PDA

View Full Version : Rear suspension lower than front, pros / cons?

CJay
07-02-2009, 09:21 AM
My Tein coilovers are set as low as they can go in terms of speed ramp clearance etc but the car still pitches forward as if it wasn't lowered when applying the brakes moderately (if you get my drift). Damping levels are set to the lowest level (i.e. hard).

If I drop the rear height slightly lower than the front, will this:

1. Help cure the pitching issue?
2. Screw with the handling?

Any other alternatives or should I just live with the fact that the Galant is a heavy car and it will pitch forward regardless when applying the brakes hard in a straight line?

CJ

bradc
07-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Lowering the rear will help a bit, but ultimately stiffer front springs will be the only thing that helps much.

CJay
07-02-2009, 12:29 PM
I jacked up the rear and 'lowered' the lower spring nut by 8mm (clockwise) and tightened up the lock nut. There was no measured drop in terms of the distance between the centre of the wheel and the wheel arch (havn't driven car yet).

Have I lowered the suspension or changesdthe spring rate?!

Another question, the model no on the dampers is D9R43-11531 (EC5W), I can't find a reference to this Tein model on the web, anyone?

CJ

Davezj
07-02-2009, 01:37 PM
yes you have lowered the height of the suspension. it will probably take a bit of weight in the boot or a bit of driving to get them to settle back down to the new level.

let me clarify:-

as long as the spring seat nut has moved down the shock shaft thead taking tension off the spring then you have lowered the suspension.

depend on the damper version 16 or 32 setting.
i believe the hardest setting is turning the nob on the top fully clockwise and softest is 16/32 clicks anti clockwise from there. but don't more than 16/32 click as this can damage the damper mechanisum inside the shock.

CJay
07-02-2009, 01:45 PM
as long as the spring seat nut has moved down the shock shaft thead taking tension off the spring then you have lowered the suspension

Thanks for the clarification Dave, off I go for a spin!

Edit: went for a spin and the rear suspension dropped by 8mm as was mentioned.

Observations: The car doesn't pitch as much up front when applying the brakes, definite improvement. You can feel the change in rear ride height when driving, its not significant but theres definetely a feeling of being lower down at the rear.

Hopefully this configuration won't impact on handling @ speed, time will tell...

CJ