PDA

View Full Version : VR4 Engine Runs But No Drive

eddievr4
28-12-2008, 06:29 PM
After doing an engine swap there is no drive from the car. It has an automatic gearbox. All seemed to mate up correctly. As far as I am aware everything is connected. Have I forgotten anything stupid or could the torque converter somehow have become damaged.

bradc
28-12-2008, 09:00 PM
When you select a gear and accelerate does the speedo go up? Is there any change in engine rpm when you select reverse or drive? Can you manually select 1st, then 2nd in tiptronic mode?

Turbo_Steve
28-12-2008, 09:47 PM
And do the lights on the dashboard change?

I'm feeling an absent multiplug here.

Nick Mann
28-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Did you put the bolts back in through the window under the sump?

Is the T/C rotateable through that window with the bolts undone?

Both of these are a bit more difficult to check than previous ideas above, though....

Turbo_Steve
29-12-2008, 12:56 PM
...but more likely to accurately diagnose the problem :D

Subaru ETA
30-12-2008, 09:47 AM
yeah i agree with the torque converter bolts

eddievr4
30-12-2008, 02:53 PM
When you select a gear and accelerate does the speedo go up? Is there any change in engine rpm when you select reverse or drive? Can you manually select 1st, then 2nd in tiptronic mode?

The speedo does not go up. After the engine has warmed up and the revs have settled to normal tickover rpm there is a very slight change in rpm when you select reverse or drive. I can select 1st then 2nd in tiptronic mode.

eddievr4
30-12-2008, 02:54 PM
And do the lights on the dashboard change?

I'm feeling an absent multiplug here.

The lights on the dashboard do change.

Nutter_John
30-12-2008, 02:55 PM
You may have an air lock in the TC , or the TC could be foobar'd

did you get the TC with the gearbox or is it your old one

eddievr4
30-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Did you put the bolts back in through the window under the sump?

Is the T/C rotateable through that window with the bolts undone?

Both of these are a bit more difficult to check than previous ideas above, though....

Hoping to check this on Wednesday will let you know. Thanks for the idea.

eddievr4
01-01-2009, 04:17 PM
You may have an air lock in the TC , or the TC could be foobar'd

did you get the TC with the gearbox or is it your old one

This is the original TC that was in the car and working fine before the engine swap

Eurospec
02-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Depending on removal technique the torque converter may have walked off the splines on the gearbox input shaft.

The converter has to sit down fully into the bell housing, otherwise it doenst quite enguage the splines. Worst case these will strip if they arent seated properly, or best it willl just bounce round in there and whir like a good un.

Cheers,

Ben.

Nick Mann
02-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Worst case scenario is a bit worse than that. If the splines don't engage and you tighten up the bell housing, the input shaft will crack the oil pump housing on the box.

I'd like to say that I don't speak from experience......

Subaru ETA
03-01-2009, 01:37 AM
that said i wouldnt think the engine would turn if that was the case would it?

well thats the case with mazdas - if the torque converter isnt all the way home it just locks up when you go to turn the engine by hand