PDA

View Full Version : EVO in to 8G

Big Ian
05-01-2009, 01:41 AM
what work & what part's would folk think is needed to convert a 8G to run on a EVO's 4G63?
apart from engine, loom, g/box
i wonder what driveshaft's would be best fit?

the reason i ask is i was away on saturday looking over my old Galant GLS and i'm considering about buying it back to convert in to it being more of a "not your usual GLS"

it's for sale very cheaply .. no tax or mot, owner is on a ban & need's it away, he's had it for 4-5 mth's and never drove it (due to his ban being extended)

it's basicly as it was when i sold it nearly 4 yrs ago except it's now a horid blue! .. engine and running gear are all fine at the moment.

The Vee
05-01-2009, 01:44 AM
There's a guy in Holland who's done it and it looks awesome. He may well bring it to Japfest (hope so). Not heard any running reports yet, but I think he used standard gearbox and shafts. Wish I could remember who it was/pan It was quite a recent post.

Kieran
05-01-2009, 01:50 AM
the reason i ask is i was away on saturday looking over my old Galant GLS and i'm considering about buying it back to convert in to it being more of a "not your usual GLS"

In it's current form, that car will be a bitter disappointment if you buy it. /yes

HOWEVER....

What you're thinking can and has been done - and it would be off the scale of Coolness.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35300

And I think it'd be awesome. If you do that though, that blue has to go in the bin... it looked lovely in silver when you still owned it - Sounded pretty good too!!:afro:

The Vee
05-01-2009, 01:58 AM
Aye that's the one K. Thought it was dutch driver but didn't leave the space in between when I searched/pan

bradc
05-01-2009, 02:00 AM
Still only going to be 2wd though

The Vee
05-01-2009, 02:01 AM
Still only going to be 2wd though

and>>>>>>>.........................../pan /pan :iloveyou:

Kieran
05-01-2009, 02:10 AM
Uh oh......./help

I feel.....light headed agai.............

>|

THE GOD OF GLS POWER APPROVES OF THIS THREAD, MORTAL.

Johny
05-01-2009, 05:54 AM
if one was to buy an evo which one would be the most transferable onto a galant?

bradc
05-01-2009, 06:15 AM
All 4-9 motors are basically the same and fit in the same way. A motor from a 9 is going to be a bit harder because of it's mivec unless you get the ecu too, and most 7-9's will have the ACD which may complicate things a LOT if you want to keep it 4wd and use the new gearbox.

I would also say that unless you have a bloody good reason (like Ian, but perhaps not like you Johny) that simply selling your existing car and buying a VR-4 is a better option.

Johny
05-01-2009, 06:35 AM
lol i dunno i just thought in an extreme circumstance like winning lotto itd be cool to take the viento and an evo gut the viento and transfer everything possible from the evo into the viento lol

ritch_w
05-01-2009, 08:40 AM
conversion looks fairly straight forward (in my uneducated view) as long as you have the ECU and any related electrical gubbins the engine should slot in on the same GLS mounts etc.

Wiring up the ecu etc may require an auto electrician. Fitting all the turbo related gubbins, intercooler and associated gubbins might involve some head scratching an fabrication of brackets etc - not impossible.

If you do go for it, try to get as much of the front end of the evo as you can so all the wee footery bits and bobs are there if you need them!

one other thing as K says, the last time i seen the car - it will be a disappointment/let down in its current form as it hasnt been looked after to the standards you lavished on it. All the same if its cheap cheap cheap, it will be a super project!!!!

stuartturbo
05-01-2009, 08:49 AM
dont forget Jun?? did it with the 4wd

stuartturbo
05-01-2009, 09:00 AM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27856&highlight=jun+legnum

http://www.skylinesdownunder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39320&page=2

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82...s/dscf0565.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82...JUNGALANT1.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82.../JUNGALANT.jpg
this went onto receive a 4g63 lump

Turbo_Steve
05-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Does the GLS have the VR-4s transmission hump?

chris g
05-01-2009, 10:40 AM
And if you want all the engine/electricals etc, FRONT CUTS in Australia IIRC sell that sort of thing...

Kieran
05-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Does the GLS have the VR-4s transmission hump?

No, but then the 'hump' wouldn't be that hard to fabricate in - And you only need if you want the 4WD of course.:scholar:

Big Ian
05-01-2009, 11:56 PM
cheer's for the input guy's, ive a mate looking through salvage auction site's for a damaged EVO 5 or 6 as he need's a new shell for his rolled EVO VI if he can find a slightly damaged shell (no roof damage) & if it has most or all of it's running gear in place he'll sell me any electric's and mechanical part's i'll need. intresting to see that the 8G box and shaft's could be used, that would save a bit of time .. a couple of my mate's recon we could have it running EVO power in one weekend?

got to agree with your statement about the colour it is now "K" i'd consider changing the colour but at the moment i'd be looking at it as a project car, maybe once it was running right and all legal (and strenthend) i'd consider paint?

it still has all the extras in place that i fitted, even the angel eye's still work! it's only realy showing it's age under the bonnet, strut top areas have quite a bit of surface rust, nothing bad .. just look's worse and a few area's on the underside of the floor and boot could do with being wire brushed and sealed.

