PDA

View Full Version : Longer Ratios fitted - my thoughts

bradc
18-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Well the EVO ratios are now in my car and I've done 200km with them in. This is a follow on from Kenneths post (number 87) on this topic.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21414&page=5

I have attached a little chart showing what the stock is and what I now have. As you can see it is now possible to get to 100kmh in 2nd.

To be honest I couldn't really tell any difference in acceleration between the original ratios and the new ratios. In saying that, my car isn't exactly stock. The only times I really knew that the gears were any different were:

Changing out of second with just over 100kmh indicated on the speedo

After changing out of second being at higher rpm in 3rd gear, making 3rd gear seem much shorter. Before changing out of 2nd at 7000rpm would see you in 3rd at 4680rpm, now after the change the engine is at 5050rpm. This is VERY noticable. When driving at normal aggressiveness levels, ie changing out of 2nd at 4000-5000rpm, 3rd still feels a lot shorter and feels...for want of a better word, 'sportier'. This is the biggest change imho.

Now for the longer 5th, which is the original reason I started to research different ratios. I couldn't notice anything when driving in 5th. The revs are obviously a bit lower, but there was no difference in acceleration, pickup or lag that I could notice. I still ended up on the high side of 100mph passing 5 cars while keeping it in 5th the entire time. Apart from looking at the tacho there was no real way to tell. What I didn't notice however was that changing from 4th to 5th feels different. Changing at 70kmh isn't really an option when accelerating onto the motorway or another situation where you need to accelerate as quick as other cars, you need to be at about 85kmh or so to change into 5th now, otherwise the car does sound like it is being bogged down a bit. In saying that when in traffic on the motorway I regularly changed into 5th at 60kmh and just let the car build up speed which it did perfectly ok, without roughness or anything. I think that out on the open road going up hills where you'd normally be able to keep it in 5th gear down 95% of the time, you might need to change down into 4th a bit more.

Overall I really recommend the ratio swap. 1st is still simply frantic as always even though it is a lot longer, but the main advantages are what I highlighted above, the longer 2nd that lets you get to 100kmh, the effective shortening of 3rd gear and the longer 5th for lower cruising rpm.

djb160
19-12-2008, 01:55 AM
So whats the real 5th gear cruising rpm drop that as measured in car? Is this the same as Kenneths set?

bradc
19-12-2008, 02:11 AM
Well in the original chart 3000rpm is 114kmh. In real life it is more like 5th at 3000rpm indicated is about 111-112kmh. Now it is about 3000rpm for 120kmh, and 2750rpm or so for 110kmh.

thfelipeth
19-12-2008, 03:08 AM
Well the EVO ratios are now in my car and I've done 200km with them in. This is a follow on from Kenneths post (number 87) on this topic.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21414&page=5

I have attached a little chart showing what the stock is and what I now have. As you can see it is now possible to get to 100kmh in 2nd.

To be honest I couldn't really tell any difference in acceleration between the original ratios and the new ratios. In saying that, my car isn't exactly stock. The only times I really knew that the gears were any different were:

Changing out of second with just over 100kmh indicated on the speedo

After changing out of second being at higher rpm in 3rd gear, making 3rd gear seem much shorter. Before changing out of 2nd at 7000rpm would see you in 3rd at 4680rpm, now after the change the engine is at 5050rpm. This is VERY noticable. When driving at normal aggressiveness levels, ie changing out of 2nd at 4000-5000rpm, 3rd still feels a lot shorter and feels...for want of a better word, 'sportier'. This is the biggest change imho.

