PDA

View Full Version : more gearbox problems !

SGHOM
30-03-2004, 09:04 PM
My box is playing up again !! I noticed it at the rolling rd day on sunday, It was hesitant, going into 5th gear, but still went ahead with the power run.
As all who were there noticed the smoke from underneath the car, the discussion was is it the diff ?? is it the exhaust ?? The car is put under that much stress at these events, It was hardly suprising it was smoking !! [be careful Pete !! ]
Checked the oil level when I got back, & It had gone down, but not by a significant amount. BUT !! just checked again & It's dry as a bone !! AND...... the tell tail smeer of ATF on the rear screen again. :veryangry
So I've taken the car up to the petrol station, where its light, & had a good look under the car, praying that it was the sump leaking again. [ if it was, then the dealer can fix it at their own expense !! ] but that was also dry :wall:
The leak is coming from the gearbox itself now !! probably the seal between the box & the engine, but not easy to tell with all the ATF under the car.
Ah well.............. yet more expense !! :( :(

Nick Mann
30-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Sorry to hear it, Derek. Was hoping it was something minor, but sounds more worrying now. Hope it is not too expensive to sort out.

Spirit
30-03-2004, 09:41 PM
As Nick says Derek, really sorry to hear about your problem too :(

Hope you get it sorted and not too dear

SGHOM
30-03-2004, 09:52 PM
It looks like gearbox out this time, to try & sort the problem once & for all. I'm not letting Mitsy have a look at it yet, I know a few decent, knowledgable chaps who might want to take a look first.
I'll still use the car in the interim, just got to keep an eye on the ATF level. but I can see my baby being laid up for a while !! :Cry1:
It's cost me £400 already, & still It's not right !!

enigma
30-03-2004, 10:26 PM
Can I borrow your engine???? :D

SGHOM
30-03-2004, 10:30 PM
NO !!! get your own !! & donate your's to project VX !! :$
quick question, can you take the gearbox out, without removing the engine ??

enigma
30-03-2004, 10:39 PM
I am not sure....depends how much clearance you have. I would guess that it would be a lot easier to drop the subframe and then split the engine and box!

Project VX can have my engine as long as I can find myself another! I will sell it for a very reasonable price too! Especially if the new one come attached to a complete car!

zedy1
30-03-2004, 10:47 PM
derek sorry to hear about your problems, but i could confirm you could get the box out without removing the engine but personnally ill prefer the engine out cus the box weighs a ton :undecided

SGHOM
30-03-2004, 10:54 PM
I'll leave it for someone else to sort out, If the box is heavy, thats their problem !! I dont have time to sort it, otherwise I would, :$ :$
/ PS !!! could you modify you signature please ?? BHP 400 ??? dont you mean 292 ?? :lipsrseal :$ :$ :lolz:

zedy1
30-03-2004, 10:56 PM
im considering 500 horses by the end of this year or maybe a 1000 (just need to chop the other vr4) :lolz:

SGHOM
30-03-2004, 11:02 PM
im considering 500 horses by the end of this year or maybe a 1000 (just need to chop the other vr4) :lolz:just donate it to project VX, & we'll take care of the rest !!! :-b

bonsai boy
01-04-2004, 09:48 PM
no one will hit 500 on std box and dif i can guarantee

turboman
20-12-2004, 07:23 PM
hello mate, ive had my vr4 a few months now, ive started getting the dreaded atf on the rear screen too!! DId you get yours fixed?? wot was it?? Its hard to see where its coming from! cheers

Nick Mann
20-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Turboman, have a look HERE (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4646)