PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Internals

eyedol
26-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Just found some of my old pictures and thought you guys may find this interesting...

The attached pitures are of some of the internals of my old Tip Tronic Gearbox.

This is what happens when you dont use the right fluids, dont use aftermarket ATF cooler and decide to hammer it all the time :P So listen to people when they tell you only use amsoil or mitsi ATF because they say this for a reason :) !!! LOL

No warning at all... just turned on the car went to drive away from a job and it just kept jolting forward and making rattling noises.

Drove out onto the road and the rattling turned into really really loud banging and the jolting got worse moments later I lost all drive in all gears including reverse.

Got quoted $4500 minimum for repairs so I got a second hand one and rebuilt it myself... Worked out so much cheaper, but definatly not something I want to happen again.

There was a hell of alot more metal chunks in the box and more internal parts munched but I cant find those photos, Diff and Torque converter were also useless after this.

Turbo_Steve
26-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Whoa.

eyedol
26-12-2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah I thought I did a pretty good job :)

thfelipeth
27-12-2008, 07:02 AM
holly crack that's munttified! damn..... alright so mitsubishi fluid it is...

eyedol
29-03-2012, 11:41 PM
Well thats depressing, I come back after all these years to view my shattered gearbox internals lol

Davezj
29-03-2012, 11:48 PM
i think that is what my old gear box will look like when i get round to opening up for a laugh. mine made grinding noises in 1, 2, 3, but 4, 5 were silent and and still silky smooth so i think mine a
has gone on the first plantry gear set.

eyedol
01-04-2012, 11:43 PM
PHOTOS!!! :D It would make me feel heaps better that im not the only one haha

`TiTo
08-06-2012, 08:46 PM
could you please tell me what is the sound and driving situation after the gerbox turn like this ?

wintertidenz
08-06-2012, 09:34 PM
You won't be able to drive. If you're lucky all you will get is a loud bang and a few crunches, then lose all gears.