Now for the longer 5th, which is the original reason I started to research different ratios. I couldn't notice anything when driving in 5th. The revs are obviously a bit lower, but there was no difference in acceleration, pickup or lag that I could notice. I still ended up on the high side of 100mph passing 5 cars while keeping it in 5th the entire time. Apart from looking at the tacho there was no real way to tell. What I didn't notice however was that changing from 4th to 5th feels different. Changing at 70kmh isn't really an option when accelerating onto the motorway or another situation where you need to accelerate as quick as other cars, you need to be at about 85kmh or so to change into 5th now, otherwise the car does sound like it is being bogged down a bit. In saying that when in traffic on the motorway I regularly changed into 5th at 60kmh and just let the car build up speed which it did perfectly ok, without roughness or anything. I think that out on the open road going up hills where you'd normally be able to keep it in 5th gear down 95% of the time, you might need to change down into 4th a bit more.

Overall I really recommend the ratio swap. 1st is still simply frantic as always even though it is a lot longer, but the main advantages are what I highlighted above, the longer 2nd that lets you get to 100kmh, the effective shortening of 3rd gear and the longer 5th for lower cruising rpm. i'm a little puzzled... what did you change? all the gears???

bradc
19-12-2008, 03:48 AM
We changed the gearset inside the gearbox. 3rd and 4th are the same, the others have different ratios

Haggis
19-12-2008, 06:16 AM
This was a direct fit into the VR-4 gearbox housing???

And the final drive is stock standard???

djb160
19-12-2008, 06:32 AM
Well in the original chart 3000rpm is 114kmh. In real life it is more like 5th at 3000rpm indicated is about 111-112kmh. Now it is about 3000rpm for 120kmh, and 2750rpm or so for 110kmh.

And 100kmh?

elnevio
19-12-2008, 07:01 AM
And 100kmh?
At a guess, 2500rpm seeing as 110kmh is 2750rpm.

djb160
19-12-2008, 07:25 AM
At a guess, 2500rpm seeing as 110kmh is 2750rpm.

Can you confirm that Brad?

dickytim
20-12-2008, 05:40 AM
Brad,

You'll need to find me another set the same, I want to change the clutch over in the next 6 months and would like to also change the gear set over.

:)

The Vee
20-12-2008, 12:51 PM
nice work Brad. Interesting report and much as to be expected:thumbsup:

djb160
20-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Yep. Nice to hear some more actual results rather just theory. Now hurry up and get some gt25r's.

bradc
21-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Haggis - yep, they fit straight in.

Dale - bang on 2500rpm

Richard - Unlikely to find another one, but you can buy the 0.721 5th gears at any time from Ralliart, around $320 if I remember correctly.

Haggis
22-12-2008, 03:13 AM
Ok, just to clarify: What model EVO is the gearset out of? Do you know if all 5 speed EVO gearsets the same ratio? Do you need to change the Mainshafts, Cluster shaft and gears?

Sorry for all the questions but it looks like my Facelift Leggy needs a new Clutch and I was thinking I could look into changing the Gearbox ratios while it was out. My biggest complaint with the VR-4 at the moment is how short 1st and 5th are.

bradc
22-12-2008, 03:25 AM
Well I had two complete gearsets with the shafts and everything. The 1st and 2nd gears are part of the output shafts.

All 5 speed evo 4-9 sets will fit, no problems at all. The ratios vary however. The only ones with the 0.721 5th are EVO 7's and 5 speed EVO 8's. All have the 1.95 2nd gear and either 2.928, 2.857, 2.785 1st gear.

Kenneth
22-12-2008, 03:54 AM
ROFL

The gear set that is now in my car has a straight cut 1st gear!

First thought was "feck, something broken /Grrr "
But luckily I know enough about gearing that I recognised a straight cut gear, so went to 2nd, which was normal, then went back into 1st and just booted it up to 60km/h which is about 7kRPM

Was awesome :D

bradc
22-12-2008, 03:56 AM
Your new one is from an EVO RS and has the 2.785 1st. It will go up to 73 kmh in first :D

Kenneth
22-12-2008, 03:59 AM
Your new one is from an EVO RS and has the 2.785 1st. It will go up to 73 kmh in first :D

Hmm, didn't seem to go that high when I was driving, though I must admit I was still looking at the road so didn't spend too much time looking at the speedo/revs.

