PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Raising

fluffnik
30-01-2009, 10:19 PM
My car is equipped with adjustable coilover suspension. :)

...adjustable for preload only. :(

And it's far too low for our Alpine touring purposes.

While it might be possible to fit longer softer springs to the coilovers I think the more sensible way forward is to get standard(ish) suspension oriented more toward fast road load lugging than the track or showground.

I've seen the Bilstein/Eibach combo mentioned but are there others worthy of consideration?

...and where to buy?

ianturbo
30-01-2009, 10:58 PM
I can see you gettin a few " I'll swap ya for mine " on this /pan ,just buy some higher poundage springs and wind them up !
ian

fluffnik
31-01-2009, 01:34 AM
I can see you gettin a few " I'll swap ya for mine " on this /pan ,just buy some higher poundage springs and wind them up !

I think it's longer lower poundage springs we'd need, but we don't know the free length and weight of the current ones...

Better to get a set of suitable shocks and springs to swap in and either re-spring the coilovers or sell them at our later leisure.

bradc
31-01-2009, 02:31 AM
keep the higher spring rate and go with slightly longer ones if you need to raise the car. Don't go with lower spring rates, think about what will happen when you go over a bump or whatever, you'll still end up bottoming out.

Big Ian
31-01-2009, 02:51 AM
slightly off topic ... ;) what car are you taking on sunday .. well that is if you are attending the BMW meet?
i might pop-along in my Supra :D .. just to say hello

back on topic: might be worth posting a pic up of your Legnum's stance as it is just now? .. might help with what ride height would be best for your need's?

fluffnik
31-01-2009, 03:56 AM
slightly off topic ... ;) what car are you taking on sunday .. well that is if you are attending the BMW meet?
i might pop-along in my Supra :D .. just to say hello

Don't think I'm going to make it - old friend in town; much stuff, little time...

It'll be the B10 if we do though.

back on topic: might be worth posting a pic up of your Legnum's stance as it is just now? .. might help with what ride height would be best for your need's?

(standard 525tds for comparison)

It's pretty slammed, which looks great, but is unsuited to Highland single tracks and Alpine passes.

...and fat paraplegics getting oot. /Grrr

I think we want to get back to near standard ride hight, maybe -15mm, -20mm tops.

fluffnik
31-01-2009, 04:30 AM
keep the higher spring rate and go with slightly longer ones if you need to raise the car. Don't go with lower spring rates, think about what will happen when you go over a bump or whatever, you'll still end up bottoming out.

I was thinking the same Rate X Length value - higher static ride, same force to hit the bump stops...

Are there self contained constant ride hight rear shocks available? We're going to do a fair bit of laden running but it would be nice to avoid having the tail too far in the air unladen.