PDA

View Full Version : Possible Group Buy on BC racing coilovers

pitslayer
13-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Just found out that a local company to me, are now stocking BC racing coilovers
here is the info I have got on them

Hi all.....

Im very happy to tell you all that Ninja Tune Factory is now a BC racing dealer. BC racing are a new name in the Japanese tuning seen. BC racing are a new suspention brand offering full adjustbel cover kits for most Japanese cars. All the BC rang is TUV certified so you are safe in the knowledge that the coilovers are of the highest quality and standards.

The BC coilovers come with the following:

*Hight adjustment
*Rebound adjustment
*Pillow ball topmounts
*Nitrogen pressurised dampers
*Camber adjustment

Prices start at 579.00 (we also offer a full fitting and set up services)

for the VR4s they offer two types, type RA and type MA

Seem a good price considering, Teins from camskill are close to £800 now, and well we all know how much the cusco stuff is, and importing from Japan at the moment with the exchange rate isnt that good.

So at£579, seem to be a bit of a bargain

edit: I have just been informed by Lionel that if there is a group buy he will organise a better price for them aswell

edit: cheers Nev, guys the min order for a group buy is 4, which isnt bad, but would be even cheaper again, will find out what tye RA and MA are and which is for the galant and legnums

elnevio
13-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Good find Kyle! Updated the thread title - might be some decent interest maybe?

MPBVr4
14-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Might be interested. What spring rates are they offering?

pitslayer
14-02-2009, 12:08 AM
WHERES MY POST GONE NO!!!!! I CLOSED IT DOWN!!!!!

Right Type MA are more expenisve, and they are pro circuit and fast road use, the Type RA are road and circuit use, so I am guessing they will be prefered (type RA that is) the only difference between MA and RA is that hte MA uses Inverted Shock - Camber Pillowball Top Mount.
BR Series Coilover : Type RA

For Street and Circuit Use

Specifications

Front Coilovers : Pillowball Top Mount.

Front Spring Rate : 10kg/mm (558.7lbs/in)

Rear Coilovers : Rubber Top Mount or No Top Mount.

Rear Spring Rate : 6kg/mm (335.2lbs/in)

Information

The BR series coilovers use a large 44mm diameter piston in a 53mm diameter damper body to maximise oil capacity. As the damper unit operates the oil contained within heats up. The viscosity of oil changes as its temperature varies which can lead to changes in the damping characteristics of the unit.

BC Racing only use a very high quality oil with their coilovers but go that extra mile to maximise performance and build their BR range with a large 53mm diameter damper body. This increases the capacity of the unit which increases the volume of oil contained which in turn reduces the peak temperature and so significantly improves damper performance

BR Series Street and Circuit Coilover

Pillowball upper mount
Camber adjustable top mounts
Aluminium top plates
30 way adjustable damping
Adjustable spring platform
Height adjustment via bottom mount to retain full damper travel
Bearing mounted upper front spring platform
Dust boot to protect damper seals
* some features are dependent on model

The BR series coilovers use a large 44mm diameter piston in a 53mm diameter damper body to maximise oil capacity.

As the damper unit opearates the oil contained within heats up. The viscosity of oil changes as its temperature varies which can lead to changes in the damping characteristic of the unit.

BC Racing only use a very high quality oil with their coilovers but go that extra mile to maximise performance and build their BR range with a large 53mm diameter damper body. This increases the capacity of the unit which increases the volume of oil contained which in turn reduces the peak temperature and so significantly improves damper performance.

Corner weight adjustment:

The lower spring platform of the BC Racing coilovers are adjustable. This allows the car to be set up for corner weighting to achieve perfect balance and ensures that maximum tyre efficiency is achieved.

The car needs to be placing equal weight on each tyre on an axle so both front tyres need to be taking equal loading as do both rears. This makes sure that both tyres are doing their equal share of work when cornering which increases overall grip, maximises corner speed and reduces lap times.

Optional assister springs can be purchased to allow wheel droop to be dialled into the unit to suit specific needs.
BR CoiloverRide height adjustment

Ride height is determined by the position of the coilover bottom mount. The mount can be wound up and down the damper body to give a full range of adjustment from near standard ride height to so low it wouldn’t be drivable on the road.

