PDA

View Full Version : ATF Fluid?

justjon
11-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Just had a look at the AMSOIL website, to try and find their atf fluid, found it, however £113 for 9.5 liters? and i need how much to flush/change the atf approx 12, so i need two of the damn things? thats £226 without even buying the filter(i know they aren't much at all) is there nowhere that i could get it any cheaper than this? might be just me but it seems like an awful lot to spend on atf...and i know it needs doing asap before my gearbox dies and lands me with a bill for over £1000.
I just thought it was a tad steep thats all. Unless there is something i'm missing?
Would appreciate any help on this before i dive in and ruin myself /Grrr

shaun1978
11-01-2009, 11:39 AM
if you dont want to use amsoil , if you pop along to a mitsy dealer with your own container, they usually do sp111 for £10 a litre, or opie oils do motul multi atf for £8.87 a litre with club discount which is also sp111 compliant.

peter thomson
11-01-2009, 11:55 AM
It's £165 for 3 x 5 litres with the club discount

elnevio
11-01-2009, 11:58 AM
http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/automatic_transmission_fluid.html

That's the stuff (code ATF). I think you were looking at the Torque Drive stuff, code ATD.

You want good atf in the AYC too, so the leftovers will get used up!

EDIT: Didn't realise the Motul fluid was SPIII-compliant. Don't know anybody who runs it though on these. Perhaps they could post up if they do. Otherwise, LOADS of bods use Amsoil atf, so it's got a good track record for us.

JayPee
11-01-2009, 05:56 PM
How often do you need to change the ATF fluid then?

elnevio
11-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Every 45,000 miles / 5 years, according to the service schedule. The amsoil would probably go for longer, although if the fluid has started degrading, then it would need changing sooner.

JayPee
11-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Ok - so not a huge chunk of change every so often then. Something to barter in if the car is approaching 45k/ 5yrs, 90k/10yrs, etc...

bradc
11-01-2009, 06:59 PM
I however would change it a bit more regularly than that, perhaps once every 20,000 miles or so, largely depending on if you tow boats/trailers or take the car to track days.

The amsoil ATF is truely worth it though, it gives outstanding gearchanges. Justjon - you're a full member so go here and get a big discount http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13815

As Nev said, you need about 1.5 litres for the AYC, so you are best to buy 15 litres.

TAR
11-01-2009, 09:24 PM
take your pick

£165 for peace of mind...

or £1000+ for a dead gearbox.

:happy:

Starscream
11-01-2009, 09:27 PM
spend the money on a manual conversion ;)

justjon
11-01-2009, 09:36 PM
take your pick

Thanks for that, it's a simple choice i know, but there is only this issue to clear up, just the alternator to sort out next as the battery light has reappeared again! /Grrr
Tyres are getting sorted on tuesday £213 for 4 Falkens...not bad i thought.
and hopefully that will be all, maybe then i can get out there and start enjoying my car instead of worrying about it.

shaun1978
11-01-2009, 09:40 PM
take your pick

thats a bit harsh , if the guy doesnt want to fork out on amsoil, the other two options would work fine.......

justjon
11-01-2009, 09:47 PM
thats a bit harsh , if the guy doesnt want to fork out on amsoil, the other two options would work fine.......
Cheers for that shaun, money is a little bit tight at the moment, maybe when we are a little more financially stable then i could perhaps look into treating the car to a proper dose of fluid, but for now i think it's going to have to be mitsy's own sp111...which, i'm sure will work just fine, for now....won't it? ;)

TAR
11-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Cheers for that shaun, money is a little bit tight at the moment, maybe when we are a little more financially stable then i could perhaps look into treating the car to a proper dose of fluid, but for now i think it's going to have to be mitsy's own sp111...which, i'm sure will work just fine, for now....won't it? ;)

I didn't think I was being harsh, I was just pointing out the importance of changing the ATF.

Even if you go with Mitsi DiaQueen at £10 per litre that adds up to £150 for a full flush.

It is important to do a full flush otherwise you just mix about 5 litres of good clean atf with lots of old dirty stuff.

It is VERY important that you get the correct grade of ATF otherwise you will absolutely kill your autobox, but whichever one you choose you are in for a bill of over £100.

Many other people on the forum swear by Amsoil, and I am one of them, it completely transformed my auto box.

You are free to make your mind up about which atf you use and I wouldn't try to push you one way or another.

bradc
11-01-2009, 10:12 PM
If the gearbox changes ok at the moment then you don't need to rush out immediately and change the fluid. Amsoil ATF is the best choice though once you get around to it.

shaun1978
11-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Theres nothing at all wrong with mitsy sp111 after all the box was designed to run on it...., and £120 for 12 litres is a lot cheaper than £160, and to be honest even though my car is full of amsoil I'm no wiser as to why everyone sings and dances about it....