PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Oil Cooler / Temperature Gauge

elnevio
31-12-2008, 08:16 PM
I am looking to get a cooler installed prior to JapFest in May, and previous threads just say that a standard Mocal jobbie should do the trick. The first result from Google was this: http://www.thinkauto.com/acatalog/On_line_shop_Oil_Cooler_Kits_for_automatic_transmi ssions_29.html

Now, it seems there are three different hose sizes on there - 5/16", 3/8" and 1/2". Which size are the ones on the VR-4?

And, while I'm at it, where is the best place to install the sender for an ATF temperature gauge?

TIA!

chris g
31-12-2008, 08:41 PM
I have started looking more seriously at an ATF cooler so responses to your post will be interesting...

bradc
31-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Hmm, I'd like to see pictures first myself

elnevio
31-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Off their website is the generic page: http://www.thinkauto.com/automatic.htm

Looks similar to the one in Enigma's installation article.

Turbo_Steve
01-01-2009, 12:23 AM
That looks quite wide: If you can, I would suggest going for something slightly taller and narrower. It can then be fitted behind one of the foglight grilles, where it will be better protected from impacts and will not share airflow with the radiator, intercooler and aircon units.

For the temperature gauge, there are two ways of looking at this. You can either tap the box at the point where the fluid is likely to be getting hottest (no idea where this would be) or you could simply put an adaptor into the pipe just before your oil cooler. This will tell you what temperature the oil is leaving the box at, which should be a good indicator of how well your additional cooling is working.

One of the easiest ways to do this is probably use a "Fuel pressure sensor pipe", designed to go inline with your fuel pipe, but should fit inline with one of these and accept a temp sensor.

elnevio
01-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Ta Steve.

I am wondering if there would be much interest in a group buy? Must be a few people considering this?

PaddyB
01-01-2009, 01:11 AM
It's on my list of things to do - I'd be interested in any group buy.

Turbo_Steve
01-01-2009, 01:25 AM
I'd be more interested in monitoring my temps than cooling at this stage.....pf course, one might lead to the other........

elnevio
01-01-2009, 01:28 AM
I'd be more interested in monitoring my temps than cooling at this stage.....pf course, one might lead to the other........
Well, I'd like to do that first! Back to my original post - what's the best place to install a temperature sender?

Turbo_Steve
01-01-2009, 02:25 AM
I've had a look, and I reckon one of these in the "hot" pipe from the mission to the rad is what you need. Your sensor can just sit in the hot flow.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WATER-TEMP-SENSOR-HOSE-ADAPTOR-SIZES-FROM-28mm-TO-40mm_W0QQitemZ360120557760QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item360120557760&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

keithatport
01-01-2009, 02:35 AM
I would also be interested in a group buy.

Cheers

PaddyB
01-01-2009, 03:34 AM
I've had a look, and I reckon one of these in the "hot" pipe from the mission to the rad is what you need. Your sensor can just sit in the hot flow.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WATER-TEMP-SENSOR-HOSE-ADAPTOR-SIZES-FROM-28mm-TO-40mm_W0QQitemZ360120557760QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item360120557760&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

Easier & defo cheaper that a cooler - what size do i need ??

fluffnik
01-01-2009, 05:10 AM

I'm looking at Alpine driving - unconditional ATF cooling is fine by me... :)

elnevio
01-01-2009, 09:58 AM
I think those in-line adapters are too big for the ATF pipes, just need something similar-sized to our ATF pipes. And sorry Steve, I completely missed the part of your first post regarding the temperature sender! /dunce

I think that an ordinary oil temperature gauge will do the job? I have seen the occasional tranmission temp gauge though...

As regards the cooler, I will have a hunt around, and then probably edit this thread into a 'possible group buy' one. Watch this space. I take it no-one's in any real rush at this stage?

Turbo_Steve
01-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Sorry: read those adaptors as 2.8mm not 28mm......d'oh!

elnevio
03-01-2009, 11:45 AM
This is the sort of transmission temperature gauge kit available in the US:

http://www.ipmart.com/main/product/BM,80212,Transmission,Temperature,Gauge,Kit,55809. php?prod=55809

Amazon.com do it for about $48, but won't ship it to the UK.

