PDA

View Full Version : slips in 5th??tip

phunky monkey
17-01-2009, 11:06 PM
hi there

my vr-4 tip seems so have clutch slip in 5th??

driving at 70 ish and accelerate and the revs rise then it seems like the cluch stars biting??? and brings the revs back in line with the speed if that makes any sence???

bradc
17-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Have you changed the gearbox oil? If not you need to change it all, 10 litres or so with Amsoil ATF

phunky monkey
17-01-2009, 11:12 PM
my frend who i got the car from said it was changed last month!!

dipped it today and it is so clean its hard to see on the dip stick!!

bradc
17-01-2009, 11:25 PM
What oil did he use, and did he change all 10 litres including the cooler part at the bottom of the radiator?

Are you sure it isn't just the normal torque converter 'flare' that all Auto's do?

phunky monkey
17-01-2009, 11:32 PM
nope defo not normal!! take about 5 secs to settle!!!

not sure on how much he changed or what tbh. but i know he looked on here so would have thought he would have looked the oil grade up tbh!

Nick Mann
17-01-2009, 11:33 PM
I think you are talking about torque convertor lock up. In 4th and 5th the gearbox can actually lock the TC to avoid the slippage that normally goes with it. However, when you want power again it will release the lock. So slippage occurs and revs rise a bit. If you hit the loud pedal a bit harder then you could well have full on kick down, so the revs will rise even more! Some people have described it as fake kick down in the past. Not as substantial or aggressive, but a similar feel. And the car stays in the same gear!

This is somthing you could well feel when you start going up hill at 1500 revs in 5th. Your foot depresses a bit to keep the speed constant, which disengages the lock mechanism.

Unless you think my description is not right, I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

TAR
17-01-2009, 11:55 PM
I'm with Nick on this one. It's gonna be the torque converter locking in.
Nothing to worry about although its a little strange to begin with when you accelerate and the revs drop!

:happy: