PDA

View Full Version : Invisibility Mode

Wodjno
23-12-2008, 02:17 AM
Whats the point of having this MODE ?

And why would someone want to use it :inquisiti

Unless they are trying to hide and be totally secretive about what there upto :thinking:

And thats not the way Forums should work IMHO :inquisiti

Members who use it must be a Whole Bit Dodgy :vulcan:

Spirit
23-12-2008, 08:12 AM
I know a few who use it regularly......for whatever reason. I'm sure he won't mind me mentioning his name, but Mo (Zedy) is one of them......and it's because he used to get bombarded with questions about parts etc whenever he was online, so he uses invisibility. I guess others must have their reasons.

However, in the past I have suggested turning this facility off too.

/gets off fence as arse is hurting now

Turbo_Steve
23-12-2008, 08:17 AM
Likewise, has been a common function of just about every board I've been on, and is especially useful for moderators or vendors when they're relaxing at home and not "on the job" as it were.

miller
23-12-2008, 12:31 PM
okay, turn off the invisibilty mode to all general members, leave it on for paid up traders? use it as an incentive to open a trading account?

I too have recently learned of someone who has been using this and it utterly peeved me. WHY?

Mike

Kieran
23-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Meh, some people just want to lurk. Gives some people a sense of security maybe?

It's hardly a big thing though... Admins can still see who's doing what, when and from whether people are 'Invisible' or not - So if someone was planning to cause trouble, they would fail.

We can see dead people too. :skull:

chris g
23-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Surely the benefit for using it is that you can just look around without your presence being announced - I do not think of it as strange or improper

I assume that you cannot post invisibly so whats the harm...

Wodjno
23-12-2008, 02:19 PM
I just's think it comes accross sneaky :inquisiti

Why would you want to be part of the forums yet hide the fact that you are on the forums ?

And yes you can post in invisbility mode.. :thinking:

And i don't get the bit what Pete said about Zedy getting bombarded with parts requests :speechles

That can only be good can't it ?? He's sellig parts and people are asking him for parts ?

Sounds like the perfect format to me /yes

Be a bit weird if you was watching the TV and the Adverts came on and all the companys started runnng in invisibilty mode so you can't see there adverts ? Or company vans and building with Cloaking devices so they can't be seen :speechles

Anyway.. Just seems pointless to me /yes

Just my Tuppence worth :scholar:

chris g
23-12-2008, 02:39 PM
So if you post 'invisibly' are you identified as 'visitor', 'invisible' or your correct log-in name...?

My assumption was that if you post whilst 'invisible' then you will be identified on the post so you are not posting anonymously which was my concern

If you post whilst invisible and log-in name is shown then no problem..

For me at least...

The Vee
23-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Yes, if you post whilst invisible your post will show as normal withuser name etc. You just don't show in who's online etc.

Roberto
23-12-2008, 03:05 PM
From my view point, I would not see a problem with it.

Didn't even know it existed till now, but could be handy.
Can't see any worries for others to use it.

It's not like there is a Secret Police Service out to get people./pan

But I do like the idea of being on, just to browse and not being visable.

SGHOM
23-12-2008, 03:08 PM
I was going to use the invisible mode, but I cant see it happening. :inquisiti :thinking:

chris g
23-12-2008, 03:47 PM
I was going to use it but could not see the 'button' to click...

psbarham
23-12-2008, 04:03 PM
what is invisible mode? its says i'm invisible under my username bit ever since i got reinstated, does that mean i'm like the forum version of bruce willis, or maybe casper (the grumpy ghost /lol) ? and who ever turned it on can you turn it off please?

Actually leave it for a bit, if I'm really invisible then there's a few people i want to scare, and a few lady's on here ;)

Kieran
23-12-2008, 04:06 PM
what is invisible mode? its says i'm invisible under my username bit ever since i got reinstated, does that mean i'm like the forum version of bruce willis, or maybe casper (the grumpy ghost /lol) ? and who ever turned it on can you turn it off please?

It's within your user control panel Paul - Options I think :)

psbarham
23-12-2008, 04:08 PM
It's within your user control panel Paul - Options I think :)

is it? i'll go and have a rummage around, and when i'm done with that:thinking: i'll have a look at the options

White Lightning
23-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Yep, as Kieran say ... User Control Panel, then Edit Options and then there is a "Use Invisible Mode" checkbox.