This kit would therefore cost around £65 to deliver to your door (although a group buy on this could be beneficial in terms of carriage...).

It seems to have everything, and includes a thermostat so that the cooler is effectively bypassed until the atf reaches 80C. Unfortunately (well, maybe not for some :)), the gauge only reads in Fahrenheit, although I don't see why you couldn't install a different gauge with this kit.

I just haven't found an installation kit anywhere else!

Steve - what sort of size cooler do you think would be best for behind the foglight grill, and how would you mount it? I'm still tempted to install the cooler in front of the rad, as per Dave's article.

peter thomson
03-01-2009, 12:01 PM
I'd be keen for another cooler as well which I would use for the power steering or swap with the transmission cooler I have already if it is better.
The people with a facelifts would have to mount the cooler in the usual place rather than behind the foglight grilles though. We would have to make sure the cooler was suitable for either location.

http://www.ipmart.com/main/product/BM,80212,Transmission,Temperature,Gauge,Kit,55809. php?prod=55809

This kit would therefore cost around £65 to deliver to your door (although a group buy on this could be beneficial in terms of carriage...).

It seems to have everything, and includes a thermostat so that the cooler is effectively bypassed until the atf reaches 80C. Unfortunately (well, maybe not for some :)), the gauge only reads in Fahrenheit, although I don't see why you couldn't install a different gauge with this kit.

I just haven't found an installation kit anywhere else!

Steve - what sort of size cooler do you think would be best for behind the foglight grill, and how would you mount it? I'm still tempted to install the cooler in front of the rad, as per Dave's article.

peter thomson
03-01-2009, 12:05 PM
$50 from these guys and they ship outside of the US

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=BMM-80212

chris g
03-01-2009, 04:42 PM
But exactly which ATF cooler(s) will fit the VR-4...?

g8legnum
03-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Mocal are probably the best source of ATF coolers in the UK. They also do an oilstat that will control the access of the ATF fluid into the cooler, so that you don't over cool the fluid and the oilstat has the provision for the fitting of an electrical temp sender - so all problems solved in one go! Web site is http://www.thinkauto.com

Davezj
03-01-2009, 08:33 PM
i was looking in to fitting a auto trans temp gauge.

i have the gauge and sensor and metal block with input and output comection suitable but the temp sensor has a 1/8 or 3/8 bsp thread, i think, which is a tappered thread and all my taps are M series (M2- M12).

Can you get the tappered thread tapes?

elnevio
04-01-2009, 09:29 AM
I think most gauge senders are 1/8 BSP, and not usually tapered.

I am struggling to see which of their oil stats have a 1/8 BSP threaded hole for sensor placement?

And does anyone know what size the ATF pipes are?

I am envisaging the following set-up:

Temperature Gauge
In-line sensor placed in the return line from the gearbox.

Transmission Cooler
Oil stat placed between the return and feed lines (after the temp sensor above), which then feeds the oil cooler mounted in front of the main radiator.

It should be noted that the B&M gauge kit has a built-in thermostat, which would negate the requirement for a separate stat. I am inclined to get the B&M gauge kit, and just to fit a different gauge that measures in Centigrade.

I don't like the idea of tapping the gearbox housing for the temperature sensor - might be fine, but I think most people like the idea of a simple in-line type of installation, or using a port that already exists.

As for the Mocal coolers, their price-list seems a little expensive - with a look around, I'm sure that we can get a cooler kit in the region of £50-60, rather than the £90 or so as quoted. Although obviously no group buy enquiries have been made yet.

chris g
04-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Having looked at the Mocal oil coolers, I have no idea about size of cooler, pipes, connectors or whatever is required...

elnevio
04-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Looking in Enigma's original installation article (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19516), you can see the style of cooler used. It looks about 15" by 8" or so. I don't think we need one this big!

The good news is that we can use almost any size of cooler. I think that something around 11" by 7" would be more than sufficient? Any thoughts on that?