Because ride height is determined by an adjustable bottom mount rather than spring platform you retain full damper travel regardless of the ride height run.
Damping Adjustment on the BR SeriesDamping adjustment:

BR coilovers feature 30 way damping adjustment that combines both rebound and compression in one adjuster for simplicity and ease of use. This adjustable facility allows you to fine tune the vehicle to meet the relevant conditions.

By tweaking front and rear damping you can adjust the way the car handles. Increasing damping force on the rear relative to the front, for example, will start moving the vehicle into a more oversteer orientated stance.

If you want to go drag racing in a rear wheel drive car then you want the back of the car to squat off the line to maximise weight transfer to the rear and therefore onto the rear tyres. This maximises traction and helps prevent wheel spin. To achieve this you would soften the rear dampers to allow faster compression. If you had the rear dampers set to hard, as you might run the car on a race track, then the car would be less inclined to squat so traction would be reduced.

Conversely, if you want to go drifting and are finding it hard to break traction and are having problems with understeer then making the rear dampers harder will help reduce traction whilst making the front dampers softer will give greater front traction. This will make the rear of the car looser whilst minimising understeer thus altering the vehicles handling characteristics more towards drift than drag, road or track.
BR Series Pillowball Upper MountPillowball (rose joint) upper mount:

Many of the BC Racing BR coilovers come with pillowball upper mounts. The mount itself is made from aluminium alloy, anodised and then bead blasted to give a high quality, durable finish.

The pillowballs themselves are of Japanese manufacture and their solid nature eliminates any flex or play associated with the standard rubber mounts so improving response and handling.
Camber adjustment:

If its possible to include camber adjustment on your vehicle then the BC Racing coilovers automatically include camber adjustable aluminium pillowball top mounts. These feature the same high quality Japanese manufactured pillowball but give the added benefit of an adjustable top mount that allows camber to be set to suit your needs be it road, track or drift.
Corrosion protection:

The damper units are black chromed steel to give superb durability even through the darkest of European winters. The aluminium components (top mounts, locking collars etc) are anodised and the steel lower mounts go through an electrophoretic disposition process followed by powder coating. A random selection of steel components (brackets, dampers, screws etc) are put through a salt spray test once a month to check the quality of the protective processes and that anti corrosive properties are kept at the highest possible standard.
Quality SpringsHigh quality coil springs:

BC Racing coilovers only use the highest quality steel for their spring manufacturer. They are produced from SAE9254 high strength durable cold wound steel.

The springs are compression tested through over 500,000 cycles with less that 5% deformation.
TUV certification:

TUVBC Racing products are TUV certified so you are safe in the knowledge that the coilovers are of the highest quality and standards. The TUV certificate is your guarantee that the BC Racing coilovers are 100% fit for purpose.

TÜVs (short for Technischer Überwachungs-Verein, Technical Monitoring Association in English) are German organizations that work to validate the safety of products of all kinds to protect people and the environment against hazards.

As an independent consultant, they examine monitoring-needy plants, motor vehicles, energy installations, devices and products (e.g consumer goods).

The many subsidiaries of the TÜVs can also appear as project developers for energy and traffic concepts, problem solutions in the area of environmental protection and as certification bodies. Many of the TÜV organizations also provide registration to various standards such as, ISO9001:2000 quality management system and ISO/TS16949 automotive quality management system.
Patented concave lower locking collar:

Coilovers use a locking collar to prevent the bottom mount becoming loose. If the bottom mount becomes loose then the damper body can work its way down into the bottom mount so reducing ride height on that one corner which can lead to dangerous handling characteristics. This is a very common problem for coilovers in general. BC Racing utilise an innovative and patented designed lower locking collar with a bevelled edge that seats into a corresponding bevel in the coilover bottom mount. This vastly increases the surface area that the locking collar works on and so prevents the common and dangerous problem of the locking collars working loose.
High quality oil:

BC Racing dampers use a sophisticated shim stack design and high quality oil to consistently control the compression and rebound speed of the damper rod even under the most extreme conditions.

pitslayer
14-02-2009, 12:09 AM
As the vehicles travels over rough ground the compression and rebound motion of the damper rod heats the oil. Poor quality dampers use cheap oil whose characteristics alter with varying temperatures. Its vital that high quality oil is used that can maintain consistent viscosity under a wide temperature operating range. Once the oil start to degrade, its properties change leading to damping changes leading to changes in the vehicles handling characteristics.