Now I don't like shifting into 2nd until I have to because it just sounds cool in 1st :P

djb160
22-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Can someone explain what a"straight cut gear" is please?

Kenneth
22-12-2008, 07:18 AM
Can someone explain what a"straight cut gear" is please?

In a standard gearbox, the gears are all cut in a helical pattern. While this isn't as strong a straight cut gears, it offers much improved noise characteristics.

You know that high pitched whine that F1 cars make? Thats the gearbox, because they have stright cut gears.

straight cut is stronger and has less parasitic drag, but it whines which is why they are usually only used in mortorsport.

for some idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmJH84FnQa8

The easiest way to think about it is it sounds like reverse, which is also a straight cut gear.

Subaru ETA
22-12-2008, 09:31 AM
yup ken hit the nail on the head.

straight cut gears are cheaper to make, hence why they use them for reverse gear. however, as ken said, theye whine like buggery hence why they dont use them in the forward gears

Adam.Findlay
09-07-2009, 12:57 AM
Righto so what gearset would you recomend to use evo 4,5,6,7,8,9 ?

dickytim
09-07-2009, 01:04 AM
now you are going to open a can or worms, Kenneth will tell you the one he prefers, that being a shorter 5th as he likes to drive with the car in a higher rev range than some others, I personally would have the longer 1st and longer 5th, where as Brad may like something entirely different, then there is the fact that there are different gearsets in each range as well.

bradc
09-07-2009, 03:23 AM
The ones with the longer 5th are the EVO 7 and 8 with the 5 speed, non RS. The RS ones have really really short gears.

All other EVO 4-9 5 speeds have a 5th that is equal to our 5th or shorter. The 1st + 2nd gears are longer on ALL EVO gear sets and on some of them 3rd + 4th are the same, on others 3rd + 4th are a bit shorter.

So....what are you after exactly?

Kenneth
09-07-2009, 03:31 AM
wtf set did I get then Brad? Because I have the longer evo 2nd, but some other sort of 1st gear... Did any of the Evos actually come with straight cut 1st as standard?

bradc
09-07-2009, 04:18 AM
You have an RS gearset. My 1st is 2.928, your 1st is 2.785.

Wodjno
09-07-2009, 07:24 AM
So if I go with a TRE 3.73 Final drive all should be pretty good then ?

Nick Mann
09-07-2009, 08:15 AM
So if I go with a TRE 3.73 Final drive all should be pretty good then ?

That's the optimum solution in my head. But after swapping a couple of emails with them I can't seem to get a price for shipping the bits we need over here!

Good luck with that....

Adam.Findlay
12-07-2009, 02:52 AM
Damn gear ratios!! ahh id like a longer 1st and 2nd as im finding I have to change up just that bit too soon on the track I use, But also a longer 5th would be wicked just for cruizing around town and open road driving, just any opinions from anyone who has done it would be wicked, things such as pros and cons from each diffrent set of ratios. Of course the best of both worlds would be great but I can see shorter ratios hindering me when i manage to afford more horsepower.

bradc
12-07-2009, 03:31 AM
I'm the only one with the longer 5th so far.

Adam.Findlay
12-07-2009, 07:51 AM
Thats cool, does it make it much better at 100kph?

bradc
12-07-2009, 07:56 AM
It is about 200rpm lower at 100kmh, so a bit quieter and potentially better on fuel.

Kenneth
12-07-2009, 10:22 PM
I have had both sets in my car.

I prefer the maximum length 1st, longer second and standard 5th.

A couple of hundred RPM on the motorway isn't a lot. The reduction in acceleration is likely to have you using more fuel as you load up the accelerator more to change speeds. It is change in load which uses fuel.
Also, when getting in excess of 160kph, that ratio difference was much more noticeable in terms of slower acceleration.

