PDA

View Full Version : Uprated ball joints ?

dickytim
22-12-2008, 01:52 AM
Hi All,

I have to do my lower ball joints for the second time in 2 years and only 10,000km, does anyone know if there is an uprated or "heavy duty" version of these available, not that it is a hard job or all that expensive but it is an inconvenience that I don't really need in another 2 years time :)

Thanks.

bradc
22-12-2008, 02:46 AM
Did you get original mitsi ones or aftermarket ones?

dickytim
22-12-2008, 02:57 AM
hey Brad, they are aftermarket they were brought thru ripco

bradc
22-12-2008, 03:04 AM
hmm, I remember seeing some posts about the ones that camskill provide being poo as well.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29046&highlight=camskill+arms

Infact searching for camskill arms brings up a few interesting results

william
22-12-2008, 03:15 AM
Richard, when I had mine replaced recently the guy at the suspension place said they only use genuine Mitsubishi arms because of quality problems with the other brands. So I guess it will work out cheaper in the long run to get the Mitsi ones, and have peace of mind too!

Kenneth
22-12-2008, 03:50 AM
How much do you want to spend getting some custom ones made up? :P

I am sure I could get you some rebuildable ones made up :) Thats what ill be doing when mine need doing anyway.

Personally I think its a design flaw, the ball joint should be around the other way so that the load is pressing the ball into the socket rather than pulling it apart.

Hi All,

I have to do my lower ball joints for the second time in 2 years and only 10,000km, does anyone know if there is an uprated or "heavy duty" version of these available, not that it is a hard job or all that expensive but it is an inconvenience that I don't really need in another 2 years time :)

Thanks.

dickytim
22-12-2008, 07:54 AM
it'll cost me around $200 to do all four, it is more that I hate failing warrants more than anything else.

I think I can do them in about an hour per side.

I have done them before.

dickytim
22-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Did you get original mitsi ones or aftermarket ones?

They were camalot branded.

Subaru ETA
22-12-2008, 09:36 AM
How much do you want to spend getting some custom ones made up? :P

I am sure I could get you some rebuildable ones made up :) Thats what ill be doing when mine need doing anyway.

Personally I think its a design flaw, the ball joint should be around the other way so that the load is pressing the ball into the socket rather than pulling it apart.

it deffo is a design flaw - thats why mitsi dont use that system anymore! Ford use the same setup on the Territory and they have the exact same problem with the ball joints

rees
22-12-2008, 10:25 AM
could we use other model ball joints? evo magna etc?

Kieran
22-12-2008, 10:34 AM
I wonder - Can you get replacements that have, or can you drill and tap a new balljoint to install a grease nipple? That might help?