PDA

View Full Version : Swap - 97 legnum springs

calum
06-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Anybody wanna swap some lowered/ stiffened springs for a standard set?

It's a 97 legnum vr4.

My wife's pregnant and reckons that the ride now makes her feel a bit unwell. As she drives it but I chose it, I thought the least I could do is try and sort it out a bit for her!

You can see from these pics the way it lowers the car.

http://sites.ecosse.net/chunky/frames/legnum.htm

http://www.aoqo52.dsl.pipex.com/vr4_nearside_big.jpg

No idea what make they are as they've been in it since I've got it.

I've also got another set in the shed but don't know what they are either (they're not stamped up with anything). Does anybody have a standard set they could measure up/ want to swap? The 'free' lengths of the set in the shed are 315mm and 242mm.

They have two white paint marks on each of the 'fatter' and shorter springs.

Cheers,

Calum

zedy1
06-04-2004, 10:04 PM
i maybe interested mate, ill measure my front and rears and let you knw the sizes

calum
06-04-2004, 11:12 PM
are saloon springs the same as the estate?

Thanks,

Calum

zedy1
06-04-2004, 11:13 PM
i think they should be the same

calum
12-04-2004, 09:16 AM
bttt

Any news, Mo?

Calum

zedy1
12-04-2004, 11:54 AM
gonna measure up tommorow. how do i measure? cus ive got alot of weight in da back of my car

calum
12-04-2004, 06:08 PM
I thought yours were off the car! Have you got std wheels on the car? If so, measure the gap between teh wheel arch and the top of the tyre and I'll do the same. Lay something like a ruler flat on top of the tyre and measure from it to the top of the wheel arch. I've got std 16" wheels on there just now with 225/50 x 16s on.

I'll phone mitsubishi and try and find out if the saloon are the same as the standard ones. Anybody got any standard legnum springs lying about?

Could anybody with a std legnum do this measurement too (front and back)? Thanks.

I'll let you know what mitsubishi say.

Cheers,

Calum

nick-f1
12-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Hi Calum, have measured my Legnum wheel arches for you, as far as i'm aware its standard. My drive isn't entirely level, but measured all 4 corners as you suggested: REARS - both 25mm from tyre surface to inside lip of wheel arch. (outer on mine is higher). FRONTS; average 50mm ( nearside 53mm offside 48mm) thats where uneven drive comes in I hope. If this is any help to you all well and good, but if you want clarification or other measurements let me know. Hope this helps

Regards Nick.

zedy1
12-04-2004, 10:27 PM
i definetly knw that mine are standard, but the gaps between the tyres and wheel arch are going to be a false reading cus theres alot of weight in the boot also ive got 18's with 225 40 18 tyres. the springs are the same for the estate and the saloon according to hks website.

calum
12-04-2004, 11:19 PM
Thanks, Nick!

OK - have been outside with my torch doing some measuring.

I laid a piece of card on top of the tyre and measured form it to the inner lip of the arches.

Car was on a bit of a slope, so measurements were 30mm and 25mm rear (average 27.5mm) and fronts were 40 and 36 (so average of 38mm).

Then I measured from the ground to where the centre of the front bumper/ spoiler meets the undertray. This was 153mm.

I also measured from the ground to the centre inner edge (lowest point) of the rear bumper. This was 297mm.

Don't know if any of this will mean anything! I just know that the car is low and stiff.

Mo - don't know if you want to try the set in my shed first, or whether you want the set off the car? Apparently (according to the garage I bought the car off) the set in the shed are even stiffer than the set on it, but that may be bull****.

To save you any hassle I may have that set fitted on and then send you down the ones that are on the car, unless anybody has a set of standard springs lying about that they could measure/ help identify? I've attached a couple of pics of the ones in the shed.

Your 18's are 5mm bigger diameter overall (2.5mm radius) so yours would be 2.5mm less gap between arch and tyre.

225/40 x 18 is what I used to have on and there were no clearance or rubbing issues. Just looked nice! Shame I smashed one up, but they're away getting fixed just now, so that's why the std ones are on.

Here's the comparison:

225 50 x 16
Side Wall Height (inch): 4.43
Tire Width (inch): 8.86
Tire Diameter (inch): 24.86
Tire+Wheel Radius (inch): 12.43
Tire Circumference (inch): 78.09

Revolutions per mile: 811.32
Revolutions per kilometer: 503.83
Speedometer Reading: 60

225 40 x 18
Side Wall Height (inch): 3.54
Tire Width (inch): 8.86
Tire Diameter (inch): 25.09
Tire+Wheel Radius (inch): 12.54
Tire Circumference (inch): 78.81
% Difference: 0.92
Revolutions per mile: 803.94
Revolutions per kilometer: 499.25
New Speedometer Reading: 59.45

Cheers,

Calum

calum
21-04-2004, 10:30 PM
Mo - I'm getting the springs changed on Monday, so shoudl have them ready to send down soon - you want to Pm me your address?

Calum