As such, I won't be entertaining the idea of a longer 5th until the car is capable of exceeding the speed of standard. (i.e. on track and on the back straight hitting the rev limiter in 5th)

bradc
13-07-2009, 12:28 AM
We'd all agree that there isn't much point in going above 6000rpm for maximum performance in a VR-4. With the stock 5th this is 232kmh and with the longer 5th this is 245kmh. You'd change out of 4th at 170-180kmh, and from that change point to 230kmh the shorter 5th would definitely accelerate harder, but from 230kmh the longer 5th would be better.

Kenneth
13-07-2009, 12:51 AM
I agree it isn't worth going much past 6000 to shift. The issue though is that you don't shift from 5th! Since 4th is the same ratio, you then actually have to hold 4th longer to fall into the same peak power area.

It's arguable whether the acceleration cost earlier in the gear is worth staying in the peak HP area that little bit longer.
Not only that, how often do you get to those speeds? On track for how many seconds?

You would really need to test it on 2 equivalent cars to find out any real world differences. I reckon in the end it just comes down to preference.

Oblivion
28-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Haggis - yep, they fit straight in.

Dale - bang on 2500rpm

Richard - Unlikely to find another one, but you can buy the 0.721 5th gears at any time from Ralliart, around $320 if I remember correctly.

Ok so I've read a few different threads about swapping in an evo gear set and I'm a bit lost. Is it possible to simply change the 5th gear to a 0.721 giving 100km/h at 2500rpm? Or is there additional things needed if there is a problem with the output gear, crown whee, shaftl?
Changing my clutch soon and thinking I'll try doing this if its simple enough.

Kenneth
28-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Yeah, you can change just the 5th gear ratio. Though if you are going to the trouble you might as well service the gearbox.

I think the main issue is that you will need to remove the bearings and then press off the R and 5th gears. It is a fairly simple job with the right tools, but a pain without.

Oblivion
28-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Ok thanks Kenneth, helpful as ever! :) If I can find one I'll probably get it done but since I have stuff all tools it might end up being someone elses job to do haha. I was thinking of changing over the full set of gears but now Im thinking just the 5th gear will be easier to find / cheaper.
With the full set did you need to swap over all the evo gears onto the vr4 shaft to overcome this problem? http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?23202-problem-with-output-gear-on-the-evo-gearsets&highlight=evo+gear+set

Kenneth
28-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Yep, you just need to swap everything on the output shaft.

You only need to do that if you want the 1st and 2nd ratios though, as they are cut into the input shaft.

adaxo
28-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Is anybody know where to look here in UK for spare second hand internals/parts of evo gbox??

swinks
28-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Is anybody know where to look here in UK for spare second hand internals/parts of evo gbox??
London Tower??? :jester:

Seriously Adam... couldn't resist. Try obvious sources first /yes

adaxo
29-11-2011, 01:21 AM
I'm looking at 'obvious' places like ebay, pistonheads, mlr, even gumtree :-) for few months now without much luck. I was hoping that maybe our traders got/know where to look better than me or you, or some one got crappy gbox laying around and think that is not worthy to advertising, like I still got v6 box in bits just taking space, but you never know . Don't ask don't know.

swinks
29-11-2011, 07:44 AM
And I've found 8 gearboxes from Evo 4-6 on ebay within 2 minutes. Price up to 500 quid. Obviously none being given for free...:laugh:

adaxo
29-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Ask any of the sellers to sell you 1st and 2nd gear and see what they reply to you :idea2::anxious::coat. Please reread what I asking for, its :soapbox:INTERNALS, first and second gear and associated bits to change extremely short ratios of mentioned gears in vr4 box to be precise, not a whole gbox/pan, I know it will be easiest way to buy a whole gbox swap few bits and throw rest in to the bin but I not lost my mind (YET), and one more thing, I dont recall where I was asking to be given any parts for free??:thinking:/JawDroppi

swinks
29-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Internal usually cost approx. 80 to 100 quid each gear. Other day I did search for 3rd gear stuff for Krzys from Mitsumaniaki. That was the lowest quotes. IMO, you would do better, cheaper and quicker buying whole gearbox, swap internals and put back on sale purchased gearbox. :)

adaxo
29-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Internal usually cost approx. 80 to 100 quid each gear. Other day I did search for 3rd gear stuff for Krzys from Mitsumaniaki. That was the lowest quotes. IMO, you would do better, cheaper and quicker buying whole gearbox, swap internals and put back on sale purchased gearbox. :)

