PDA

View Full Version : galant 2.0 gls 99 (T) reg.- Gearbox removal query.

hobs
31-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi all,

I bought this Galant at auction just to keep me mobile when my old car failed its M.O.T., but it sounds like the input shaft bearing is on its way out.

Is repairing it a practical proposition for a reasonably competent D.I.Y. mechanic? What sort of price are the parts?

I'll probably stick a new clutch in at the same time if the price isn't too high, can any-one recommend a supplier?

There's also a problem with the A.B.S., but I'll put that in another post.

Is there much info on this model in the full members section or is it aimed more at the VR4? I've never owned a Mitsubishi before and the car came without even a handbook so I dont mind parting with £20 for a bit more knowledge!

Nick Mann
31-12-2008, 06:35 PM
There is a technical library, with many articles and service documents. The service stuff is more aimed at UK cars than the VR4. The VR4 service manuals have only just been translated into English!

The job is do-able by a relatively competent mechanic, IMO. I'm afraid I can't recommend any suppliers though. Richy Rich has done the job you are talking about though, so it may be worth a PM to him to find out where he got parts from.

hobs
31-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks Nick,
I did see some stuff by Richy Rich (and others) when I searched the forums but could find nothing definitive. Is there a how-to on this in the members section?
Looks like I'll be signing up!

Nick Mann
01-01-2009, 02:19 PM
There's no how to for a FWD model, but I'm sure anyone with a bit of knowledge could adapt the how to remove the gearbox for the VR4.

I notice you are now in blue, so if you click the library link near the top of the page, you can then click manual gearbox and then workshop manual. This gives you a good manual showing torque settings, internal box assembly etc.

hobs
09-01-2009, 12:48 AM
Thanks again Nick,
I found some info, the job doesn't look too technical but I just haven't the time to do it.

Far easier to stick it back through the auction, which is a pity as (A) I like the car and (B) I just spent £20 signing up here!

Guess I'll just have to buy another Mitsu!

shaun1978
11-01-2009, 04:47 AM
I put a clutch in my GLS last year, costed roughly £120 for the kit.

HMG1K
11-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Welcome along to the club!

Maybe send a Private Message to Zeddy1, Wodjno or psbarham for parts availability.

You'll have a fab car once it's sorted!