Here's an example on eBay: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19516 (EDIT: no it's not - that's the cooler article! /dunce)

On which point, it seems that we're more likely to get these cheaper from the States! Surely there must be somewhere that can do a decent cooler over here for around £40 or so?

unwritten-dinasty
10-01-2009, 08:05 PM
I have this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HAYDEN-1401-TRANSMISSION-OIL-COOLER-FOR-COMPACT-CARS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a570Q7c66Q3a2 Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3 a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem 370134228857QQitemZ370134228857QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5 fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
installed on my VR-4 in the front grille. Has been superb so far. I have it installed after the OEM cooler as i live in the caribbean and its 100degrees all year long here.

elnevio
10-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Now that is one I've seen on eBay. And someone has already installed the very same one! Excellent!

Do you have a temperature gauge installed too? And do you have any before and after readings for comparisons?

And of course, any pics? They would be really useful.

As for the process generally, I was going to suggest that there needs to be two stages for this: 1) The purchase and install of a temperature gauge; and 2) The purchase and install of the cooler itself.

If we agree on a kit for either, then I can enquire about group purchasing - even if it only saves a chunk of postage. Especially if stuff is coming from the States.

Stage 1 could take place say by the end of Feb, with the cooler stage to be finished by about mid-April? Just throwing some ideas around, so comments are appreciated! I don't think that anyone is in a massive rush. Especially as the first (likely for most that are interested) track session is JapFest in may, and the weather up until April will be freezing!

unwritten-dinasty
10-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Later on il install my boost controller, i'll take a few pics of the cooler as well.

I didnt install a Temperature gauge cause like i said, i live in the caribbean and its hot all damn year long and i dont want to stress myself knowing how hot is that ATF in there, so i just installed it and have some kind of rest knowing that i am getting much better cooling than stock ;)

elnevio
10-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Later on il install my boost controller, i'll take a few pics of the cooler as well.

I didnt install a Temperature gauge cause like i said, i live in the caribbean and its hot all damn year long and i dont want to stress myself knowing how hot is that ATF in there, so i just installed it and have some kind of rest knowing that i am getting much better cooling than stock ;)
Ok, no probs! Pics would be useful, certainly as you have sited the cooler in a different place to that as shown in enigma's article. Thanks for your input!

unwritten-dinasty
10-01-2009, 08:53 PM
I put it in the same place as Osiri's. In the front grille (where the VR-4 logo is).

chris g
10-01-2009, 09:20 PM
After checking with Kieran I ended up with the same as him:

Fluidyne EXTRA HD Transmission Cooler Kit

From eBay - worked out at AFAIK £21 plus postage

elnevio
10-01-2009, 09:23 PM
After checking with Kieran I ended up with the same as him:

Fluidyne EXTRA HD Transmission Cooler Kit

From eBay - worked out at AFAIK £21 plus postage
Was that from the States too Chris, or closer to home?

Turbo_Steve
10-01-2009, 09:34 PM
IF you want to check out the 500bhp auto thread, there's been some discussion around the factory sensor in the gearbox, which potentially would give us some temps? Totally uncalibrated, of course, but I would have thought even an approximation is a good guide, and potentially very cheap.

We'd need someone with a wrecked gearbox to pull the sensor out and try it at diferent temps to get some idea of calibration. Or to send me their sensor and I'll do it! LOL

This would also allow the use of something like this (or cheaper) whereby the display could be slotted in next to the clock or similar (with a bit of basic butchery :) )

elnevio
10-01-2009, 09:45 PM
I've been looking at the parts/instructions pdf (http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/bmm-80212.pdf) for that gauge from the states.

I reckon that it would be easier to get a t-piece such as that in the kit, and then plumb in a regular oil pressure gauge (in Centigrade!). Then it can be obtained from the UK, and match any existing gauges!

If so, I could do with working out exactly which t-piece is required. Probably easiest for everyone to then get their own t-piece and gauge kit.

But could still do the group buy on the cooler kit.

I've found the cooler kit mentioned by Chris: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V8-Genuine-Fluidyne-EXTRA-HD-Transmission-Cooler-Kit-Co_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em63Q2el1177QQ hashZitem360082009356QQitemZ360082009356QQptZMotor sQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

How's this sound instead?

chris g
10-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Using link from Kieran, I bought it from the States...

Other bits to complete fitting will have to be obtained after delivery...