That sounds like a plan, thanks

Adam.Findlay
01-12-2011, 09:55 AM
if you PM taylor. he bought an evo 4 gearbox put the evo 1st and 2nd onto a vr4 3rd 4th and 5th. or something along those lines
if you buy a whole evo box take what you want from it and then cobble together whats left into a frankenstein ration gearbox and sell it on ebay as custom you may break even or make a gain instead of being money down for buying half a gearbox and ending up with half a gearbox you cant sell

adaxo
01-12-2011, 05:11 PM
That is very reasonable option.

Any use of v6 gbox?? is just taking space and is very close to bin area now but maybe this is an option to swap gears in to vr4 box?? im sure I was read something about (don't know where) possibly usage of v6 box gears but cant find this now and don't remember what verdict was (good or no go)

adaxo
18-03-2016, 08:32 PM
Bloody hell, almost 5 years take me to source evo gbox :laugh: it seems like few months back, anyway is there in my garage and waiting to get split, now quick (and probably daft) question, what exact need to be changed? both input and output shafts with all gears on it or it needs to be disassembled and swapped over gear by gear? Nick Mann did you seen this process while was done on yours box by any chance?

Nick Mann
19-03-2016, 12:41 AM
No, I didn't see the process. Sorry.

TAR
19-03-2016, 02:10 PM
There is a thread on here from Kenneth where he talks about his gearbox upgrade. I'm sure you need a hefty press to swap some gears over.
:happy:

adaxo
21-03-2016, 09:28 PM
Ok I just reread every thread gbox ratios related and split evo box to actually understand what's that all about and pls correct me if im wrong.
Do I need to swap everything over from middle shaft (output shaft) in picture (evo one) to vr4 shaft and then swap whole assembled shaft (input) from evo to vr4 case and keep that big wheel (crown) off vr4 box? Kenneth Adam.Findlay

Nick Mann
22-03-2016, 07:52 AM
The big gear at the top of the photo is part of the final drive. You need to keep that and the gear it mates to. I understand that the gear it mates to is physically the same bit of metal as the shaft so you need to swap everything on that shaft.

adaxo
23-03-2016, 10:31 AM
Bearings for overhaul my spare box ordered, now just waiting game for order to arrive then need to find someone to replace them, then measure shims needed, other them, and put it back together. Hope month will be enough.

Parts no for reference

Mitsubishi MD710663 BEARING
Mitsubishi MD746743 BEARING
Mitsubishi MD747745 BEARING
Mitsubishi MD748457 BEARING
Mitsubishi MD746715 BEARING
Mitsubishi MR980742 BEARING

Can anyone link me to the right tool needed for removing bearing races from case? all on bay are to big

Adam.Findlay
25-03-2016, 10:39 AM
yes you need to swap all the gears across from the output shaft as you need to retain the VR4 output shaft as the final drive gear is machined into that shaft
what I did was put the evo 1st-4th gears from the output shaft onto my VR4 output shaft and then put the complete evo input shaft with my VR4 5th gear swapped onto the back end of it.

as for removing the bearing races. just heat the gearbox up with a propane torch or oxy-acetylene torch. as the alloy expands faster then the steel it will loosen up enough so you can pull them out by hand, or often they fall out when heating the case.

adaxo
25-03-2016, 11:19 AM
TBH I didn't expect it's so much hassle, I was thinking more like straight swap is required. Its not doable without press and selection of specialised tools which I don't have, I will try to ask gearbox specialist place to do it while I be there with my new bearing to be changed (when they arrive) and see how much it would cost, if is not much then I'm keen to swap it but if they say £100+ then I change bearings only and forget about evo ratios as its IMO not worth the hassle.