Big Ian
06-01-2009, 12:05 AM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35300
:

1st time ive seen this, very neatly done, don't know if i could do it to that standard? .. and i think i'll put a bet on with my mate's that we don't have it running in a weekend ;)

Axeboy
06-01-2009, 12:12 AM
What way round is the 4g63 in the Galant?

I think the Evo 1/2/3 were 180 degrees from the 4+ if i remember correctly.

Edit: just seen brads post

bradc
06-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Yeap, 1-3 are the wrong way around for us

Big Ian
06-01-2009, 07:07 PM
well today i called the owner of my old GLS and made him an offer for the car, which i left him to think about.
just need to sit and wait on him calling me back with an answer, i got thinking more this morning and i'm now thinking even if i don't go the EVO route i'll still be looking for a spring time project and ive had enough project E30 BMW's to last me a while! (5 in 2 yrs)
ive offered him quite a bit less than he is looking for, but i feel it's still a decent offer for a car with no mot or tax :) .. he payed way to much for the car, (£1600 in Oct 08) ive offered less than half ;) .. well yeah got'to start somewhere £££

ritch_w
06-01-2009, 10:47 PM
£500 would be fair for the car (its done over 100k right?), but its still a car with no MoT & Tax, so putting through an MoT can always be costly. If it was me I would be comfortable around £300 and spending another £300 for the MoT.

Roll on project "8Gevo"

Big Ian
08-01-2009, 11:53 PM
i offered him £550 as it sat ... he TxT me today saying he wanted £850 at least for it .. needless to say but "ive not been back in touch with him"

ANTHONY
09-01-2009, 12:18 AM
so you gonna keep the supra

bradc
09-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Call him back in a few days and offer him 650

ritch_w
09-01-2009, 07:36 AM
£850 is a bit steep....stick with your £550, no one in their right mind would shell out £850 for a car with no T&T!

I'm sure you could pick up a suitable project vehicle for that money else where

Big Ian
09-01-2009, 01:35 PM
so you gonna keep the supra

yip .. having to much fun with it :D .. unless i get offered a manual VR4 or V6 ;)

i'm going to leave it a couple of day's, ive a freind who stay's in the same street as the seller and he said if it help's any he'll report it for no tax and parked in a public car park then once it has a ticket on it he'll tell me and i'll go and see him with cash in hand ;) .. sneeky :scholar:

N9nebar
09-01-2009, 09:22 PM
i was thinking about a 4g93t from a 99lancer gsr into my 1.8gdi , would there be any complications with the 4speed tipbox? same size engine so road tax will be the same.

bradc
09-01-2009, 10:20 PM
You would really want to change to a manual gearbox. I doubt the 4 speed auto would handle it very well at all

N9nebar
09-01-2009, 11:32 PM
there is an auto version of the 1.8gsr could i just beef up the torque convertor or is that possible?

bradc
09-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Is your one 2wd or 4wd?

Turbo_Steve
10-01-2009, 01:26 AM
I think you'd be surprised how much abuse the old 4-speed boxes will take.

We started slapping them into our drag scoob when it was shredding a manual every 4000miles, and it lasted much much longer. Dunno what the mitsi ones are like, but the older, lower tech stuff tends to be pretty strong IMO.

dutch driver
11-01-2009, 04:02 PM
hi guys,

yep i did the swap from 2.0L to evo6
it running now on 0.6bar.
the clutch is burn as hell and the tires are giving nice blue smoke all the time:scholar:
and yes it's now fwd.
and that's nice playing.
only i miss the traction.
when the clutch is ok and the weather is going to be better it's going to 1.2 bar.
and when it's on the dyno i'm going to bring it to 1.40/1.45 bar
only on the road it not to handly on 1.40bar that's to much.

and yes we are coming to japfest this year.
so we can talk it all over on japfest how it's done.
you need to know some tricks to get it all done.

here is a little movie off how it's running.
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=zB7q-F0O08E

bradc
11-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Is it even driveable in 3rd gear without spinning the wheels?

elnevio
11-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Is it even driveable in 3rd gear without spinning the wheels?
Perhaps not for your cloven hoof Brad :p, but these are sophisticated Europeans we're talking about here! :d

bradc
11-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Heh :) It would be fun smoking the wheels up at motorway speeds :D

Eric
14-01-2009, 09:31 AM
I am unsure of the Galants from the rest of the world but it is possible to swap it in to a USDM Galant. With that being said AWD is a little confusing. Some parts have to be swaped out and it "Should" go in. As far as I am aware nobody has attempted it on a Galant but I knew someone the did it into a third gen Eclipse (2 door slightly shorter USDM Galant). His website is http://www.blueeclipse.net/