BC Racing ensures that only high quality oil is used so that damping rates are maintained not only for the moment in hand (i.e. whilst out for a back road blast on or track) but that long term longevity is maximised with oil that doesn’t degrade quickly over time thus extending the dampers operating life significantly.
Nitrogen pressurised dampers:

When you work a damper hard on track or on high speed bumpy roads you can cause the oil to aerate and cavitation can occour. This causes foaming which effectively reduces the oils viscosity and so reduces the units damping effect. High quality oil goes a long way to help reduce this problem but BC Racing go one step further and pressurise the dampers with nitrogen. The nitrogen exerts a pressure on a floating piston which in turn exerts a permanent pressure on the oil dramatically reducing aeration and so improving the consistency and quality of the damping. The pressurised nitrogen also adds an additional element of effective spring rate to the damper unit.
Bearing mounted upper spring platform:

Because the spring twists as it compresses it is very important to minimise stiction between the spring and its seats. If this tension is not relieved then spring binding can occur leading to the spring rate effectively altering slightly as the spring compresses and extends. The tension generated can lead to rapid deterioration of the spring pearches and in extreme cases can cause the spring platform and locking collars to loosen. This can lead to the platform and locking collars ‘walking’ down the damper resulting in un even ride height and danger of the spring dislocating under full damper extension.

The friction between spring and seats also has an effect on steering effort as the springs are physically turned with the wheels. This introduces additional unnecessary friction into the steering system which has a knock on detrimental effect on the vehicles handling characteristics.

The bearing mounted upper spring platform is one of BC Racings innovative designs. By vastly reducing stiction between the spring and its seats the BC Racing units avoid the above problems thus improving the efficiency of the steering system and allowing the spring and damper to work as designed.

There are optional upgrades for these, but I think its best to leave htem out, just to keep costs down, and everything simple and the same

peter thomson
14-02-2009, 12:16 AM
If these are as low as the Daiyama coilovers with the spring rate above then I would want a higher rate as Nutter John had with his Daiyama's I have 10 on the front and 6 or 8 on the rear . I would be looking at a minimum of 14 on the front and 8 on the rear as my ones are unable to cope with the roads I use . Great on track but not for everyday driving.

pitslayer
14-02-2009, 02:29 AM
will check about the spring ratios. Unfortunatly I dont have any cash to even attempt to buy a set and fit them to find out

pitslayer
17-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Right just had confirmation spring ratios can be changed to what ever is needed

crazydriver81
20-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Hi there!

seems to be the system, which is produced by D2 Racing Taiwan (also manufactures K-Sport and similar). You don't change the spring tension while changing the ride height.

I have the D2 Racing coilovers "street" mounted and I am still satisfied.
- lowering possible around 80mm (and even more)
- 36 stage adjustable dampers
- several spring rates available

The bad point is, that short bumps are directly going through the car (e.g. gully covers).

Here you can see the availability: coilover kits Mitsubishi (http://www.d2racingsport.com/type-street.htm#MITSUBISHI)

However, I've ordered the kit directly in Taiwan and paid total 500 GBP (inc. 3 day shipment and custom taxes). The coilover kit come only with Aluminium upper mounts. Pillowball mounts doesn't make sense because of the wishbone axles...