Bearing races usually fall off from big part of casing and I never struggle to take them off by light pry while I did my other box, what I'm struggling now is to take them out off 'clutch housing' part of box, but will try to heat them up and pray for the best, thanks.

Davezj
25-03-2016, 01:41 PM
I have my slide hammer out of the shed if you want to borrow it to hook under the bearing and give it a little pull out. Not sure if it will work or be required. I also have a propane torch if you need to get two on there to get more heat into the localised area.
The gear box casing will wick the heat away from the bearing area very quickly, you remember mat happened when we heated that bolt up that was stuck in the gearbox case. Remove the propane torch and the gear box case was almost cold after a good 5 min burn.
It might have been you propane flame was set to cold via the air shield round the outside of the flame. You try adjusting that to get a good blue triangle in the flame.
But you are more than welcome to borrow my stuff any time.

Davezj
25-03-2016, 02:17 PM
by the way for anyone that does not know the reason why a puk clutch bits hard than full face clutch it because the clamping force of the clutch springs is concentrated through a smaller contact of contact with a puk clutch so you actually get more force per area of the friction material. so it bites harder as long as the puk friction material can take the extra heat and ware.

a bit random i know but clutch realed.

adaxo
09-04-2016, 09:43 PM
Ok we did it, we ( with Davezj ) spend most of the day today on playing with box, now the boring bit of genesis of all that work.

As you may know, if you read this forum often, that I have some problems with clutch, AGAIN, and I hate this job so to make this task more interesting I went on the bay and found evo 8 box as they have longer 1st 2nd and 5th gears, luckily I got one for decent price with cracked clutch housing, after taking it apart to actually understand this whole ratios difference thingy I realised that ALL things on output shaft have to be swapped over from evo box to vr4 box, so initially it was a rocked science to me and I was looking to price up this job done by gearbox specialist, went to one reputable and try to explain what's I'm after then he said NO it will not work and he can change bearings (that was my initial quote) for £150, then I politely say its a bit more than I was hoping to pay and leave.

Back home went on the bay and order this beauty (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162018044610?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) she arrived next day, as promised in ad, then after quick chat with Dave, we both was up for a challenge, so make arrangement for today and we ply all day with this and various other tools and two gboxes, there's the results

here's the beauty

work start slowly with taking apart vr4 output shaft

then few minutes after

we clean all parts thoroughly again with Davezj tools which hes kindly provided /thankyou

work in progress

and we end up with this

both output shaft have swapped over all bits and both input and output have new bearings fitted, so far so good but there's not happy ending, yet, what I struggle with is how to take diff bearings off? Adam.Findlay we went to our local tools shop and there's nothing available to fit in really small gap between bearing and diff any clues appreciated

Thanks Dave for going through with this as two brains are always more than one you a star /GJ

adaxo
11-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Just to add here, very interesting read about how properly put box together (http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/gearbox-shimming-expert-needed.432456/) for future reference

adaxo
11-04-2016, 08:28 PM
Another half day of fight, I manage to replace both bearings on diff, to replace one side you need to undone big gear

all washed and dried, with new bearing ready for assembly

other side bearing have to be destroyed to remove

then you have a little lip just enough to fit bearing removal tool

and its off

gearbox taking shape, ready to measure shims

and I end up with this

Now need to source right size shims and it will be ready to fit, hopefully this weekend

and there's current speed/rpms pictures, so far only 5th gear

and speedo after evo gears fitted

added for future reference

vr4 final drive with e8 gearset (http://www.cargister.com/calculator-gear-ratio?rpm=7500&final_ratio_teeths[]=&final_ratio_teeths[]=&fdr=4.111&diameter=643.3&ratio[1]=2.928&ratio[2]=1.950&ratio[3]=1.407&ratio[4]=1.031&ratio[5]=0.720&ratio[6]=&speed_in=mph&width=235&profile=45&wheel_diameter=17&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=)

