PDA

View Full Version : To all those fitting HID's

adzgti
29-12-2008, 12:34 AM
I have three items for you!

1: 15mm pipe lagging
2: Tap Washers and.......
3: Scissors

What a nightmare I had fitting this blooming things! No doubt you's have came across this problem already however it was quite unexpected for me. Mitsubishi in their infinate wisdom using H7 converters from an H4 plug type /Grrr . Anywho, after giving up on the first attempt as I nearly got my hands trapped on numerous occassions, I had a plan.

Off to B&Q I went for some plumbers pipe lagging. 15mm's the best to use as the 22mm stuff is too large to fit around the H7 bulb's base. I also picked up some handy tap washers.

Now if you offer up the H7 bulb, you can use this as a template to simply cut the pipe lagging into shape. simplying insert the bulb into the hollow part of the lagging and trim accordingly untill you have a like wise OEM style spacer. Attach this to the back side of your HID bulb and press into your bulb holder. Now for the tricky part. I used some tap washers on the back of each spacer(once in situe) as so the headlights spring clip would have something level to hold against. I must admit that this is very tricky however doing it this way will stop the spring clips from digging into the pipe lagging.

After doing this, I found that it was easy to alter the beam pattern also. as the pipe lagging is spongey, you can use numerous tap washer to raise and lower the beam without having to remove the bulb nor spacer. I've had no problems with this so far and as for the heat these bulbs produce, the lagging is more than capable of taking it plus some.

However I have noticed my headlight beam bounces all over the place once im driving on the motorway or bumpy roads. upon further investigation, I can physically move the headlight unit up and down. My guess is that they havent been fitted properly after the front mount and ATF cooler was plumbed in, either that or someone's snapped some clips somewhere prehaps? dont know if this is a common problem or not?

Anyway, I thought I'd share my finds with you guys, I hope its of some help to someone.

Cheers Adz

elnevio
29-12-2008, 08:19 AM
HID installs are a common wish-list item - some pics would be most helpful!

Turbo_Steve
29-12-2008, 08:53 AM
Hmm...this is interesting.
On mine, the Passenger side light went straight in and clamped properly, no issues, but the drivers side refuses point blank to stay in place: the spring clip isn't exerting enoguh pressure to stay in place.
I keep wondering if I've had a headlight changed?

adzgti
29-12-2008, 08:55 AM
I'll try and get some sorted for you matey, but wow what a difference they make to your vision! fantastic investment for antone to make I'd say.

adzgti
29-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Turbo Steve - I had the same problem on both sides with my VR4. But as the lagging compresses it takes up any slack and the bulb will not move/twist in position (depending if you have the new type HID or the older type with the round holders. Is there not a difference between the UK headlights to the JDM ones?

elnevio
29-12-2008, 10:26 AM
From changing the bulbs on both my old V6 and on the VR-4 - they both seem the same at the rear of the headlight unit. The difference is at the front, as the JDM cars have one-piece polycarbonate lenses, whereas the UK cars have two-piece (i.e. separate indicator) glass items.

Fully
30-12-2008, 10:06 PM
You carn't get the correct light pattern using the standard defuser, how are you getting around this?
Or are UK MOT standards different to ours?

Turbo_Steve
31-12-2008, 09:35 AM
MOT testers just aren't very thorough?

I've actually had her follow me with the HIDs on, and they are simply too bright, as you say...very dazzling when someone is following you. So I suspect they need to go over the main beam, and restore dipped to Halogens for now: I honestly can't see mine passing. The beam pattern is actuaally pretty good, it's the light scatter that seems to be the issue.

I don't want projectors, as they will just look bugly behind the sharky headlights.

A bit gutted TBH.

HID foglights work superbly, though......heavy fog a few days ago, headlights off completely, only fogs on....could see waaaay better!