PDA

View Full Version : faded window frames

Robotnik123
07-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Is there any way to shine up window frames? I am meaning the outside metal frame surround things in the doors. These are not painted and look decidedly faded on my car.

MPBVr4
07-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Mine looked better after polishing with Autoglym ERP. Other peeps have resprayed with a "satin black"

The Vee
07-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Did mine with a very light T cut type stuff and then polish. Brings 'em up good but doesn't last that long. Just polish again when they start to fade. Have also used some of those back to black type things which again ok for a while

miller
07-12-2008, 04:04 PM
yeah mine are faded though only on the offside which is weird!

HMG1K
07-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Drop martin_y on here a PM - he's your man!

He recommended Ultimoil from Holts - it's not a available in the UK but is in South Africa and may even be available in your part of the world.

I used it on my black window frames and they are still shining like new 3 months after I washed and used Ultimoil.

It can be used on just about anything black and anything plastic/vinyl. You can also use it tyres, roof rails, dash, (it's a bit oily so dont spray on the clear plastic in front of the gauges or on the steering wheel where you grip). Any overspray comes off with window cleaner.

martin_y
07-12-2008, 05:25 PM
...mmm I can send for £4 delivered in UK, but I think the postage to NZ would be a tad expensive !

bradc
07-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Mine haven't discoloured much but on the drivers one in particular there are lots of darker spots from where my fingers have been when shutting the door. I think I'll just paint them as I don't really see polishing them a long term solution.

miller
07-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Has anyont tried peanut butter yet?

Davezj
08-12-2008, 01:55 PM
make sure it is smooth, but it is supposed to work.

pitslayer
08-12-2008, 04:58 PM
peanut butter is more for removing polish off trim miller

mine are going white for some reason, might just satin black them with a rattle can, then polish them up

AncientOfMu
08-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Ive looked into this extensivly.

the only real cure is to get them resprayed.

Every other option is only temporary.

They suffer from oxidisation which causes them to fade. Then people try to polish them which by its very nature reduces the thickness of the paint and makes the problem worse.

Permanant cure.

Re-spray.

Anything (peanut Butter) included with oils in it will make something temporarily look darker.

But it is VERY temporary.

ianturbo
10-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Is there any way to shine up window frames? I am meaning the outside metal frame surround things in the doors. These are not painted and look decidedly faded on my car.
See you lot braggin about the SUN fading your paintwork !!!/Brolly /Brolly /Brolly
ian
P.S have you tried baby oil on them ??? it works on mi owd capri ones !