GOOD LUCK WITH THE GROUP BUY!!! :D:D:D

W4dey
21-02-2009, 09:37 PM
prob the dumbest question in the world, but ive been workin on car for last 4 hours so let me off lol

will these fit and work as well on my 2.4GDI? obs slightly diff from the vr4s

struggling to find suspension soloutions in the price range at mo, so if the did work would be interested :)

pitslayer
24-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Right spoken with the guy today, the spring rates can be changed no problem does anyone know what the spring rates are for other shocks so I can figure out a good base to start with

edit:W4dey, I will find out if they fit, but you might struggle, IIRC, the VR4 is a much heavier car than the normal Galants, so the springs would be a lot harder ride wise, and might sit to high, but I am sure someone will confirm if this is right or wrong

pitslayer
24-07-2009, 02:53 AM
Waiting for spring rates, can still get them if people are interested

orionn2o
24-07-2009, 08:38 AM
I think if you can confirm that you can get them with a suitable spring rate for the car there should be a bit of interest!

pitslayer
24-07-2009, 01:39 PM
I can get them with any spring rate eta: I just need someone to give me a base line spring rate

bradc
24-07-2009, 09:37 PM
The stock spring rates, at least what we get in this part of the world are 12kg F and 6kg R. Personally I think 8kg R would be a better option with the 12kg front. You can ask for any combination though in 2kg increments.

stock =3.6kg/mm (F)
2.5kg/mm (R)

Most Tein springs are 5kg F and 3kg R, or 8kg F, 5kg R

pitslayer
24-07-2009, 09:52 PM
so you reckon that 12kg front and 8kg rear would be good, I dont know of anyone who has used these yet, will ask about there spring rates compared to Teins, and work from there

nuster100
07-08-2009, 12:16 AM
This still ongoing?

Jay

pitslayer
07-08-2009, 12:45 AM
I will pop down to Lionel this week and find out, but need a minimum order

nuster100
07-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Even £579 seems a good price considering tiens are £800+ atm.

Jay

HPRULZ
07-08-2009, 09:09 AM
sounds good
kev

orionn2o
07-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Yep get some details Pits!

eddyvr4
07-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Guys, im running the BR series on my car and did a pretty comprehensive review on them on OZVR4, may answer many questions...

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5702

Eddy

pitslayer
07-08-2009, 03:57 PM
any chance of copy and pasting your thoughts? Not registered on ozvr4

Atik
07-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Great review over on the Oz site.

So, Pits, get some more details and I too may be interested in this kit.

peter thomson
07-08-2009, 05:35 PM
any chance of copy and pasting your thoughts? Not registered on ozvr4

It's very easy to register and it's free

pitslayer
07-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Yes but registering on forums just irritates me, takes far to much time /lol

eta: just sent an email of to my man in the know, and see what he comes back with

eddyvr4
08-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Honestly its worth registering.. there multiple pics and multiple pages of entries for the BC coilover thread, pain in the arse to paste it all over here, and then need to do updates in 2 spots.. bugger that..!

bradc
08-08-2009, 07:37 PM
If you register and be annoying I will ban you :D

peter thomson
08-08-2009, 07:55 PM

Not if I get there first;)

ANTHONY
08-08-2009, 08:58 PM
If you register and be annoying I will ban you :Dyou guys downunder dont muck around do ya :flamed:

pitslayer
08-08-2009, 09:55 PM
The kind of annoying where people go on about how great there manual gearboxes are?

ANTHONY
08-08-2009, 09:58 PM
The kind of annoying where people go on about how great there manual gearboxes are?narr/STP

pitslayer
08-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Right I can still sort a group buy price, so let me know what set you want and the spring rates, and I will get onto it

Nutter_John
10-08-2009, 11:06 PM
pits , can you find out a price for the following please

8k front , 6kg rears

and how long for delivery

need to know asap , or do you have a contact for the guy and I will call him direct

Nutter_John
16-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks for all you help on this Kyle , you've been fantatsic

Ninja Tune Factory
St.Stephens Road
Newport
South Wales
NP20 2JJ
UK
Phone: 01633 253334

Axeboy
16-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Im interested in a set for a 6g

Atik
16-08-2009, 10:36 PM
I'd be interested in a set of 12kg fronts and 8kg rears

pitslayer
17-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Should we make a list of possibles, to gauge how many want stuff and what they want?

nuster100
17-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Yeah, im v intrested. Would take me a month or 2 to get that kind of cash together though.