Turbo_Steve
23-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Wodj,

To use an analogy, imagine that, rather than having a company van with your work number on it, you have your own. personal home number on it. So you're sitting trying to watch TV and some jerk calls you up at 11pm to find out if you have any engine covers in stock (when it clearly states on your van that you don't).

Now translate that into coming online to actually read about cars, only to be bombarded with "How much are cambelts, headlights, carbon fibre dash bits" etc.

zedy1
23-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Never knew i was invisible :speechles

ANTHONY
23-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Never knew i was invisible :speechlesnow look what you'v done....he'll be asked for parts now

SGHOM
23-12-2008, 11:49 PM
now look what you'v done

Who the feck are you? :speechles squinto ?? wassat all about muppet /Grrr /pan :iloveyou:

ANTHONY
23-12-2008, 11:51 PM
Who the feck are you? :speechles squinto ?? wassat all about muppet /Grrr /pan :iloveyou:who i'm I ? who the feck are you calling who are you

SGHOM
23-12-2008, 11:57 PM
who i'm I ? who the feck are you calling who are you
I'm who I am... but your not who you are? you were someone you were, but now your not someone you were..... was ? :thinking:

elnevio
23-12-2008, 11:59 PM
Invisibility, name-changing, you'd think Tony wouldn't want to be found or sommat!

ANTHONY
23-12-2008, 11:59 PM
I'm who I am... but your not who you are? you were someone you were, but now your not someone you were..... was ? :thinking:but i'm still the same person i was just seems that i'm not who i once was........ its me:iloveyou:

Wodjno
24-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Wodj,

To use an analogy, imagine that, rather than having a company van with your work number on it, you have your own. personal home number on it. So you're sitting trying to watch TV and some jerk calls you up at 11pm to find out if you have any engine covers in stock (when it clearly states on your van that you don't).

Now translate that into coming online to actually read about cars, only to be bombarded with "How much are cambelts, headlights, carbon fibre dash bits" etc.

Not interested in Analogy's /pan

And by the sounds of it :thinking: Neither is Mo :happy:

Kieran
24-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Analogy or not... I see no reason to get rid of this feature. It doesn't cause any harm after all. In fact the only time you notice it is if you're sat there watching 'Whos Online' - Other than that nothing much else changes.

ANTHONY
24-12-2008, 12:11 AM
so Barry could be invisable as we speak

Wodjno
24-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Analogy or not... I see no reason to get rid of this feature. It doesn't cause any harm after all. In fact the only time you notice it is if you're sat there watching 'Whos Online' - Other than that nothing much else changes.

I GIVE UP :speechles

ANTHONY
24-12-2008, 12:13 AM
I GIVE UP :speechleswho said that

Kieran
24-12-2008, 12:15 AM
so Barry could be invisable as we speak

Well, no - As Admins, we'd see him if he was about.

But technically, if you were a member and someone was online but never posted, you'd be none the wiser.

elnevio
24-12-2008, 12:20 AM
I assume the status on the left would show as offline while you're in invisible mode?

Wodjno
24-12-2008, 12:22 AM
I assume the status on the left would show as offline while you're in invisible mode?

Nope.. Online !!

Kieran
24-12-2008, 12:26 AM
To the person who is invisible, you still appear as online.

To everyone else, you appear as either a blank or offline - Can't remember which.

To Admin - You appear as a dead person. But as Admin, we see dead people! :skull: :D

Wodjno
24-12-2008, 12:30 AM
But as Admin, we see dead people! :skull: :D

:skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull:

ANTHONY
24-12-2008, 12:32 AM
good job im in the invisable mode then ...i'v only got me pants on.:thinking:

ohhh no i'm not invisable:happy:

Wodjno
24-12-2008, 12:50 AM
good job im in the invisable mode then ...i'v only got me pants on.:thinking:

ohhh no i'm not invisable:happy:

Are you sure A ? As i can't see anyting :D

Kenneth
24-12-2008, 01:02 AM
You cant hide...

Wodjno
24-12-2008, 01:03 AM
You cant hide...

