PDA

View Full Version : Tiptronic question

nads1978
08-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Hi guys, visiting from the Lancer register (MLR).
Hoping someone can give me some advise.

I have a :3d: Evo 7 GT-A, which I believe is the same gearbox (INVECS-II) as you guys have in your tiptronic editions.

Basically, I'm wanting to play with ECU ROMs, but have heard a rumour that the gearbox is controlled from the main ECU, therefore I cant use a ROM from a manual car.

Can anyone confirm weather or not the INVECS-II tiptronic 5 speed is controlled by the engine ECU or a dedicated gearbox ECU?

(bear in mind my ECU ROM does stipulate that it is for an auto)

Thanks

peter thomson
08-02-2009, 06:04 PM
It has a dedicated ecu but the 2 ecu's do communicate with each other but an ecu from a manual VR4 works fine with an auto

Nutter_John
08-02-2009, 06:04 PM
The vr4 uses a seperate gearbox ecu , I would imagine that the GTA will do as well

nads1978
08-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the speedy replies guys. Maybe I'll just flash a new ROM and see what happens!

Nutter_John
08-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Are you talking about flashing the Main ecu or the g'nox ecu ?

nads1978
08-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Main ECU, to add TEPHRA mods, ie. 'valet mode' & 'map switching'

Davezj
08-02-2009, 06:12 PM
would you like to elaberate on the "I'll just flash a new ROM and see what happens" as far as i am aware the ECU's in the VR4#s are not flashable (well not yet, it is being worked on as we speek). can you explain what you mean "flash a new ROM" with what software, cable and it might be nice if you can give us you Auto trans ECU Part number so we can check if it is the same as ours for deffinate.
Cheers dave

Nutter_John
08-02-2009, 06:14 PM
should make no difference afaik , but I would take a backup copy of the stock rom and imboliser code

From what i have worked out the gearbox ecu just talks to the main ecu and asks questions about whats going on , in the same way we would use evoscan - but the gbox uses a private data line and not the obd2 line

Nutter_John
08-02-2009, 06:15 PM
would you like to elaberate on the "I'll just flash a new ROM and see what happens" as far as i am aware the ECU's in the VR4#s are not flashable (well not yet, it is being worked on as we speek). can you explain what you mean "flash a new ROM" with what software, cable and it might be nice if you can give us you Auto trans ECU Part number so we can check if it is the same as ours for deffinate.
Cheers dave

he has an evo gta Dave and not an vr4

nads1978
08-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Cheers dave

TEPHRA ROM
INVECS-II box - if I knew where the ecu was or looked like - i'd tell you!
EcuFlash
Limitless cable

Cheers

nads1978
08-02-2009, 06:19 PM
should make no difference afaik , but I would take a backup copy of the stock rom and imboliser code

From what i have worked out the gearbox ecu just talks to the main ecu and asks questions about whats going on , in the same way we would use evoscan - but the gbox uses a private data line and not the obd2 line

Okay, that is helpful thanks :)

Davezj
08-02-2009, 06:26 PM
he has an evo gta Dave and not an vr4

i know he has an evo.

but if it has the same gear box and ECU as ours in the VR4 how come he is able to flash the ecu and we can not.

Edit:-
OK so he is flashing the engine ECU not the Gearbox ECU that make more sense.

Nutter_John
08-02-2009, 06:32 PM
The ecu will be the standard evo one i would imagine

nads1978
08-02-2009, 06:35 PM
The ecu will be the standard evo one i would imagine

Yes, mine is. it just has a different ROM

i know he has an evo.

but if it has the same gear box and ECU as ours in the VR4 how come he is able to flash the ecu and we can not.

Well, I have read my main ECU (saved the ROM), but not written to it yet. Is it the same ECU? If so then it should not be a problem for you

*edit. there are VR4 ROMs on 4g63.co.uk, so it must be possible

Nutter_John
08-02-2009, 06:38 PM
have you compared the difference in the rom image from yours to the one you want to try ?

Those imagines for the VR4 on 4g63.co.uk , will be for the 6th gen vr4 which used the evo block

the 8th gen is a different engine a v6 twin turbo'd one (6a13)

nads1978
08-02-2009, 06:39 PM
have you compared the difference in the rom image from yours to the one you want to try ?

Yes, but to be fair - I don't really understand most of it!

nads1978
08-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Now I know from here, that there is a separate ECU - I'm consulting the 'super geeks' at geekmapped.com

if you are interested, thread is here Geek thread (http://geekmapped.com/forums/showthread.php?p=873&posted=1#post873)

bradc
08-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Are you a member on MLR? I'd imagine they would be the best place to ask the remapping question.

Over in Aussie there have been a few auto's that have been remapped with a piggy back without any problems. I would imagine with an EVO 7 which is flashable you'd be able to flash the stock ecu as well as install a piggy back with no problems.

nads1978
08-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Are you a member on MLR? I'd imagine they would be the best place to ask the remapping question.

Over in Aussie there have been a few auto's that have been remapped with a piggy back without any problems. I would imagine with an EVO 7 which is flashable you'd be able to flash the stock ecu as well as install a piggy back with no problems.

Yeah I'm a member there, but mapping is not the issue, and not many Evos have the tiptronic box, it is a lot more popular with the VR4, so thought I'd pop in here!.

I have had it remapped.

I want to flash other ROMs, with features such as 'valet mode', but not to conflict with the auto box. All the modified ROMs are for manuals.

bradc
08-02-2009, 07:19 PM
I can't imagine you'll have much of a problem based on what I've seen with VR-4's, as long as throttle position, rpm and so on are getting through to the gearbox, the ecu's should just work together.