PDA

View Full Version : (Soon to be) VR4 owner

Jimbo
28-03-2004, 06:59 PM
Hi folks,

well I did it, my bank manager may be less than impressed, but I'm just about ready to join the VR4 community. I've been a Galant fan for 4 years now, ever since I drove my mate's down in Oz, and was totally smitten by the utterly gorgeous look of the car. Soon after I I bought my trusty V6 24 and it's served me very well for many years now, but my less-than-secret desire was always to get a VR4, and now I have - the evil thing simply just seduced me from the moment I saw it! I'll be picking it up (it's a 2000 Type-S saloon) later in the week....mucho-sleepless nights expected till then!

Big, big thanks to everybody here - the site's been incredibly helpful to this newbie. I've been looking over a lot of the old posts and articles and it's answered a lot of my questions, but since I've been looking for an insurance policy I've got another question - what the hell is a VR5?

Only a few of these insurance providers seem to identify the car. Most foolishly think it's a grey import (cue one row on the phone with axa...!), but most of the rest identify any post-99 as the VR5. Any clues? I've tried ringing a couple of these providers, but they haven't got a clue what car it is - they just read out what's on their database. Should I just avoid this sites for fear of not insuring my car correctly?

Best quote I've got so far is Tesco, and they identify it fine (except they tag it as "{IMPORT}", but never mind).

Cheers all,
Jimbo

Kieran
28-03-2004, 07:13 PM
:D

Welcome to club VR-4 and I'm glad you've found the site useful.

No idea about insurance.... I think others may be better placed to help you though! :)

Hope you enjoy your new toy when you get it! :-b

Spirit
28-03-2004, 07:17 PM
No idea what a VR5 is mate !

Glad you have got your hands on one mate, and can imagine your excitment :-D

Is yours a Ralliart one then and not an import ?

Have you tried Direct Line, Adrian Flux etc ?

Nick VR4
28-03-2004, 07:21 PM
Welcome to the forum mate
I hope you are going to be a fully paid up member ;)

Do a search for Insurance there are plenty of posts dealing with this issue
I was with Tesco's at £1400+ now with Pace Ward at £635 depending on age etc its worth phoning around
If they ask what a VR4 is hang up and try another one

Feel free to ask questions but please use the search area first

Cheers and welcome again

Nick Mann
28-03-2004, 07:29 PM
Welcome to the club!

All VR4's are considered imports - even the cars supplied by ralliart. You'll still have lots of japanese symbols and stickers, and your fog light and mph speedo are not factory fitted.

I am with Direct Line at the mo - same as tescos I think. Do shop around and please take Nicks advice on searching the site - nice to see you have been looking already.

Most important of all - ENJOY YOUR NEW CAR!!!!!!! :-D

Jimbo
28-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Thanks guys, sorry :$ ....I didn't twig that they really were classed as imports. Mine was a Ralliart supplied one originally, but I can understand now why they (insurers) still class it as imported.

I've done the searches on articles, so I've tried the suggested ones like Adrian Flux and Pace Ward and they're far better than most of ones that I'd already looked at, but Tescos are looking the best right about now (ever so slightly cheaper than Direct Line) at £900, and even though I'm laughing at myself saying this, that seems "pretty reasonable" :laugh:

Thanks for the welcome, I've seen enough here at this site to know this is well worth sticking around for - signing up for membership as we speak....

Nick Mann
28-03-2004, 08:44 PM
signing up for membership as we speak....

Outstanding!!

Welcome aboard.

KiwiTT
28-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Welcome aboard. You will not regret your membership.

Also, I believe the VR5 is a Golf/Passat model.

Jimbo
28-03-2004, 10:09 PM
Hmmm....pdf file doesn't want to download, just seems to lock up. Dammit, knew I should have got broadband. No worries, I'll try it at work tomorrow...

84 hours to go before I'm let loose... :-b

(and that's one hour less thanks to BST - god bless ya, never thought I'd be happy losing an hour of my sunday!!)

Jimbo
28-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Hi KiwiTT - VW VR5, yeah, that was my exact responce to one insurance company when I rang them! No bother - off the shelf supermarket insurance here I come.....

KiwiTT
28-03-2004, 10:21 PM
Hi KiwiTT - VW VR5, yeah, that was my exact responce to one insurance company when I rang them! No bother - off the shelf supermarket insurance here I come.....

My Insurance compay did not want to know what model Galant I had, only how much it is insured for. :D

Jimbo
30-03-2004, 10:00 PM
Might be tomorrow, might be thursday. All depends on Mr Tesco - "please send me my insurance docs, PLEASE!". The car needs taxing before I car cart it away...everything else is ready :) . I've even given my V6-24 it's goodbye cruise :$

Nick Mann
30-03-2004, 10:03 PM
Good Luck!

Hope you get to enjoy it tomorrow. Iwas a nightmare with mine - I wanted it on the saturday to go to santa pod on the sunday (also my birthday). Several times it nearly didn't happen! Hope all goes well. (Come on Mr. Tescos!!)

SGHOM
30-03-2004, 10:08 PM
where abouts are you based Jimbo ??? were having our next meet on May 9th in north Derbyshire !! could you make it ?? you'd be more than welcome, that is...... If you've wiped the grin off your face by then !!! :-D :-D :-b

Jimbo
30-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Thanks Nick....just done some more praying (with my 2000 Galant brochure, of course :) ), might do the trick!

Nice to meet you to Interlec, the meet sounds good - I've just been looking at details. I'm just up north from you in Stoke-on-Trent where I've been for 3 years or so. Not quite where I'd call home, but nice enough none the less.

I've updated my details to give you a better idea of myself - not too sure about saying I've got the VR4 till I'm sat in it, but's it close now!

nick-f1
01-04-2004, 06:19 PM
Jimbo For vr4 insurance give give Lifesure a ring on 01480 474604 they do really good rates for these cars got mine for £400 full everything! Were half tescos quote for me.

cheers
Nick