Kieran
10-01-2009, 10:24 PM
One thing to mention - The Fluidyne cooler I've suggested is massively over specced for what we need (I did record the BTU rejection rating of the stock coolers somwhere on here) - However, this is perhaps wise for a couple of reasons:

It'll help mitigate the effects of less than ideal airflow (You only get the rated cooling if the entire cooler core is exposed to airflow)
Having the Fluidyne plumbed in before the stock cooler means that the fluidyne takes most of the heat out, meaning the stock cooler shifts role slightly to more of a temperature stabiliser - Which in turn takes pressure off of the engine coolant system.

So yeah, it's a good choice - And at that price, a bargain!

elnevio
10-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Well, I think you've probably sealed our choice! :thumbsup:

I figured it was over-specced given that it's supposedly rated for motorhomes, American ones at that!

It's got everything we need in that kit, yes?

chris g
10-01-2009, 11:14 PM
From my uneducated viewing of the pics attached to the cooler on eBay, it seems that we will need some pipes and maybe t'other stuff to fasten it all togerher...

Kieran
10-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Chris is right, the 'Kit' is just the cooler and some bits to mount it to the radiator. You'll need a bit of hose and some jubilee clips - And perhaps a bit of foam to stop the hose chafing.

chris g
10-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Plus the comments from Kieran about fitting...

elnevio
11-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Hose is included, as per the description, and the jubilee clips are in the pic!

enigma used a short length of the hose to prevent chafing.

Turbo_Steve
11-01-2009, 12:08 AM
Looks good (especially at that price) but if possible I'd still try and put it behind the foglight and away from the existing cooling. RHS for mission cooler. LHS for engine oil cooler. My concern is that the more you put in the main aperture, the less airflow the rad, condensor and intercooler may get. I suppose it depends how far you're planning to take things....?

elnevio
25-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Just looking to finalise this one way or another.

I would like to get an ATF temp gauge - but I think I'll bin this idea for now.

I am however thinking of organising a group buy, although I'm not convinced there's enough interest and actual savings to be made.

This is the intended cooler: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V8-Genuine-Fluidyne-EXTRA-HD-Transmission-Cooler-Kit-Co_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713Q2em153Q2el1262Q QcategoryZ46095QQihZ023QQitemZ360148586894

It includes everything (including hose, although that's not in the pictures) to install the cooler.

The item itself is $33.90, and shipping per item is $45.50 to the UK. $79.40 in total is about £55 total to your door.

Given that the cooler is ridiculously cheap anyway, I can't see that much in the way of a group discount is available. On his previous thread, he said he would ship two of these to the UK for around $66, so say we ordered five, and those added an average of $15 each to the shipping, total shipping would be $111, i.e. an average of $22 per item. Therefore, each individual's cost would be approx $56, i.e. about £40 each, but before inland delivery costs. Now this would be around £8 each, so a total price of £48. Versus the direct to you door from the seller of about £55.

The clincher could be that if the seller sends items in bulk, they are more likely to be liable for import costs, AFAIK, whereas single items are more pot luck, although I've never had singular items opened by Customs. So the £48 bulk buy price could well increase by Customs costs.

In view of this, I think the group buy idea should be ditched in respect of the cooler, and we should go ahead and order our own individually. I'm happy for a kit that costs me £55 all in!

If there is sufficient interest before the weekend is out, then maybe a reconsideration is on the cards, but will depend on your feedback!

Cheers

elnevio
29-04-2009, 08:40 PM
I've ordered mine now! Total of £54. Hopefully get it with enough time to fit prior to Japfest!

elnevio
06-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Current statu: "Your item is being processed by customs in GREAT BRITAIN"

Hopefully this doesn't mean much extra cost for me!!

Anyway, I have a question which has not been answered by a fairly thorough dredge of just about every transmission cooler thread on CVR4, including BDA's article on installing the cooler:

Should I prime the cooler with ATF before connecting the pipes? Or should I install it as is, then just add ATF as necessary through the dipstick/fill pipe? I have one of Amsoil's oil pump gizmos to help with getting ATF into the fill pipe. BTW, I think my ATF *may* be a little high - as I have always struggled to get a decent reading on the dipstick (always looks too much), and yes, I have been performing the reading correctly, i.e. hot ATF, level surface (although not checked with a calibrated spirit level :P), cycled through gears to leave in N with engine running when measuring.

peter thomson
06-05-2009, 10:07 PM
I didn't prime my cooler and as it is a" return "pipe there should not be any need Nev

elnevio
31-05-2009, 01:14 PM
All fitted without leaks! :D

The three pictures are:

1) Kit as received - nice black cooler!
2) Installed - picture through removed grille
3) Shot from the passenger side, of the U pipe location used to install the cooler pipes

Once I got down to JapFest, I topped the ATF with another half a litre.

orionn2o
01-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Good work there Nev.

