PDA

View Full Version : Opening the boot using the key...

HMG1K
12-01-2009, 11:58 PM
I'm having hassles opening the boot of my saloon using the key - 98% of the time I put the key in, turn and nothing - the key won't 'engage'.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm using the correct key (not the grey key), the child lock isn't on the boot, and the boot opens fine from the lever in the front footwell.

If I wiggle the key left and right gently as I put it in the barrel, it may work and turn and open - otherwise nothing and I fear I'll snap the key (which is currently 'straight').

Could it be as simple as taking the inside bood lid cover off and greasing or oiling the locking mechanism? :inquisiti

g6acb
13-01-2009, 12:25 AM
Yep - same thing on 2 Galants and know of others who suffer - never really bothered me as happy to use the lever by the drivers seat.

I think it is just a dirt / contamination thing - maybe a squirt of wd40 through the straw into the lock would help?

Whats the worst that could happen :inquisiti

Davezj
13-01-2009, 12:30 AM
Try spaying some WD40 in the lock, sound daft but my parents front door lock was the same. water gets in and clogs/rusts things up.

WD40, lots of.
then key in and out with no turning a few times
then gentle turning to free it up.

HMG1K
13-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Nice one! :pimp2: Thanks guys!

Sounds like water - I had this same problem, though not as bad, on my 6G - so sounds like water getting in and dust, etc, like you both say.

Will give it a go! :scholar:

Roberto
13-01-2009, 01:35 AM
Legnum here, always use the central locking.

Don't think I have ever used the key in the boot./pan

martin_y
13-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Legnum's handle is a bit sticky and I have this problem. Put the handle back in its rest position then the key works fine.

ritch_w
13-01-2009, 08:48 AM
I had the exact same issue with a colt a few years ago - they have the lever inside the car too. Basically the actual lock hadn't been used for so many years you couldnt even get the key in. Removed the barrel, soaked in wd40 then took it bits/reassembled and viola - 1 working lock. Hopefully yours inst as bad and a squirt of wd40 will suffice ;)

White Lightning
13-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Yep ... I nearly always have this problem.

VR4 MAD
14-01-2009, 12:48 AM
Another thing to bare in-mind is that different parts of the keys ridges are used for the ignition and to open the door locks. At least that used to be the case anyway. :speechles

The nose of the key (front 2/3's of the key) is for the ignition and the shank end does the door locks. It maybe that just the door section of the key has become more worn that the rest and isn't "connecting" with the correct parts of the tumbler any more. /Grrr Are you having trouble with just opening the boot or are the car doors also a problem? Have you even tried the cars doors? Is maybe worth checking to see if they too give the same issues. If they do, then it's very likely the key is worn and that it's the source of the problem.

Just a thought.

/toycar

HMG1K
14-01-2009, 02:17 AM
Just having hassle with the boot, the doors work fine when I've tried them but then I use the remote to lock and unlock them - but guess what? After posting this last night, I did 4 genuine trips to the boot today, used the key and it was perfect!

I'll still try the methods listed above though, as this was a fluke today - either that or my car is secretly reading this forum too so was behaving!

VR4 MAD
14-01-2009, 05:20 AM
Yea, mean try the doors using the key rather than the remote............/pan

/toycar

HMG1K
14-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Yea, mean try the doors using the key rather than the remote............/pan

/toycar

Yep, have used the door keys to open the door instead of the remote and the key in the doors work fine, it's just the boot.

Roberto
14-01-2009, 11:44 AM
- either that or my car is secretly reading this forum too so was behaving!

I'm convinced this happens.
Work is the same, watching our toolset, to replicate a fault, I'll sit there for ages, and as soon as I walk away, it will fault out. It's as if it gets lonely or just wants to mess with my head./pan

KEENY
29-01-2009, 11:58 AM
yep i have the same problem here too. and the doors open with the key but i have to keep turning the key a couple of times before it will turn fully.

HMG1K
29-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Mine seems to have settled - after behaving, it's now working fine 70% of the time - certainly not as bad as before.

I'm yet to to the solutions to the hassle mentioned earlier in this thread as I've been working 7-day weeks since Christmas.

David H L
25-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Yes same problem on V6 saloon we only got one key with the car it unlocks and locks the glove compartment and I assumed it would also do the boot but obviously not.
I will try some of the above solutions.

Cheers

David H L

HMG1K
25-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Perhaps try opening the boot from the inside of the car, leaver by the driver's seat - and see if the 'lock' is set to 'on' on the inside of the boot, by the locking mechanism.

David H L
25-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Perhaps try opening the boot from the inside of the car, leaver by the driver's seat - and see if the 'lock' is set to 'on' on the inside of the boot, by the locking mechanism.

Thanks, I will try that when other half gets the car home, it does open using the lever in car though.

David H L