Jay

pitslayer
17-08-2009, 03:21 PM
BC Coilover group buy list on BC coilovers BR series B-01-RS on the standard spring rates, unless everyone agrees on one set of spring rates, not sure if this will effect price. Copy and paste names below please

Nutter_John
17-08-2009, 03:21 PM
pits , can you find out a price for the following please

8k front , 6kg rears

and how long for delivery

need to know asap , or do you have a contact for the guy and I will call him direct

so whats the delivery time on these units

1 day or 6 weeks ??

pitslayer
17-08-2009, 03:52 PM
You will probably be looking at a few weeks, I have to head into newport later I will try and catch him and speak to him

ETA and a couple of weeks to put the order together

Axeboy
17-08-2009, 05:42 PM
1. Axeboy - BR Series Coilover : Type RA - E39A. BC Racing SKU : B-21

pitslayer
17-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Been told providing everyone orders the same and doesnt mess about with spring rates then delivery is going to be about a week, and the more that is order, the better the price.

Axeboy-Shouldnt be a problem about getting 6th gen will double check for you thoug

Nutter_John
17-08-2009, 09:38 PM
kyle do we know if these units can run with the level set to stock height ???

pitslayer
17-08-2009, 10:02 PM
kyle do we know if these units can run with the level set to stock height ???

According to the review

If required you could drop the car as little as 10mm, although i think trying to run it at OEM height as they advertise is possible would be right on the very limit, (25mm thread still in the bottom bracket) but if you assume a minimum of 10mm drop, and a maximum of, well, way too much.

So I would say yes, or at least very close to stock height, dropping 10mm, would probably keep it relatively stock looking but close up the monstrous arch gaps

Nutter_John
17-08-2009, 10:06 PM
According to the review

So I would say yes, or at least very close to stock height, dropping 10mm, would probably keep it relatively stock looking but close up the monstrous arch gaps

ok thats fine , i did see the near stock statement but as with the diyamas i thought it maybe a case of 20-30 min due to the size of the collar

I have a definate order for a set of these and need them by 2nd week in september at the latest , if you speak to Ninja tune can you get them to confirm that they can deliver a standard set for £579 by 12th sept

pitslayer
17-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Spoke to Lionel earlier, he said that if anyone wanted a set before a certain time, he can order them in, your best bet to be honest John is to ring Lionel tomorrow say what you want, and what you need and by when and he should sort you out, only reason I say this, is your obviously on a time limit, and I forget things, quickly, and this group buy will probably take a few weeks to run its course, and teh 12th is 4 weeks, if that away.

:)

Nutter_John
17-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Spoke to Lionel earlier, he said that if anyone wanted a set before a certain time, he can order them in, your best bet to be honest John is to ring Lionel tomorrow say what you want, and what you need and by when and he should sort you out, only reason I say this, is your obviously on a time limit, and I forget things, quickly, and this group buy will probably take a few weeks to run its course, and teh 12th is 4 weeks, if that away.

:)

no worries I will speak with mr Richie tomorrow

Thanks for the efforts so far , maybe you not that much of a cock after all :p ;)

Nutter_John
19-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Been trying to get hold of these guys , but they never seem to answer the phone

Now that in itself may not be an issue but if I can't get through to place an order what are they going to be like for after sales support

pitslayer
19-08-2009, 03:30 PM
He is a constantly busy usually prepping drift cars etc if you keep ringing or leave a message he usually calls back :)

Nutter_John
19-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Just Spoke with Lionel , Top bloke

An order will be placed with him tomorrow for a bobby bargian price

pitslayer
19-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Told ya ;) and yes he is a top bloke, unless it comes to doing ht leads on a VR4 /lol

pitslayer
23-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Right guys I am putting a cut off date of saturday the 19th september, a minimum of 4 orders, if there isnt 4 or more I wont run this, will confirm prices tomorow

1. Axeboy - BR Series Coilover : Type RA - E39A. BC Racing SKU : B-21

BR series coilover: 8th gen VR4

Atik
24-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Ok, I need a confirmed price before I can commit one way or another. I'm interested but with the Brembo conversion in the pipeline, I'm not sure how much my finances can stretch to.