Think i'm going to jump on this wagon too... Have you got anymore pics with respect to intercooler positions etc? Reason being, i need to fit this alongside an uber intercooler!

Nutter_John
01-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Fit it behind your passenger side fog ligth and make up a shroud to force air through it

Turbo_Steve
01-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Indeed, that's my current plan. Just trying to pick up a rear diff cooler from a 300ZX (unfotunately they seem to be rocking horse sh1t as they were only on UK models) as it is the PERFECT size.

elnevio
01-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Although there IS stacks of room behind the foglight! So you could fit quite a varying size range of coolers.

The radiator position is easy to affix, harder to put in, but the foglight position is probably better if you already have an upgraded intercooler, or want to keep the skin on your knuckles.

If I did this again, I'd probably use the foglight position - it's just the additional fixings required to install it that I couldn't be bothered with!

Turbo_Steve
01-06-2009, 06:03 PM
When I looked at it, it looked like a 90deg steel bracket and a couple of bits of "mechano" to stabilise it. Then, as John says, it'd be best to put a shroud in front, and possibly one behind.

Some enterprising Japanese mechanic has already cut a big hole in the passengers arch liner, so ducting the warm air away to a bit of mesh in the wheelarch would seem prudent. Potentially there is enough room for an engine oil cooler in there too!

miller
01-06-2009, 06:10 PM
I need to do this mod soon, i can feel a techy day at my place soon!

elnevio
01-06-2009, 06:12 PM
When I looked at it, it looked like a 90deg steel bracket and a couple of bits of "mechano" to stabilise it. Then, as John says, it'd be best to put a shroud in front, and possibly one behind.

Some enterprising Japanese mechanic has already cut a big hole in the passengers arch liner, so ducting the warm air away to a bit of mesh in the wheelarch would seem prudent. Potentially there is enough room for an engine oil cooler in there too!
That's a pretty decent idea Steve.

I think it would be wise to have a fairly small ATF cooler, otherwise a larger one could be too efficient there, and not allow the ATF to get up to operating temperature. At least on the radiator, you get some conductive heating of the cooler. I would certainly recommend the addition of a thermostat.

Turbo_Steve
01-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Ah....I was going to leave the factory one in place and either have a thermostatic switch valve, or maybe just one that pops over when the boost / throttle increases past a certain point. 1Bar pressure switches aren't too difficult to buy, neither are electric valves.

Mark 4
01-06-2009, 06:56 PM
You should organise a group by and get this

http://www.haydenauto.com/new-products/the-dawg.htm

swinks
01-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Nev, I assume you going now only on uprated cooler, not both: aftermarket and still radiator combo in-line?

What was dimensions of yours? It's just another mod on my "waiting-to-do-list" /Devil5

elnevio
01-06-2009, 11:56 PM
Nev, I assume you going now only on uprated cooler, not both: aftermarket and still radiator combo in-line?

What was dimensions of yours? It's just another mod on my "waiting-to-do-list" /Devil5
No - both are used, but the fluid flow goes from gearbox, to uprated cooler, to stock cooler in rad, back to gearbox. The idea is that the stock cooler acts as more of a temperature stabiliser. You can bypass the stock cooler quite easily. If you look at the third picture above, as you look at it, if you connect the right hand pipe of the top (and only remaining) upside-down U-pipe, and the right hand pipe of the lower (now not there on mine) upside-down U-pipe to the cooler, this bypasses the stock cooler.

