PDA

View Full Version : img code

pitslayer
07-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Can we have the image code activated in the "vr4 pictures"
This forum here, has img code, but doesnt need it, just seems to make little sense,not to have img code in a pictures area, would also save on space in the attachment area :)

chris g
07-01-2009, 05:08 PM
And I have no idea what you are talking about...

pitslayer
07-01-2009, 05:20 PM
well in VR4 pictures, we have to attach an image to post it, where as here we can put the image code in
picture address here and that displays the picture,without having to attach it

chris g
07-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Yes that techie code stuff is completely unknown to me...

want to attach image, click, choose picture, click, upload image, click, picture inserted - lets keep it simple...

unless you techie people want an option to play with code to get things done...?

Give me a troubled mind anyday, I'll leave this techie fun to those that can and want to..

GT40-Steven
07-01-2009, 05:37 PM
I understand what you mean pitslayer. Chris fyi it means you don't have to upload the picture. Just point out the adress to it if it's located on another webspace.
Upside is that you don't have to upload the picture.
Downside is that you can lose the picture if the original author takes it off or the server where it really is goes down for some reason.

chris g
07-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Spot the adress, insert it somewhere and everything goes smoothly...

you must be joking..!

I normally upload pics from my own or from files after download from another site, never direct from another site to CVR4

pitslayer
07-01-2009, 06:22 PM
chris, if you post a reply in this forum, not a quick reply, when the reply window comes up you will see this picture in the tool bar, just below the attachment bit to the right
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/images/editor/insertimage.gif

click on that, insert the web address for the image you want, press ok...hey presto, your picture shows up

chris g
07-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Well I might give it a go...

scott.mohekey
07-01-2009, 08:24 PM
I think the issue with the linked images is they're not guaranteed to stick around. And it is very frustrating to be reading threads referencing off site images that have gone AWOL.

chris g
07-01-2009, 08:34 PM
So we are not uploading the image, we are inserting the link to an image...
it could then disappear from the linked website page
and nothing to look at...

scott.mohekey
07-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Exactly. Another issue is some businesses block some of the image hosting sites, so you get a broken link image instead.

pitslayer
07-01-2009, 10:40 PM
yes but in VR4 pictures your more than likely uploading a pic of your own car from photobucket :)

chris g
07-01-2009, 10:46 PM
...photobucket...?

I have actually heard of them but would never think of placing photos there...!

Spirit
07-01-2009, 10:58 PM
It's the whole reason Barry disabled this facility - because he wanted pics to always remain where they are and not get deleted through broken links etc.

No plans to reintroduce it afaik

chris g
07-01-2009, 11:12 PM
That's how I like it, choose a photo or two, insert it into a thread and then everyone can return to it whenever desired..

pitslayer
08-01-2009, 01:46 AM
but its enabled in a few other forums?
its enabled in
the priory
random pictures/videos/jokes
newbies
cvr4 membership
uk chat
uk forsale forums, all 3
bugs and issues
site ideas
members forum

Yet on VR4 pictures and customising your VR4, there isnt an image code function. I can see what your saying about pics getting deleted, but in all off the other forums, where random pics can be posted which are more likely to get deleted, than the VR4 pics of members, posted by members, on a members image sharing site

Just seems pointless having it enabled in all the above forums, where its generally not needed, and not used in the VR4 forums, where it is generally needed, surely it would also save on bandwidth space we take up, by attaching stuff?