PDA

View Full Version : Does my type S have less power?

kenslim
29-05-2003, 11:57 AM
Having read the really helpful stuff on this site, am i correct in my understanding that my December 1997 type S? auto VR4 only has 260hp rather than the 280hp?
I have been a little disapointed with the performance of the car since buying a few weeks ago and this might explain it.

If this is the case, is it possible to make a simple tweak to the ecu to increase the power to 280hp? or am i looking at a boost meter to regulate an increase in boost to achieve the missing hp?

BraindG
29-05-2003, 12:04 PM
Basically yes..

the ECU was tweaked by Mitshubishi to give that extra 20BHP, hence the Tyoe-V... this to me suggests, that soemeon who knows their way around the ECU/VR-4 should, in theroy be able to sort it out..

but... seems like far to much hard work :D im working on getting Type_V ECU's for the Type-S's... not much luck yet though, but im working on it.. and we know it does work..
thanks Rhys ;)

Nick VR4
29-05-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by kenslim

I have been a little disapointed with the performance of the car since buying a few weeks ago and this might explain it.

Ken when you say disapointed in what way
I'm guessing performance wise
You are using Optimax or Super unleaded fuel ?
If not the ECU goes into a save mode and will drop the power quite a bit

Are you using the tiptroninic or leaving in Auto Mode ?

A quick solution to try is disconnect battery for well various times have been quoted on here from 30 secs to 30 mins
Reconnect and take out for a drive and I mean drive prefarably using Tiptroninc ans much as possible
the car will learn your driving and use this in Auto mode

kenslim
29-05-2003, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the clarification fella. Bit of a novice at perfromance tweaks but would i be right in thinking that the engine and ecu in my type s have the capacity to safely handle a modest increase in boost?

Nick - I only use optimax in my car but do often dirve in auto mode living in central London. I was refering to the fact that i was under the impression that the car produced 280hp but it just didn't feel like it.

BraindG
29-05-2003, 12:34 PM
well, try resetting ECU INSERT INTO post VALUES (unplug battery) see what happens..

you should without having to remap get the boost up to 13psi... 0.9 bar..

andygy
29-05-2003, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kenslim
[B]Thanks for the clarification fella. Bit of a novice at perfromance tweaks but would i be right in thinking that the engine and ecu in my type s have the capacity to safely handle a modest increase in boost?

Yours is the first generation of the Galant 2.5V6 twin turbo version with 260psINSERT INTO post VALUES (256bhp);with the torque being the same at 363Nm.The second generation of the EC5A which is the last of the Twin Turbo EC5A or EC5W has 280psINSERT INTO post VALUES (276bhp);share exactly the same engine, guess the diff might be due to the boost level.You can boost it to a very safe level of 1.2 bar, but you have to disengage the factory boost cut INSERT INTO post VALUES (factory boost cut at 0.9bar).I have been on 1.2bar for the last 3 year and it is still in good healthINSERT INTO post VALUES (the engine) :)
Last but not least if on high boost and hard driving,it is a must to change your engine oil and atf more often

jaysback
29-05-2003, 09:01 PM
more often:INSERT INTO post VALUES (
4500 miles isnt often enough
do you have any trouble with your plugs with the higher boost?
although a .3 bar increase isnt a big increase?
do you have any power figures for your vr4 now u r on 1.2 bar?

Brind
29-05-2003, 09:13 PM
I have the new shape Type-S auto, which has 280bhp.
My car was used on lower octane for a while before I had it but after my ECU was reset a couple of weeks ago the car is amazingly fast now! didn't know any different before, the ECU does go into safe mode when it has a bad batch of fuel and in my case lower octane fuel.
The power can drop by 60bhp plus on the 280bhp model.

I know you are asking about whether your model has 260 or 280bhp but it is also very worthwhile reseting your ECU in case you have even less power, I doubt the 20ish bhp is noticed THAT much between the variants? but 60 sure as hell does! you may even get less power than that.

calum
29-05-2003, 10:39 PM
Mine makes approx 250bhp on crappy 95 unleaded.

http://www.aoqo52.dsl.pipex.com/vr4_star_performance_rr_2nd_feb_03.jpg

Low transmission losses = good power at wheels. One thing I have not been is disappointed with the performance, and I thought it would be a bit poor being a big heavy auto estate car.

My other car's a celica gt-four st205, so it's not as if I'm used to going slow and the vr-4 is a new experience.

Calum