PDA

View Full Version : What suspension options do I have?

Minter
06-01-2009, 04:16 PM
My Galant Sport sits a tad high for my liking. I'd like to drop her a little (not too much due to sleeping policemen & such like.../Grrr )

I've had a little look around but there doesn't seem to be many options out there. So far I've only found an Eibach spring kit 30mm drop @ £155.

Any good? Any other options?

Also, is dropping a Galant an easy job or any complications I should be aware of?

Regards,

G

chris g
06-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Eibach are quality kit - used them on my MR2

Also authorised and fitted by Ford on Focus ST

You may find some Tein springs but combining with shock absorbers suited to lowered springs is recommended

Or you may find a coilover kit

Other owners, the techies, may be along shortly to enlighten us...

Kieran
06-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Eibach springs are very highly regarded for the UK-Spec cars. They're comfy, sort out the slighly 'jiggly' feel of the Sport model (having previously owned a V6-24 you'll know what I'm on about) and the price isn't too bad.

Depending on the mileage, often you'll find the shocks are past their best when you disassemble (the rebound often packs in) so many on here combine the Eibachs with Bilstein shocks.

Minter
06-01-2009, 07:50 PM
I know what you mean about the "Jiggly" feeling, quite apparent when changing gear under rapid acceleration it alsmost feels like the car rocks, if you know what I mean?

It had new rear shocks about a year ago & has only done about 1000 miles since that MOT, & it's only just had it's last MOT & the front shocks we're fine, apparently. Do you still think it would be worth shelling out for Bilstein shocks as well as the Eibach springs?

Thanks guys

Nick Mann
06-01-2009, 11:12 PM
If you can afford the shocks, then go for them at the same time. Lowering your car will often lead to premature failure of worn shocks anyway.

For that reason, if you don't do the shocks (because you need your overdraft to be a bit smaller this month like the rest of us!) then budget for the expense to hit you at some point.

ritch_w
07-01-2009, 06:01 PM
what shocks did you fit to the rear? at a guess probably fine, but new fronts might help

ritch_w
07-01-2009, 06:06 PM
also see here
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36871

mesobitchy
07-01-2009, 07:22 PM
need to do the rear shocks at some point as they squeeky, but dont want to lower the back, but do want to lower the knose,
so shocks an springs for the front,
is the Eibach spring kit 30mm drop @ £155 all in or just for the springs?
an anyone got a clue on price for new standard rear shocks an springs?

the cheper the better :) but dont want to skimp on quility.

chris g
07-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Check Camskill...

Kieran
07-01-2009, 09:19 PM
is the Eibach spring kit 30mm drop @ £155 all in or just for the springs?

Just the springs :)

fluffnik
07-01-2009, 09:39 PM
need to do the rear shocks at some point as they squeeky, but dont want to lower the back, but do want to lower the knose,
so shocks an springs for the front,

Remember, both end belong to the same car. :scholar:

If you lower and stiffen the front whilst leaving the rear standard you'll make the car more prone to oversteer and possibly weird out the steering to some extent.

Kieran
07-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Remember, both end belong to the same car. :scholar:

If you lower and stiffen the front whilst leaving the rear standard you'll make the car more prone to oversteer and possibly weird out the steering to some extent.

Very good point. For a giggle (and whilst we swapped axle stands) we put Hordak on the deck after we'd fitted the front lowering springs but not the rears - just to see how silly it'd look. The car would have been completely undrivable - there was hardly any clearance between the chin of the car and the road.

mesobitchy
07-01-2009, 11:48 PM
humm so maybe a cash splash for coilovers then?
talking of which rough prices/places to look/etc....?

chris g
08-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Maybe around £500 up to £700 for VR-4 for Tein or more perhaps even less depending on the brand before fitting

If you are a member of MLR or can get an MLR member to buy them from a dealer giving MLR discount then you could pay quite a bit less than this...

Check Camskill again for their prices - not the cheapest

I was offered Super Wagon coilovers with top mounts for £592 delivered

Minter
08-01-2009, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm still unsure what to do though. The reason being is that I may change the Sport for a VR-4 at some point in the first half of this year & with second hand prices being the way they are I don't realy want to be ploughing loads of money into a car I may not keep very long. I'd rather invest in a set of coilies' for a VR-4 knowing I'll be able to reap the benifits for a long time to come.

If it was just a case of spending out £155 for the Eibachs then I'd do it.

bradc
08-01-2009, 02:03 AM
If you buy a set of Tein's they will fit onto a VR-4 as well, infact they are all designed for VR-4's

Fully
08-01-2009, 05:43 AM
All 8gen parts fit as well.
You could just go for a set of lowering springs, would be the cheapest and easiest option.
Here is a link to my Sports
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3112563

ritch_w
08-01-2009, 09:12 AM
If your shocks are in good serviceable condition, then the eibachs will work well with them - so you can upgrade and improve your suspension for a very reasonable £155.

What shocks (&condition) are on the car?

Minter
09-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Shocks are in good condition, not done much mileage.

I think if I do anything it will be the Eibach kit first, then if I'm not happy I'll replace the shocks for Bilstein jobbies after.

Interestign point on the Coilovers though, didn't even think about just swapping them over to a VR in the future.

ritch_w
09-01-2009, 07:43 AM
fit Eibachs first sounds like a good plan!

i think you will see a big improvement!

HMG1K
09-01-2009, 10:40 AM
All 8gen parts fit as well.
You could just go for a set of lowering springs, would be the cheapest and easiest option.
Here is a link to my Sports
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3112563

/Hijack/Hijack/Hijack/Hijack/Hijack/Hijack/Hijack/Hijack/Hijack

I love the aftermarket headlight washer jets!!! Tough job to do?

mesobitchy
09-01-2009, 12:33 PM
sticking them on a car that didnt come with them to start with?
not got a clue.
but useing whats already there when putting on new bumper, wont it be a case of just cutting out a space for them. :)

HMG1K
09-01-2009, 12:43 PM
sticking them on a car that didnt come with them to start with?
not got a clue.
but useing whats already there when putting on new bumper, wont it be a case of just cutting out a space for them. :)

Yep, no idea why they had them on the pre-facelift cars and ditched them on the facelifts.

One for Kieran I think!

mesobitchy
09-01-2009, 01:06 PM
as we found out these washers came in very handy /lol
an heres me thinking of getting rid of them..... after this weeks weather there staying put. might even shape them to red pointy horns, /lol

ritch_w
10-01-2009, 12:08 PM
wouldnt be difficult to transplant a set of a V6-24 onto a sport

Minter
11-01-2009, 12:19 AM
That black 8g in the pic at the top of this page looks lovely. Mean but subtle.