PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Project VX

enigma
04-04-2004, 05:59 PM
Kieran will be posting a full breakdown on what is involved in cleaning and polishing your pride and joy (thats your car by the way!) later on. I have just assisted him in trying to bring back the VX to its former glory. I have to say I am impressed with his detailed knowledge and understanding on the subject! It really works too, the VX bonnet was in a sorry state before the god of GLS and wax got his hands on it.

Its just a shame it has been bead blasted for the last 10 mins by a rather nasty hail storm!!! :wow:

I am sure pictures and a tutorial will follow in due course!

enigma
04-04-2004, 06:38 PM
I have just located some very rare footage of Kieran as a young boy learning the art of polishing (ooooo errrrrr missus!)

Learning to Polish (1.6Mb) (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.hidle/images/Polish.wmv)

Nick Mann
04-04-2004, 06:45 PM
I can hear his little voice now.....

Pre-wash dirt loosening rinse on,
Pre-wash dirt loosening rinse off,
Pre-wash second rinse on,
Pre-wash second rinse off,
Pre-wash on,
Pre-wash off.......

I think there was something about wax eventually!!

Kieran
04-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Only the foolish scoff at the noble art of car cleaning! Mr. Miagi taught me well! :-D

Kieran
05-04-2004, 12:19 AM
Well, it's too late now to post the full story, but here's a couple of before and after shots to whet your appetites I'll do the full story at a later date and probably incorporate it into 'Kierans car washing masterclass' :-D

The first picture shows the car when I went on my (at the time) top secret reconnaissance mission. You can see that the bonnet is very dull, with inconsistent colouring and large areas of blooming and pinkness. Bad news!

Kieran
05-04-2004, 12:21 AM
And here is the result after about 2 and a bit hours work. It's still not right, and only the bonnet is up to this standard at the moment. Perfection cannot be rushed!!

The eagle-eyed amongst you may notice the two white blemishes - these are a couple of water spots that were on my camera lens!

KiwiTT
05-04-2004, 12:28 AM
:bow: to the God of Polish.

Will your technique fill in "stone chips"

Kieran
05-04-2004, 12:32 AM
Will your technique fill in "stone chips"

Errr.... No! :$

The VX has several paint imperfections that are similar in nature to stone chipping. Unfortunately, whilst polishing can improve them, it doesn't eliminate them - They'll need painting.... :undecided

SGHOM
05-04-2004, 12:40 AM
2 & a bit hours of polishing !!! & still no sign of 1000 BHP ?? :$

Big Ian
05-04-2004, 01:17 AM
i take it you are keeping it red, :headsc: as i wouldn't like to think you where doing all that polishing for nothing.

Japmetal
05-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Of course it's going to be red; everyone knows red ones go faster !! ;)

Rally205
06-04-2004, 09:17 AM
They also crash more frequently than any other colour!!! :sad3:

colVR4
06-04-2004, 09:27 AM
Kieran,

I have to admit to being very impressed. Many may scoff at your committment and dedication to the 'guild of polishers' but the results clearly show that you have the skill.

so......when can I bring the car over :D

venomboy
06-04-2004, 10:10 AM
Damm that looks good! Wish I had the time/patience/marriage for that sort of thing. I envy you your freedom to polish!
VB