vr4 standard box (http://www.cargister.com/calculator-gear-ratio?rpm=7500&final_ratio_teeths[]=&final_ratio_teeths[]=&fdr=4.111&diameter=643.3&ratio[1]=3.333&ratio[2]=2.105&ratio[3]=1.407&ratio[4]=1.031&ratio[5]=0.761&ratio[6]=&speed_in=mph&width=235&profile=45&wheel_diameter=17&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=&teeths[1][]=&teeths[2][]=)

adaxo
16-04-2016, 10:15 PM
Have a first short drive with longer 1st 2nd and 5th, didn't notice anything on first two gears, maybe cos i didn't floor it as must wear in clutch first but 5th gear its different animal now, between 3-4k rpm its going from about 70 close to 100, im worrying about my license now.

Davezj
16-04-2016, 10:46 PM
Nice hear some feed back on the changes you have made. Do a few more updates on the feel and how it has change over the next few outings, maybe post up the same picture of the speedo at different rpm like before.

Of course you car speedo is in kph. Lol.
Evening orofiser.

Sent from my space-aged gizmo

adaxo
18-04-2016, 09:12 PM
As you wish Dave

Today I do 'urgently' drive from stand still and it is different now, used to be like 1st bang gone 2nd bang gone 3rd a bit of hesitation and much slower rpm climbing up to go to 4th.

Now 123 are very 'even', drop in revs feel great in between gear changes and car is, or at least feels much more sportier through this three gears, like constantly want to GO! GO! GO!
Very happy with this mod.
Anyone wants VERY short e8 box?

Davezj
19-04-2016, 06:49 AM
That looks great.
A really good write up.

Sent from my space-aged gizmo

Nick Mann
19-04-2016, 08:38 AM
The thoughts on this thread are similar to my own. The car doesn't feel any slower, the gears still feel well spaced. I would still like a longer 5th/final drive though - as you can see from Adams revs vs speed photos the difference is just not enough!

adaxo
19-04-2016, 09:22 AM
Im not sure I would like to have even longer 5th, It doesn't looks like a lot from pictures but in real life its noticeable, car feels more 'civilised' on 5th now, kind of like my daily mazda 6, cruising 'at the edge of legality' on about 3250 rpm its IMO just bang on as in my case its where my torque start to peak and im on 200HP at this revs, what I find out now Im often touching driving licence BAN limit without realising it when b4 I can feel car its going fast, it used to was an 'event' crossing 100mph.

Will post more later as I just driven it for about 60 miles, I want to see if fuel economy changed and it will be good chance to measure on way to and from japfest this weekend, stay tuned.

glyn
02-11-2019, 10:40 AM
Im not sure I would like to have even longer 5th, It doesn't looks like a lot from pictures but in real life its noticeable, car feels more 'civilised' on 5th now, kind of like my daily mazda 6, cruising 'at the edge of legality' on about 3250 rpm its IMO just bang on as in my case its where my torque start to peak and im on 200HP at this revs, what I find out now Im often touching driving licence BAN limit without realising it when b4 I can feel car its going fast, it used to was an 'event' crossing 100mph.

Will post more later as I just driven it for about 60 miles, I want to see if fuel economy changed and it will be good chance to measure on way to and from japfest this weekend, stay tuned.

this is an awesome read, I was hoping to do something similar cheaply, however looking at the lengths you've gone to I don't think that will be the case! while you had everything open did you ever manage to have a look and see if the v6 galant box bits were any good, I currently have an evo 4 box in and the gears are rubbish to say the least, I do have a whole 24v v6 galant that ive been cutting stuff from I have the gearbox so I was hoping to harvest that as I remember the gears felt like they changed at the right point, I really don't know much about gearboxes so any help would be appreciated, also a basic question, when I open the box do the individual gear sets actually have the ratio stamped on them or do I have to try look up the gearbox, ive looked up the evo box and it has a question mark on my box number !