Mine was this very item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V8-Genuine-Fluidyne-EXTRA-HD-Transmission-Cooler-Kit-Co_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZQ7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a 3Q7c294Q3a30QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQha shZitem56315cd49cQQitemZ370195354780QQptZMotorsQ5f CarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Although for information (i.e. for when the item has disappeared off eBay in a few months!), the text of the ad reads:

Brand New as Pictured! Complete kit includes all-aluminum cooler, mount kit and 36" of Premium Quality Goodyear 300 PSI working pressure 2X reinforced 3/8" ID hose/blue. Fluidyne Extra Heavy Duty Low Pressure Drop/High Flow is State-of-the-Art! 18,000 BTU; 25,000 lbs GVW Rating Automatic Transmission Cooler is only 1" thick. Overall Oil Cooler Measures 18" X 9"; Core measures 12 1/2" X 7". Hi-Tech Patented Design Provides Maximum Cooling Efficiency; up to 50% More Cooling Over Tube and Fin Coolers of the same size. 9 Pass X 9 Channel (81 rows) louvered fin design (see second picture) #10029 is for Motor Homes on down. Extra hose is optional for $2.30 more/foot. Ships USPS Priority Mail in the USA. All Other Buyers email for rate prior to purchase!

miller
17-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Cheers Nev, ive just ordered that same one! Not a bad price.

Mike

elnevio
17-06-2009, 11:16 AM
The total cost to me in the end was about £70, due to the VAT charge and customs handling fee. Which is still a good price though!

vr4-fan
17-06-2009, 02:33 PM
hi , try to buy this , fits good , and have the work

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190279646619&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

miller
08-04-2010, 03:39 PM
A word of warning on these kits, be ready to buy upgraded hose clips as the ones supplied just arent up to the job. mine are leaking at the cooler pins themselves and as i have found out since mine isnt the first.

I need to buy larger clamping area heavy duty jubilee clips. Can anyone remember off hand what the external diameter of the pipe is on these? 15mm?

Mike

Nutter_John
08-04-2010, 03:42 PM
you not use fuel line hose clamps as they offer a greater surface area and are designed to hold important lines so tend to be more manly

miller
08-04-2010, 03:45 PM
you not use fuel line hose clamps as they offer a greater surface area and are designed to hold important lines so tend to be more manly

Thats what i need to look out for to buy?. /GJ off to scour fleebay :D

Nutter_John
08-04-2010, 03:49 PM
this is the type I mean

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HOSE-CLIP-P1PE-CLAMP-FUEL-PETROL-COOLING-16MM-455-3160_W0QQitemZ390172906398QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5ad81e139e

you need to find the size of your hose though and make sure it is in the middle of the size range the clamps support

miller
08-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Just been out to car, the pipes have 3/8 marked on them which is 10mm. Looking at them with a tape measure i suspect that the 3/8 is internal diameter and that it is nearer 14-15mm external diameter.

So these clips should suffice, and seeing as i need four then this isnt too bad a price

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Petrol-Pipe-Clips-Fuel-Line-13mm-15mm-for-10mm-id-hose_W0QQitemZ270498335407QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3efaf50aaf

Mark 4
08-04-2010, 04:10 PM
I can get those for around 35p each if anyone is interested.

miller
08-04-2010, 04:35 PM
I can get those for around 35p each if anyone is interested.

I will have four please Mark. Send me your paypal address etc.

Cheers

oh here is pic of leak! :rolleyes4

elnevio
08-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Yes, mine started to leak not long after I installed it! :o

Tightened the clips up some more - no more leaky. Although I suspect the other ends have started to leak, judging by the ATF slowly dripping off the bottom of the car and the slight reduction in the ATF level! Gear changes are still good though... /yes More tightening required - or new clips later! :deal2:

Davezj
08-04-2010, 05:01 PM
oh this thread has remeinded me i need to do this before this jap fest. gauge, cooler, clips and mechano i have got, just need the tube.

Turbo_Steve
08-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Stupid question, but you're not using silicone hose, are you?

elnevio
08-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Me? No.

And it doesn't need tightening up, and my ATF level seems fine! I may need to investigate further!

Mark 4
08-04-2010, 08:23 PM
I will have four please Mark. Send me your paypal address etc.

Cheers

oh here is pic of leak! :rolleyes4

Be with you by the middle of next week Mr Miller.:chugchug:

miller
08-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Be with you by the middle of next week Mr Miller.:chugchug:

Muchos Gracias /drinkswine

You have my address I think?