And your point is ?? :inquisiti

How come everyone else can hide then ??

This place gets worse ??

Your all a bunch of ....................

Nite Nite:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Kenneth
24-12-2008, 01:08 AM
And your point is ?? :inquisiti

No point, just wanted to do some post whoring like everyone else around here :anxious:

Turbo_Steve
24-12-2008, 08:33 AM
No point, just wanted to do some post whoring like everyone else around here

To use an analogy (for everyone except WODJ) it's like an infinite number of monkeys on an infinite number of keyboards. Though it takes less time to create "the internet" than it does to create Shakespere, as the average moron rating is higher.

Kieran
24-12-2008, 10:18 AM
This place gets worse ??

Derr? Why does this place get worse?!:inquisiti

Turbo_Steve
24-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Honestly: I swear it happens as the value of any car passes a certain point.

Wodjno
24-12-2008, 12:20 PM

WTF .. I've neve heard so much cack !!

Throbbe
24-12-2008, 12:21 PM

There's actually a second point where things start to pick up again, around £4-500. Retrorides being a good example.

Nick Mann
24-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Invisibility mode is for people who want to be unnoticed whilst they browse.

Anyone except moderators sees the invisible person as offline when they are online.

I have never used it myself, and I would imagine I never would. I can understand that people want to bu unnoticed, though. That's why I painted my Brembos black. It's also why I have no desire to change to an Evo. I like subtlety.

I can't see what harm invisibility mode causes. Can someone explain to me what the negative side of it is? Otherwise I agree with Kieran - leave it there for those shy people who want to use it.

Wodjno
24-12-2008, 01:54 PM
To tell you the truth, i have always thought it is a strange thing to have on a public forum ?

The main reason for me bringing it up at this moment in time, is due to a certain member who has been getting up just about everyones nose of late.. :inquisiti And now they have realised they have pi$$ed everyone off well and truly.. They have started to use invisibility mode so they can't be seen to be online /pan Hiding and skulking around in the background and just popping up to post there comments..
:inquisiti

Anyway... If they want to be sneaky then so be it.. But i just thought i'd add my Two Penneth as this is a Public forum for everyone to discuss current matters in public..

Close the thread if it's deemed to be pointless and inapropriate :speechles

I'm done on here :inquisiti

Nick Mann
24-12-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm always up for a friendly and logical discussion, Wodj! I was just wondering what your thoughts were as to why it is a bad idea.

I think I understand now, but I'm not sure what difference it makes if someone who annoys people is invisible or not?

Turbo_Steve
24-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Definitely not Cack, Wodj: have seen too many forums have a total change of attitude when the cars themselves hit a certain price point: I'm not having a go at you at all: it happens to the whole forum dynamic. Interestingly, it's usually around the time when it's cheap to buy to break the cars up. Seen it happen with Zeds, Scoobs, has started to happen with Skyline forums of late too. As Throbbe say: at some point the marque starts to become a "labour of love" and then the forum dynamic changes again. It's totally subconcious, and of all the Clubs, CVR4 is the least bitchy, nasty or competitive, I think because most people have thought about what they want from these cars, rather than "MAX POWER POSSE". I definitely consider this a place of fairly thoughtful and considered posts: just look at the post quality compared to the more 'popular' forums. Maybe I am being stuck up, but half of the appeal of vr-4s is their stealth, and the other half is their practicality, which means, IMO a slightly more thoughtful kind person.

So someone wants to keep a low profile? They're welcome IMO. Hey, there's always a dark horse at every party :o). It's not going to change the nature of the responses, and that's what counts.
Anything else is just appearances, and you're not objecting to my pug-ugly mush LOL.

-shrug- no one's having a pop at you: just disagreeing. Why so defensive?

ANTHONY
24-12-2008, 03:57 PM
This place gets worse ??

only one thing to say to that.........
'Tis the season to be jolly, fa la la la la, la la la la:evilgrin:

Fully
24-12-2008, 09:32 PM
You carnt turn it off, it is built into the forum software :p

Its a feature/security used with the use cable modems. Most modems are on 24/7. A site would think that you are on there site 24/7.
I use it all the time, I becomes a habbit after a while to just click invisable mode :/