A quick question..how did you know this, by feel or on a rolling road?

15-PSI is near as damn it 1-bar and this concerns me slightly if the standard fuel pressure can't cope.

Will throttle back the boost to max 0.9 bar until I've gained enough empirical data. :)

Nick Mann
31-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Andre, what octane rating does you fuel have? In the UK most of us run at 97ron, with a few on 95. Is there any difference and would this make a difference to the amount of fuel needed at the same boost?

Andre
02-04-2004, 05:21 PM
I am runnign on 97 octane fuel , first i ran the car on the road and i realised that it wasn't getting the fuel , then i tested with a Gtech pro i realised it was true. I the resorted to getting a dynostic test and it was true. I then got the car dyno tuned with the mods and the car is putting out 423.6 hp and i loving it .

enigma
02-04-2004, 06:25 PM
423.6 wow!

We need some pics and details of your mods!! ;)

Mante
09-04-2004, 12:39 AM
423.6 wow!

We need some pics and details of your mods!! ;)

Yea Thats what I have been waiting for since he posted......

Andre
09-04-2004, 07:44 PM
Sorry i took so long fellas, i check those numbers wid my mechanic again and it is not 423.6 that is his car not mine, he said mine is 327.4. to be sure i would test it myself some day this week and get back to you all wid de pics , cuz i did not take pics last time .

SGHOM
09-04-2004, 07:59 PM
PHEW !!! :rolleyes5 I thought I'd lost the title of the most powerful VR4 !!! [ currently, officially !! ] :-D :-D 333 BHP, & 340 lb ft torque !!
I'm sure BDA's would be more powerful, but slight piston prob, prevents that at the moment !!

borgan
09-04-2004, 10:19 PM
PHEW !!! I thought I'd lost the title of the most powerful VR4 !!!

I didn't think yours was. Doesn't FTOLTD have 400+ hp?

Louis
05-07-2004, 11:55 PM
I am runnign on 97 octane fuel , first i ran the car on the road and i realised that it wasn't getting the fuel , then i tested with a Gtech pro i realised it was true. I the resorted to getting a dynostic test and it was true. I then got the car dyno tuned with the mods and the car is putting out 423.6 hp and i loving it .

Hi Andre,
I like the sound of that figure 423.6, mmmmmm, could you please tell me what modifications you have made to your car to get this?, cheers Louis :D

valmes
06-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Change your fuel pump if you are going to "up the boost"... the stock one is not capable of supplying enought fuel at higher RPM on boost as low as 0,9 (it has an effect of "lean fuel curve" at the top).

http://www.stealth316.com

They have some good info on fuel pump upgrade.

enigma
06-07-2004, 01:57 PM
Remeber guys upping the boost can be very detrimental to your engines health. I recommend that you dont fiddle unless you know what you are doing. Seeing the remains of Richies engine is a real eye opener! :rolleyes5

See here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4366&page=1&pp=15)

shooter
06-07-2004, 08:48 PM
What boost was he running when the engine let go?

Cheers
Shooter

Spirit
06-07-2004, 09:25 PM
It was the cambelt tensioner that let go :(

enigma
06-07-2004, 09:57 PM
It was the cambelt tensioner that let go :(

It was most definately boost related Pete!

Spirit
06-07-2004, 10:01 PM
It was most definately boost related Pete!

Just going by what AP said :lipsrseal

pieboy
27-08-2004, 01:04 AM
Hey,

Any reason why I wouldn't be able to see the pics at the top of this post? I'm just about to instal an MBC in my Legnum and those pics sound like they'd be handy.

thanks guys
q

Kyoshu
27-08-2004, 05:05 AM
Yeah, same here. Be good to see those pics as I'm planning to install one this weekend too.

zentac
27-08-2004, 06:45 AM
Playing with boost is fun ;)