PDA

View Full Version : Do they all have AYC?

Ailsa
28-05-2003, 06:45 PM
I don't think our car has AYC for 3 reasons INSERT INTO post VALUES (but I may just be being blonde so please feel free to correct me!)

1) The wee light on the dash for AYC other people have mentioned never comes on - despite best efforts...

2) Our mechanic never saw anything connected to the suspension when he had the engine/gearbox out to fix the gear box oil seal thingy.

3) I am lucky enough to have a copy of the original 1999 Galant broshure which contains a supplement section on the VR4. Unfortunately it's all in Japanese so kinda hard to figure out! But the spec for a type S mentions AYC and the type V doesn't... Anyone read Japanese??

I thought from advice on previous posts that we had a Type S - but now I'm now so sure!

Pescha
28-05-2003, 08:36 PM
Hi, well when you start your car do you see three bar green lights come on for a few seconds?

Cause I think they all do have them....

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to shed some light for us ;)

Cheers,
Pescha!

Brind
28-05-2003, 09:30 PM
The manual is not meant to have AYC.. but I think BraindG has it though?

Like Pescha just said, you will have a small red AYC light amongst the usual oil lights etc plus the three bar AYC stages will also light for a couple of seconds after the car has started and go out once it has been checked like the SRS and oil light etc does, the three bar lights are green on mine INSERT INTO post VALUES (latest shape and revised dash).

I thought they all had Traction Control, but looking all over mine, I can't see it, I have no switch and I don't have the TCL light on my dash either INSERT INTO post VALUES (I'm almost positive).
According to a site I found a little while ago, it seems that the TCL is an option along with side airbags and something else.

pjjohnson
29-05-2003, 08:05 AM
You are right, they don't all have AYC. Type S does, Type V doesn't. The type V in my brochure INSERT INTO post VALUES ( 1998) doesn't have the arches either and has alloys with five single spokes with 205/55/16 tyres. The type S has five twin spokes with 225/50/16 tyres.

I think all Ralliart cars were Type S.

Earlier manuals did have AYC. They stopped making manual cars with AYC for the 1999 model year - damn it.

I was told by Ralliart that the AYC equipped vehicles do have traction control, but no switches or warning lights for it.

BraindG
29-05-2003, 08:06 AM
shoot me down if im wrong.. however, i strongly believe the following

all 8G VR-4's have AYC, the rest of the lower models have TC.. And yes, i Have a manual with AYC

Ailsa, you on about the AYC symbol light? or the bars? best way to check it is to go along a strait bit, and at about 30MPH move steering wheel left to right, from about 10 oclock to 2 oclock fairly fast.. shjould bring the little buggers up.. however you might find... they were disabled.. Ive heard people mention things about some wires, and having a dodgy connection to diff INSERT INTO post VALUES (i think not sure); but basically there was no problem with the car itself.. just a loose connection which was causing the green bars to flicker all day long.. and instead of trying to find this loose wireINSERT INTO post VALUES (could have been anywhere); the easiest way was just to remove the cable from the back of the dash...

Pescha
29-05-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by pjjohnson
I was told by Ralliart that the AYC equipped vehicles do have traction control, but no switches or warning lights for it.

MMM thats strange cause my Legnum is equipped with AYC and it has a on/off switch for the traction control, and it has the read light for the AYC tooo!

I really think its how its ordered out of the factory... Some have some options others don't......

Mines a limited edition model so I suppose it has the works :D

Cheers
Pescha!

Pescha
29-05-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Pescha
'read light'

OOPS red light... hehe :thumb:

Pescha:o

Ailsa
29-05-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by pjjohnson
You are right, they don't all have AYC. Type S does, Type V doesn't. The type V in my brochure INSERT INTO post VALUES ( 1998) doesn't have the arches either and has alloys with five single spokes with 205/55/16 tyres. The type S has five twin spokes with 225/50/16 tyres.

I think all Ralliart cars were Type S.

Earlier manuals did have AYC. They stopped making manual cars with AYC for the 1999 model year - damn it.

Is your broshure in English? If so maybe you could scan it in and post it up here and settle in V/S debates! I can happily scan an post mine but as I said it's Japanese which looks cool, but is of limited use!

I agree though about the wheel/tyre spec and the wheel arch details above. The only thing putting me off beleiving I have a V spec now is that the picture of the V has a sun roof and I don't. Maybe that's an optional extra?

I don't recall seeing any AYC lights either on start up or driving - I will check again though....

pjjohnson
30-05-2003, 10:30 AM
The brochure is mostly in Japanese, but some of it is in English - I'll have a go at scanning it and posting it. The type V VR4s in the brochure DO NOT have AYC.

aaron68nz
30-05-2003, 11:10 AM
I have a '97 VR4 sedan INSERT INTO post VALUES (not any special version as far as I know) and it too has the 3 AYC lights INSERT INTO post VALUES (with red AYC "in trouble" light on dash) and traction control that comes on automatically when the engine is started but has a manual over ride switch to turn it off as well.
The AYC lights are pretty easy to get going off course. Just try flooring the accelerator while turning around a round about. I guess having the traction control as well helps for this fun behaviour!

-LegnumVR4-
31-05-2003, 09:10 AM
I think i've posted this info a few time now. All INSERT INTO post VALUES (and i mean auto's, manuals, sedan or wagons) have AYC if they are before they did the face lift INSERT INTO post VALUES (bumper, spotlights, flared arcs etc). So thats the 96 -98 old style VR4's. In half why through 1998 they brought out the new face and added the Type-V model INSERT INTO post VALUES (the Type-S is still there and just added the new body work, everything is the same besides the ECU); the Type-V model INSERT INTO post VALUES (wagon or sedan auto or manual) have no AYC, no flared arcs, no funky dash that lights up and has contrast control. They do have all the new face lift bumpers, spot lights.

As soon as u turn the key to on there will be a red AYC light that come on to test it.

Anyother questions just ask:)

Ailsa
31-05-2003, 11:40 PM
Ok, pretty sure then we DON'T have AYC :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

We DO however have Ralliart suspension, or at least we have Ralliart stickers on the shocks, lol.

No lights at start-up, and trust me, I've tried the roundabout test ;)

Dave & Ailsa.

Brind
31-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Could be just as well, I need a £2,000 replacement AYC pump! :) covered by warranty thank christ! :eek:

Spirit
02-06-2003, 01:12 AM
I have a Type S with AYC INSERT INTO post VALUES (pre-facelift model) and I have a traction control ON/OFF switch aswell INSERT INTO post VALUES (TCL) - :D

Pete

aaron68nz
05-06-2003, 12:48 AM
Can anyboby think of situations where having the traction control off would be of significant benefit?

Brind
05-06-2003, 11:08 PM
When you want to wheel spin up the road like a lunatic = alot of fun! also you may achieve faster standing starts if you are good enough to avoid wheel spin at high acceleration.