PDA

View Full Version : Modified VR-4s

Lee
27-05-2003, 09:45 PM
:Ponder: Anyone had a rolling road with mods, what gains are to be had.
I fancy having the ECU re-mapped and would like to know what sort of BHP you can get and at what cost.

Cheers

Brind
27-05-2003, 10:38 PM
I'd like to know how much power the VR-4 has after the boost has been wound up?

I only have a filter and exhaust, I haven't looked into having a rolling road test done as I doubt the power has increased all that much..

BraindG
28-05-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Brind
I'd like to know how much power the VR-4 has after the boost has been wound up?

Mines at 13psi.. going on rolling road to get remapped a month today.. INSERT INTO post VALUES (going on holiday in a couple weeks.. jsut when guy thats gonna remap it gets back from his :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( )

will post my results then..

Lee
28-05-2003, 09:54 AM
Is it worth getting an exhaust, are there any great improvements when removing cats and does it sound any better

BraindG
28-05-2003, 09:57 AM
oh yes! ive had my super drager since december, and its only jsut starting to sound nice.. takes ages :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

which reminds me... i was going to record the sounds for my dump and exhaust for someone.. will do that tonight.. and put it up on the site..

pjjohnson
30-05-2003, 09:09 AM
The real gains with upped boost are in the mid range, with big increases in torque. the peak power should go up as well. Rollings roads are not healthy things for cars, even more so with automatics. Plus with turbo cars the problems are worse with the need to feed cool air through the intercooler.

Its on the road that counts, and subjectively the car is much quicker with upped boost. The HKS EVC IV allows you to change boost settings whilst you are moving - when going from 0.8 bar to 1.0 then to 1.2 each time you can feel the car increase in acceleration, I wouldn't describe it as a kick in the back but you can feel it.

I've recently bought a performance meter, supposed to be accurate to 1%, it does 0-60 INSERT INTO post VALUES ( any speed to any speed in fact); quarter mile times, bhp at wheels, all sorts of things. I'm playing with at the moment. The car is not 100% fit at the moment but will soon have a new intercooler and the ECU remapped with a unichip so when I had the work done and I'm more confident the the figures I get out of the performance meter are correct I'll post them.

So far the best I've got INSERT INTO post VALUES ( average of two runs); without a really violent start and in auto mode are:-

On standard boost INSERT INTO post VALUES ( i.e. with the boost controller switched off, I've no idea what boost it actually was producing ). The 2nd to 3rd gear change occurs occurs around 60

0-30 2.4 secs
0-60 6.8
0-80 11.4

On low boost INSERT INTO post VALUES ( 0.8 bar)

0-30 2.0
0-60 5.7
0-80 9.5

If I ever bought another standard VR4 it would be a manual and the first thing I would do is improve its breathing and up the boost.

-LegnumVR4-
03-06-2003, 10:54 AM
Can you test your 1/4 times? I would like to compare.

Cheers,

Rhys

pjjohnson
09-06-2003, 11:32 AM
It is possible - will do it when its all fixed up. What do you get ?

-LegnumVR4-
09-06-2003, 08:03 PM
14.4 1/4 at 94mph.

I'm running 0.9 bar boost but thats with a air regulator valve, not as good as a EBC.

Brind
09-06-2003, 08:12 PM
How much bhp do you have -LegnumVR4-?

-LegnumVR4-
09-06-2003, 08:23 PM
Haven't tested it but estimate about 320bhp. With the newer ECU and an EBC i should get the time down in the 13's. Plus i don't reduce any weight and run under half a tank of gas. The Legnums wieght the most of the VR-4 range, 1570kg from factory. Glaants are 1490kg.

FTOLTD
24-06-2003, 05:54 PM
i have put the 6A13 engine into a FTO and am getting 402 Hp at the front wheels.

Using a garrett GT30 turbo and full 3 inch exhaust with after market computer running at 18 Lb boost custom manifolds and intercooler. but no internals yet and running standard injectors but have walbro feul pump and malpassi regulator injectors are maxing out and will upgrade them soon.

here are some pics, still have to post the lastest dyno graph, but should be up in the next few days

http://photos.yahoo.com/dannyboyau

EdmundVR4
25-06-2003, 02:07 AM
Fantastic ! When are you going to do some 1/4 mile times ? Let us know. How does the car handle with that larger engine in there ? So that 6A13T is quite a beast, aye ?
Well done, where are you from ?
Ed

FTOLTD
05-07-2003, 03:30 PM
well currently trying to source a twin or triple plate clutch the 4 puck ceramic clutch and uprated pressure plate are not holding once they get to approx 500 FT Lb torque

Can any one help me with finding a twin or triple plate clutch

Also trying to find bigger injectors at least 660cc

Handles great and i am from australia will be taking it down the track once the drive line has been strengthened

Stage one is complete except already need a new clutch

If anyone knows where to get high performance parts for this engine please let me know

zentac
07-07-2003, 02:08 PM
If your still running the FTO LSD gearbox then Camskill (http://www.camskill.co.uk) do an uprated clutch.

FTOLTD
07-07-2003, 03:55 PM
Hi Richard

Really want to find a twin or triple, the one camskill sell is the almost the same as my current one.

Hows the conversion coming along.

Wait till you feel the differance it is great

zentac
07-07-2003, 08:34 PM
Just dropped it off with Nick Rountree today to sort the wiring out and a few other little bits, doesnt look like it will be ready for JAE, but I can still hope!

Also Just this min received my HKS SQV, it looks nice and shiny

calum
07-07-2003, 08:37 PM
No idea really, but could be the same as the evos, the GTO INSERT INTO post VALUES (3000GT) or the eclipse?

http://www.z1auto.com/10.02/Mitsu/driveline/ExedyClutchesFly.html

http://www.turboimports.com/clutches---drivetrain-mitsubishi-3000gt-mitsubishi-eclipse.html

This is a handy page for cross referencing
http://www.coximport.com/act/mitsubishi.html

Calum