PDA

View Full Version : Prop Shaft Questions

MikeKey
25-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Does anyone have any pictures of how everything should look/fit together on the prop shaft? I couldn't find any workshop manual pages for it in the members section.

Also, besides the universal joints and rubber mountings, there's a big alloy-looking coupling near the middle of the shaft with lots of bolts holding it together. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Cheers!

scott.mohekey
25-12-2008, 08:02 PM
There's nothing in the members section about it because the english workshop manual doesn't cover any 4WD models.

Nick Mann
25-12-2008, 08:28 PM
There are two brackets holding the bearings IIRC, and the shaft fits into the transfer box on splines.

I didn't notice enough about it to comment much further though. Why do you want to know?

MikeKey
25-12-2008, 09:58 PM
There's a universal joint right behind the transfer box followed by a length of shaft, then another UJ just before a big rubber-looking mounting supported by a bracket, which presumably also contains a bearing. This shaft ends in a small (splined?) shaft which fits into the bolted alloy bit I was talking about. After this comes another mounting bracket, then a final run of shaft before you get to the rear diff.

So:

Xfer Box [UJ====UJ][Bearing?====]-Alloy Part=Bearing?==== Rear Diff

I did take some photos but I don't seem to be able to upload them :inquisiti

GT40-Steven
26-12-2008, 12:47 AM
Check the size (both pixle width/height and filesize) the forum has a limitation on the attchment size. If I had not been at my gf's place I could that a screenshot from CAPS of the prop shaft parts for you. Maybe someone else?

MikeKey
26-12-2008, 02:00 AM
Check the size (both pixle width/height and filesize) the forum has a limitation on the attchment size. If I had not been at my gf's place I could that a screenshot from CAPS of the prop shaft parts for you. Maybe someone else?

The download problem is something to do with my PC/network/browser, I've not been able to upload anything for a while, no matter what size.

It'd be muchly appreciated if someone with CAPS could take a look :) I used to have it but I'm b******d if I can find it...

MikeKey
26-12-2008, 04:09 AM
OK, I re-downloaded CAPS and found the unknown part just couples the centre and rear sections of the prop shaft. CAPS doesn't refer to the exact part name, but various combinations of its component parts are referred to as "JOINT KIT, PROPELLER SHAFT" (31032) and "BOOT KIT, PROPELLER SHAFT" (31031).

It looks like two flanges sandwiching a centre section, all bolted together with 6 bolts. The centre prop shaft fits into splines in the front flange, and the rear shaft into the splined centre section. The rear flange butts up against the rear bearing.

It seems like a lot of trouble to go to just to join two splined shafts which could just as easily have been bolted together. Does it serve a special purpose besides simply coupling the shafts?

I wanted to know out of curiousity really. I'm still trying to hunt down the source of my drivetrain knocking noises so wanting to find out as much about the prop shaft and where to look for potential problems as possible!

MikeKey
26-12-2008, 01:34 PM
It appears from the CAPS diagrams that it should be possible to drop the centre and rear sections of the propshaft out in one go by unbolting the two bearings, then the rear UJ from the diff flange, and the front UJ from the flange on the end of the centre shaft. Anyone done this?

Presumably as long as the front shaft is supported and stays put in the transfer case, there shouldn't be any problem? :inquisiti

MikeKey
01-01-2009, 02:52 PM
I found out what that alloy coupling on the propshaft with the 6 bolts through it is! It's a Lobro joint, as described here: http://www.stealth316.com/2-awd6.htm

Nick Mann
01-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Excellent sleuthing there!

Have you got any further with the diagnosis? You're teaching me along the way too.