Cheers

Mike

Mark 4
08-04-2010, 09:33 PM
No, I don't. PM me.

aboo
16-04-2010, 07:13 PM
A word of warning on these kits, be ready to buy upgraded hose clips as the ones supplied just arent up to the job. mine are leaking at the cooler pins themselves and as i have found out since mine isnt the first.

I need to buy larger clamping area heavy duty jubilee clips. Can anyone remember off hand what the external diameter of the pipe is on these? 15mm?

MikeJust fitted my one last Saturday & its leaking.
I will have to get new clips tomorrow & strip the front of the car down again./Hissy

Davezj
16-04-2010, 09:10 PM
gutted for you aboo, like me i am sure you hate doing thing twice, but at least you will be getting good at it.
Think of the valuable experience!

(Dave runs and hides)

aboo
16-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Its just that bloody bolt on the passenger side above the washer bottle for the bumper I'm not looking forward to Dave.

elnevio
16-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Have you got an uprated intercooler?

aboo
16-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Not yet Nev. Why do you ask?

elnevio
16-04-2010, 09:32 PM
I did my cooler without removing the bumper.

aboo
16-04-2010, 09:39 PM
I know what your saying Nev. Cause I had the whole front of the car of last weekend I put it as low as I could so the bumper will have to come off.:(

aboo
18-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Got the leak sorted out this morning. The clips that comes with the kit ( well mine anyway) are'nt up to the job.

When you tighten them up the srew bends the grove that tightens it up(hope that makes sence) & it slips.

I replaced them all with 13-15mm fuel line clips as was suggested earlier.

elnevio
18-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Got the leak sorted out this morning. The clips that comes with the kit ( well mine anyway) are'nt up to the job.

When you tighten them up the srew bends the grove that tightens it up(hope that makes sence) & it slips.

I replaced them all with 13-15mm fuel line clips as was suggested earlier.
Yep, know what you mean, Andy. Glad you've got it done! :thumbsup:

In case anyone was wondering about the fitting - I squeezed my cooler up through the gap between the radiator and intercooler, but need to loosen the intercooler bolts to get enough space at the bottom! Once it's in the gap, there's plenty of room for manoeuvre, even with a bigger FMIC. Although the gap at the bottom would be too big with an FMIC anyway...

elnevio
15-04-2016, 04:15 PM
Thread from the dead alert!!

I had a leak from one of the oil cooler hose connections to the standard pipework which would not seal, so I bypassed the cooler, effectively returning the system to stock. About three years ago!!

This was probably due to the supplied cooler pipework being a touch too large. Now, I've been busy with the measurements and I am putting these together in this post for future information.

The OD (outer diameter) of the stock PS (power steering) cooling loop is 10mm.

The OD of the gearbox cooling pipework is 8mm.

The gearbox cooler in the kit I purchased in 2009 has connections of 3/8" (~10mm), and the ID (inner diameter) of the supplied hose was the same.

The difference between the ID of supplied hose (10mm) and the OD of the gearbox pipework (8mm) is probably the cause of the leak. That combined with the boggo jubilee clips. It worked initially, but with a few heat cycles, the expansion and contraction looks to have ultimately led to the leak.

So, if you are looking at a gearbox cooler, I would suggest getting hold of a cooler with 5/16" (~8mm) OD connections, and using Mikalor style clamps.

I am going to use a pair of 10mm to 8mm reducers, new 8mm ID fuel injection hose, and new Mikalor-style clamps galore to refresh & reconnect the ATF cooler.

Well, that's the plan anyway! And my plans have a habit of taking up permanent residence on the back burner! :zzz: (I thought about making a procrastination smiley, but haven't gotten around to it...)

elnevio
08-05-2016, 02:43 PM
In a surprise turn of events, I have now made my amendments! Not tested it yet as I've not restarted the car. But hopefully good, and it was nice to have snugly fitting pipework.

Davezj
09-05-2016, 01:49 PM
This was my mistake also, i bought below that were 3/8" to put on the oil cooler and had to make a 3/8" to 8mm reducer. this has no stared to leak very slightly so i am going to try and find a proper 8mm fitting that will screw onto a standard mocal oil cooler.