PDA

View Full Version : Another damn Scotsman!!

storm
05-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Hi guys and gals,

I've been lurking on this forum for a while, so thought I'd better register and identify myself!

I've been the proud owner of a (mildly modded) Mazda MX6 for the last 6 years and have finally decided it's time to trade the old chariot for a different model.

Bearing in mind my "advancing years", I thought that I'd better get sensible and look at something "a bit less sporty looking" lol.

Needs at the present time would suggest that an estate type car is in order (4 Siberian Huskies don't fit in an MX6). I have a mate who is a retired mechanic and has a Stagea - his advice is (surprise, surprise) "go for a Stagea", however, I just don't think that it has the looks of a Legnum.

I've never been keen on autoboxes and have no experience whatsoever of tiptronic changing. The aforementioned retired mechanic assures me that there is "a design fault" in the Legnum autobox with some sort of shaft being too short, which is really swaying me into holding out for a manual car.

I'm spending a lot of time trawling autotrader and ebay looking for the perfect car, but we all know how hard that is to find! I'm not in a hurry so have the luxury of being able to wait for something that appears right.

Got to admit I feel like a complete newbie on here - I'm a moderator on the MX6 board and am more used to giving advice than asking for it!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I'll take all help and advice gracefully and GRATEFULLY!!!

Thanks

Graeme

bradc
05-02-2009, 11:49 PM
The autos are fine if they have been given the right fluid and have had it changed regularly. If they don't have the right fluid then they will die. No idea what shaft he is talking about!

peter thomson
06-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Hi and welcome to the club

andydckent
06-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Welcome!!

You've come to the right place! These guys really know their stuff!

Andy:afro:

ritch_w
06-02-2009, 07:17 AM
hi and /Welcome2

miller
06-02-2009, 09:51 AM
What shaft is he talking about? Hid own? Not heard anything of that sort!

Welcome aboard CVR4

Mike

retrogeordy
06-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Welcome to the site and good luck with your search for the "perfect leggy". I also have a Huskey. although mine is an alsken malamute. You have enough for a sled team !

col1n
06-02-2009, 01:34 PM
welcome tae the club bud/rally

storm
06-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Ahh - thank you all for the warm welcome - you seem like a friendly enough lot (so far!).

I am delighted to hear that there is no such "design fault" in the autobox, however I've always had manuals so think I will try to stick with them unless i can be persuaded otherwise!

On that subject, is there anyone locally (Central Scotlandish) who is brave enough to give me a first hand look at their VR4? I promise I won't hurt it!!

Taaaaaaaa again

Graeme

unclepete
06-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Wanna look at a couple of VR4s? I'm near Fife, near Stirling. Mine are both autos and they're magic (had them a few years).

fluffnik
06-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Come along to the Moffat Meet (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36550) on the 28th and, um, meet some Legnums and their people. :)

storm
07-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the invite Fluffnik, but, it appears that my "addiction" has a previous engagement (St Johnstone are at home to Dundee!) on that date.

However, I have had a very kind offer from a member on here to inspect his "Leggies" so to speak, so that would appear to be the next, logical, step.
Uncle Pete, you have a pm - thanks mate.

Graeme

Nick VR4
07-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Hi and welcome :D

valleyforge1
08-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Hi and welcome along to the club. Get to thje Moffat meet as fluffnik says.

Nick Mann
08-02-2009, 08:26 PM
I have also never heard of the short shaft thing. I have no idea which shaft it would be?

The Stuglier is a fine machine from the power/modification point of view, I guess, as the serious make-it-quicker parts are easy to buy. The VR4 suffers from a lack of serious bolt-on upgrades, so once you hit the limit of the turbos you are looking at a whole lot of money to go further.

The auto is pretty good in many respects. Mine is now a manual but sometimes I do miss the auto. Having said that, sometimes I don't! /rally

elnevio
08-02-2009, 08:29 PM
/Welcome2 to CVR4!

Yes, the auto 'box in these certainly isn't ordinary!